I AM HUNGRY ALL THE TIME

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    uhhh.... well... 127 is not very heavy, how tall are you?

She's only 4'11, so just into the "overweight" category. :smile:
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    uhhh.... well... 127 is not very heavy, how tall are you? after looking at your diary, higher protein... 30% in most studies shows a spontaneous reduction in an Ad Librium situation. Maybe limit the "junk" food. No food is good or bad. Focus on mostly whole foods. Not the store, but less processed.

I am 4'11, lol. So definitely not carrying around a lot of extra anything, but I would like to be more lean and healthier. I'm getting some chicken thighs to prep for lunches and a ton of vegetables and sweet potatoes, but it is FOR SURE the snack foods that are my weakness. The ones in my diary are more "whole" than an almond joy but still probably have too much sugar. I'm trying to train myself to only eat at certain times and it is SO difficult because I work in an office environment, with my own office. I can sit and eat all day..............
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    uhhh.... well... 127 is not very heavy, how tall are you? after looking at your diary, higher protein... 30% in most studies shows a spontaneous reduction in an Ad Librium situation. Maybe limit the "junk" food. No food is good or bad. Focus on mostly whole foods. Not the store, but less processed.

I am 4'11, lol. So definitely not carrying around a lot of extra anything, but I would like to be more lean and healthier. I'm getting some chicken thighs to prep for lunches and a ton of vegetables and sweet potatoes, but it is FOR SURE the snack foods that are my weakness. The ones in my diary are more "whole" than an almond joy but still probably have too much sugar. I'm trying to train myself to only eat at certain times and it is SO difficult because I work in an office environment, with my own office. I can sit and eat all day..............

sugar is not the enemy. Is an apple bad for you? lol... With soo little weight to lose, might I suggest a different strategy. Maybe a body recomp? Keep protein at 1gr per LBM, eat a a very slight def or maintenance and lift. Always shoot for progressive overload in a hypertrophy system. It can be a grind, but I have seen some amazing results in people. I mean if you are only trying to lose 5-7lbs of BF, whats the rush? Best of luck.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Looking at your diary there are quite a few areas you need to tighten up on to be sure you have the deficit you think you have.

I see a lot of generic entries such as ‘apple, medium’, ‘avocado, half’, ‘banana, medium’, ‘generic link sausage’, things measured in cups or part thereof etc.

Admittedly, I have minimal idea of what a lot of your logged foods actually are because I’m in the UK and my choice of food doesn’t resemble yours in any way, but the things I’ve mentioned stand out as examples of where actually weighing to the gram weight would be hugely beneficial when you’re on tight margins because you’re very short and only have a little to lose.
  • Camaramandy648
    Options

sugar is not the enemy. Is an apple bad for you? lol... With soo little weight to lose, might I suggest a different strategy. Maybe a body recomp? Keep protein at 1gr per LBM, eat a a very slight def or maintenance and lift. Always shoot for progressive overload in a hypertrophy system. It can be a grind, but I have seen some amazing results in people. I mean if you are only trying to lose 5-7lbs of BF, whats the rush? Best of luck.

That sounds so much more enjoyable. But. What is 1 gr per LBM exactly? And what is progressive overload/ hypertrophy system?
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    Looking at your diary there are quite a few areas you need to tighten up on to be sure you have the deficit you think you have.

I see a lot of generic entries such as ‘apple, medium’, ‘avocado, half’, ‘banana, medium’, ‘generic link sausage’, things measured in cups or part thereof etc.

Admittedly, I have minimal idea of what a lot of your logged foods actually are because I’m in the UK and my choice of food doesn’t resemble yours in any way, but the things I’ve mentioned stand out as examples of where actually weighing to the gram weight would be hugely beneficial when you’re on tight margins because you’re very short and only have a little to lose.

Hahaha yes, I am very short, rotfl. Both my kids are taller than me - they're 10 and 13!

I think you're right- I need to weigh more and track better.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

Hahaha yes, I am very short, rotfl. Both my kids are taller than me - they're 10 and 13!

I think you're right- I need to weigh more and track better.

I’m barely an inch taller and all 4 of my kids are way taller than I am, so I’m in tune with your issues! I have around 15lbs more to lose to be where I think I want to be, so I’m close to where you are. Logging has to be meticulous at this point. I look at it as a game...how clever can you be to satisfy your needs yet still come in under!?

It’s entirely possible, just look at where you can tweak your logging and give yourself the advantage 🤞
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I have my calories at 1270. I was at 1310 and then had gone lower, but just going from 1200 to 1270 made big difference. work out lifting weights and distance walking, work at Vitamin Shope so I am active. I am also very petite and 47.

Increasing protein and good fats has kept me more satisfied and lots of cruciferous and leafy greens. Plus hot tea.
  • psychod787
    edited October 2019
    Options

That sounds so much more enjoyable. But. What is 1 gr per LBM exactly? And what is progressive overload/ hypertrophy system?

Well, my opinions may not be popular, but they are mine. Imho, if you dont have a lot to lose, why be agressive? Learn to enjoy the process and how to maintain it. I made many mistakes when losing weight, not saying you will, but I have worked with several professionals and had to learn in a rush. Having to regain to even feel half normal. So, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 30% of overall calories is a good way to help maintain lean mass when losing fat. Higher protein intakes in weight loss have been shown to help reduce lean mass losses during dieting. Resistance training helps as well. A progressive hypertrophic system is lifting for muscle gain. Basically you are trying to lift more weight session to session. If you are doing a recomp, it might not be season to session. It might be a rep a week sometimes. If you are new to the gym, you have a magic window where you can lose fat and gain some muscle mass while eating at a slight deficit. Good luck. PM me if interested or talk to @psuLemon . Smart person there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @psychod787 I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's certainly one way to go. But... I'm 6 inches taller than the OP and I had to get below 130 before I even started to consider focusing on something other than weight loss. I know 127 sounds light, but as a petite female being 130 can still FEEL heavy, and is definitely not too lean.

So I'm not sure if I was OP I'd make weight loss secondary. But I'd wholly support focusing on strength training.

OP, if you don't know your BF% and lean body mass, you can use 0.8-1g of protein per lb of your goal body weight, so you'd aim for @ 100g of protein. And then lift heavy weights, with the constant goal of lifting heavier things :smile: . Maybe someone can link the sticky Which Lifting Program is Right for You.
  • psychod787
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well, my opinions may not be popular, but they are mine. Imho, if you dont have a lot to lose, why be agressive? Learn to enjoy the process and how to maintain it. I made many mistakes when losing weight, not saying you will, but I have worked with several professionals and had to learn in a rush. Having to regain to even feel half normal. So, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 30% of overall calories is a good way to help maintain lean mass when losing fat. Higher protein intakes in weight loss have been shown to help reduce lean mass losses during dieting. Resistance training helps as well. A progressive hypertrophic system is lifting for muscle gain. Basically you are trying to lift more weight session to session. If you are doing a recomp, it might not be season to session. It might be a rep a week sometimes. If you are new to the gym, you have a magic window where you can lose fat and gain some muscle mass while eating at a slight deficit. Good luck. PM me if interested or talk to @psuLemon . Smart person there.

I partially agree with the context of your post. Increasing protein does generally satiate people; at least as shown in studies. In some they might have to modify fats up or down to get the full impact. What is interesting that i am discovering while being ketogenic during this cut, is my cravings have generally stopped. Not suggesting keto, but get protein around 100-130g per days and modify fats up for a few weeks and than switch to higher carb to see what blunts hunger. Also, get fiber between 20-30g.

Now to where i slightly disagree. At her current stats and goals, the OP should not recomp. For someone who hasn't trained, its unlikely that they have a lot of mass. Considering newbie status, the OP can cut at 15-20% of her TDEE and follow a well structured routine (see link below). That should be optimal for improved muscle mass while she gets some fat loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I do think 1200 is probably not beneficial, especially if she us using a food scale and training. I would probably start at 1500 for 3-4 weeks to see if that addresses hunger and optimizes training.

See..... that's in mentioned you. You know quite a bit about body comp vs straight weight loss...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Good way to estimate if you don't know your LBM (lean body mass) is to take your healthy goal weight -- 100 is a nice round number within the healthy range -- and aim for 0.8 x that number (so 80), in grams for your protein amount or minimum. Protein can help people feel more satisfied/satiated with their diet sometimes.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP what you had been doing up till recently has worked and has now stopped working. You had a wider margin of error when you were heavier. This has stopped working because you have far less to lose.

The last 10 pounds for me took nearly a year. Super frustrating it was, but worth it. I had several weeks of no loss. Just weigh everything that goes in yr mouth and try and pick usda entries as best you can. The scale will move again if you persist.

This may be unpopular with others but I hate weighing food and so I decided not to this time round(I’ve decided to lose a few more pounds) Instead I don’t eat back exercise calories. That approach works for me but lots of others won’t like it at all. I don’t burn many calories excercising tho
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    At 127 pounds, you are only 4 pounds above your optimal BMI range. Weight loss at this point is very slow, easily masked by water fluctuations, and generally requires meticulous, accurate logging. Weigh ALL of your food, and give it time. You may not see the scale go down for 4-6 weeks; that's completely normal.

Well that is definitely encouraging! I'd like to be at the lower end of the BMI but still healthy - we'll see though because I don't want to be a rail. I am working on strength training, but also running, so I have to be careful about losing muscle because of the running. And the muscle weight will change the scale, I know. This has been no easy task, lol.

I don't know what you mean by "losing muscle because of the running." Running does not cause you to lose muscle.

Muscle gain while in a deficit will be minimal. The goal of strength training in a deficit is to preserve the muscle mass you have, and perhaps gain a little muscle, but you are not gaining large amounts of muscle in a deficit.

You absolutely need to be fueling your runs. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

I read this article on Runner's World that running can cause muscle loss. Something about losing gains because of so much cardio.

I am eating back as many as I can stand. My favorite thing about post-workout/ post-run is 1. endorphins 2. FOOD. :) But probably still not enough - it's usually something small but protein packed, like almonds.

How much are you running? (Rhetorical question.) It's very, very unlikely that you'll experience muscle loss from running.

You know what could potentially result in muscle loss? Eating too little protein (as you've been doing), and eating too few calories (which it's possible you've been doing, but since you're not losing weight, it's improbable).

If you fuel your running (don't eat so little you lose weight too fast), get enough protein, get overall adequate nutrition in other respects (enough fats, micronutrients, etc.), and strength train, you're very unlikely to lose any material amount of muscle, even while running (in amounts compatible with maintaining a normal life alongside it anyway ;) ).

Oh, and: I wish almonds were protein-packed, but they're not. They're fat-packed (healthy fats, which we need some of) with a little protein bonus.

An approximate quarter-cup of raw almonds has around 170 calories, 6g protein (24 calories worth) and 15g fat (135 calories worth). Consider dry-roasted soybeans, crispy chickpeas, or something like that; hardboiled eggs; cottage cheese or lowfat string cheese; Greek yogurt; tuna packets; etc. Fewer calories, equal or more (in some cases much more) protein.