Thoughts on MFP's default macros?

Options
lgfrie
lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
So I just used the MFP goals tool again after plugging away for a while at the last set of numbers and, as usual, it defaulted my macros to Carb 50, Fat 30, Protein 20. I always immediately customize this to how I actually eat, which is 35/35/30. Just wondering if anyone uses MFP's defaults. 50 % calories from carbohydrates seems very high and I don't think I know anyone who diets like that! Not that I think that would be bad, it just seems so ... 1980s. Or am I wrong?

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    i do the same as you...35/35/30 yeah, 50% c is too high for me at least.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I find 50% C makes me super hungry.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The MFP default works quite well for me.

I was raised during the height of low fat. Protein wasn't discussed and carbs dominated. The only RD that I've ever visited (decades ago) gave me two parameters for weight loss: under 1200 calories and under 25g of fat.

With my current macro awareness, I'd say that most of my pre-MFP weight loss efforts (of which there have been many) were in the neighborhood of 10% protein, 15% fat, and 75% carbs.

For long term compliance, I think it's a good idea to start from your current macro distribution and make decisions and adjustments from there. As long as a person is getting at least enough protein and fat (which the MFP defaults provide), macro split is really about what works to keep that individual satiated and heading toward their personal goals.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit. I lose weight.

I can't even tell you what my macros are.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to macro percents. Now in maintenance, I eat 100g protein minimum, 50g fats minimum, 5+ minimum (preferably 10+) 80g servings of veg/fruit, and let carbs/alcohol land wherever to hit calorie goal. I don't care where carbs are at all.

Looking backwards at weeks, MFP says that usually puts me around 45% carbs, 30% fats, 25% protein, not that far off the MFP default numbers.

I'm female, age 63, 5'5", weight mid-130s, 45+ years ovo-lacto vegetarian, quite athletically active but otherwise sedentary, if any of that matters to anyone for interpretation purposes.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The MFP default macros may be a little less protein heavy than some people will want, particularly at a lower calorie goal. But they are close. I personally do 45/30/25.

The MFP calorie goals aren't actually as carb intensive as you would think. Carbs have traditionally always been the biggest macros of traditional eating patterns. In fact, the USDA nutritional guidelines (the things that give you the percentages on your nutritonal label) are actually more carb intensive than MFP. Their defaults are 60/30/10. That may sound crazy to us here with how protein crazy people sometimes get.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I loosely follow the DASH way of eating that aligns fairly closely to the default MFP macros.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    My carbs run 45-50%, the rest is approximately split evenly between fats and protein. Pescatarian, but mostly vegetarian. I can't even picture what I would eat if I tried to lower carbs. I am crazy about veggies and fruit. Not as much of my carbs comes from grains. My husband doesn't use MFP, but I bet he hits 60% or even higher for carbs.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do 50-60% carbs daily (350-450gcarbs right now); protein is fixed at 135g and fill rest in with fats
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I found the default macros I immediately fell for it. I felt great that I could eat pasta and rice and pizza and bread and still loose weight. I find walnuts help for good fats and Greek yogurt for protein. I use a food scale to make sure my serving size is accurate and log everything. I lost 40 lbs in five months and have kept it off for 4 months. Is anybody worried holloweeen candy is starting to come around ...?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I haven't bothered to change the defaults but I'm consistently a bit low on carbs and a bit high on fats, so I think my actual intake is probably similar to your targets. Sugar leaves me hungry, fat fills me up, so mis-targeting the targets as I do keeps me from being hungry while within my calorie budget.

When I was trying to do Atkins the halloween candy was nearly irresistible. With what I'm doing now I really don't have any desire for sweets. Rarely I want some chocolate and a square of Ghirardelli 90%-ish dark is adequate.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    mpapa1856 wrote: »
    Is anybody worried holloweeen candy is starting to come around ...?
    Most candy bars come in multiple sizes. Companies used sell bags of tiny sizes only around Halloween but now you can get Mini versions that are in the 40-60 calorie range year-round.

I have a bag full of multiple flavors and have one piece every day to finish out Breakfast.

It really helps me fight other tempting things to know that I had one bar today and will have one tomorrow.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    mpapa1856 wrote: »
    When I found the default macros I immediately fell for it. I felt great that I could eat pasta and rice and pizza and bread and still loose weight. I find walnuts help for good fats and Greek yogurt for protein. I use a food scale to make sure my serving size is accurate and log everything. I lost 40 lbs in five months and have kept it off for 4 months. Is anybody worried holloweeen candy is starting to come around ...?

Not really, because almost 100% of the candy is the exact same stuff I can get any time of the year, just in different packaging. It's not special; therefore, I can get it anytime I want it. I don't have to eat it just because it's in front of me now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't pay much attention to macro percents. Now in maintenance, I eat 100g protein minimum, 50g fats minimum, 5+ minimum (preferably 10+) 80g servings of veg/fruit, and let carbs/alcohol land wherever to hit calorie goal. I don't care where carbs are at all.

Looking backwards at weeks, MFP says that usually puts me around 45% carbs, 30% fats, 25% protein, not that far off the MFP default numbers.

I'm female, age 63, 5'5", weight mid-130s, 45+ years ovo-lacto vegetarian, quite athletically active but otherwise sedentary, if any of that matters to anyone for interpretation purposes.

Pretty much this, except my protein min is more like 75 g when not losing, 95 g when eating at a deficit (I'm only 5'3, and estimate my lean mass at 95 g, so 75 is .8 of that). I'm always eating plenty of fat without counting, so other than protein I look at veg (I plan to hit 10+ servings, although it's more about eating at least half my meal from them every meal) and fiber and make sure to eat some fruit most days. I do think about fat (although not numbers) in that when I am eating meat I make sure to eat a good bit of fatty fish (salmon, trout, etc.) and also usually eat a serving of nuts and half an avocado when good ones are reasonably available and cook with olive oil.

My natural eating preferences tend to be around 40 (carbs)-30-30 when dieting and more like 40-50 carbs, 20-30 protein, and 30-40 fat when not losing, but I couldn't care less about percentages. I have tried eating mostly or all plant-based from time to time, and then I eat more like 50% or more carbs consistently, and haven't noticed it increasing my appetite in that context (even when I was doing it in the context of a much lower fat than usual diet). For me, macro percentages don't affect my appetite, although other aspects of food choice and timing do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I aim for 45/30/25, usually end up at more like 50/25/25. Most traditional ways of eating, full of veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans, and nuts are going to have you in the 50+% carb area, unless you specifically try to keep it lower.

Yes, and people who focus on plant-based protein will be in that 50+% carb range (unless they are doing something odd like vegan keto).