Why am I always hungry?

Options
The last 2 months I have been training for my first marathon. I have never run before and this is the first time I have ever tried running. The only issue is, I am always ravenously hungry!!! I can never feel full. I wake up hungry. I adjust my calories, I adjust my macros, but I am still hungry. ALL THE TIME! Should I just, intuitively eat or should I just suck it up and hope that eventually I will stop being so ravenously hungy?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    You’re saying you adjust your calories but without knowing what your calorie goal and how you’re calculating your adjustment it’s hard to tell whether you’re eating enough to fuel your training.

If you could give us some numbers to work with we may be able to offer insight. I wouldn’t just keep going in the hope your body will magically stop calling for energy without at least fully exploring the other options.
  • Cyberbartender
    Cyberbartender Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Well... Often thirst is mistaken for hunger. So do you drink enough??
    I have the same problem, now and then. I solved it most of the time, drinking some more water.
    And feeling hungry, doesn't kill you :)
  • jenyb23
    jenyb23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You’re saying you adjust your calories but without knowing what your calorie goal and how you’re calculating your adjustment it’s hard to tell whether you’re eating enough to fuel your training.

If you could give us some numbers to work with we may be able to offer insight. I wouldn’t just keep going in the hope your body will magically stop calling for energy without at least fully exploring the other options.

You are right, I should have said the numbers. I have started with 1300 calories per day, and went up to 1500 yet I still feel like I just don't get enough. There were a couple of days when I just let myself eat when I felt hungry (not cakes and cookies but healthy options, such as protein shakes and oatmeal) and I got up to 2200.

Well... Often thirst is mistaken for hunger. So do you drink enough??
    I have the same problem, now and then. I solved it most of the time, drinking some more water.
    And feeling hungry, doesn't kill you :)

I have heard this too! So I make it a goal to drink lots of water every day, especially when I go out for runs. I drink a bottle pre-run and usually a bottle post-run. Sometimes more. My daily goal is 1-1.5 liters.
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ok so i read your post that you try to drink 1-1.5 liters of water per day. that is great for when you run but to maintain normal homostasis and kee[ metabolism up it is recommended to drink water have your body weight in ounces. this is a medically documented fact and will also stop thos hunger pangs you keep getting.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PTA4LYF wrote: »
    ok so i read your post that you try to drink 1-1.5 liters of water per day. that is great for when you run but to maintain normal homostasis and kee[ metabolism up it is recommended to drink water have your body weight in ounces. this is a medically documented fact and will also stop thos hunger pangs you keep getting.

uhhh.... damn.... where did you get your info? You don't mistake hunger for thirst..... show me the medical documentation from a REPUTABLE source please.
  • jenyb23
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If that calorie goal is the one set for you by MFP during the set up process and is based on your height, current weight and weight loss goals then I’m wondering if you realise how MFP is intended to work.

Ok, I think you must not realize how short I am, that is my fault actually. I am a short person, so while 1500 calories might seem like not much for you, it is quite a bit for me. Before I started marathon training, I was happily eating 1200 cals a day and had no issue. The problem I have now, is that even though I put in MFP that I am very active, the highest it gives me is 1500. I also have a fitbit, so I don't have to imput my activities as they are linked. The calories that carry over, are not as huge and high as you might guess.

But it sounds like maybe I should create my own calorie goal, and split up my macros as I see fit. I am just worried that I might be over eating if I do that. I want to stay healthy but I also want to make sure I am not under/over eating.
    PTA4LYF wrote: »

I am not sure you understand how much a liter of water is. 1500 mililiters is 50+ ounces. I am a tiny person. 1.5 liters is already a lot.
  • simmonscaballo
    simmonscaballo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to see if you maintain your weight at 1700-1900 calories?? Even if you are “short” that’s an awfully low calorie count! Or cycle your calories based on your training days.
  • jenyb23
    Options
    Have you tried to see if you maintain your weight at 1700-1900 calories?? Even if you are “short” that’s an awfully low calorie count! Or cycle your calories based on your training days.

That's sometime I haven't tried doing. I can try that. I will try to see if my weight maintains itself at a higher calorie count, then adjust if necessary.