Can you sleep while hungry?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I can go to sleep hungry. I very seldom eat much after lunch. I cannot sleep if, for me, it has been a very low calorie day for some reason. This is one of the reasons the 5:2 plan would never work for me.

Ditto.

I find it easier to feel a bit hungry when I’m not required to be energetic or to focus on something...aka bedtime.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have to confess that I'm one of those people who uses the strategy of going to bed to 'end' the eating for that day, so if I'm likely to exceed my calorie budget and can't be stuffed to do more exercise and it's lateish, then I'll get into my PJs, brush my teeth and read/listen to an audiobook until I fall asleep - telling myself, I'll eat the snack I'm craving tomorrow when I have a refreshed calorie budget. But I definitely sympathise if you can't fall asleep when hungry because that would have been very challenging for me during the weight loss portion of my fitness project.

Some possible strategies are low calorie jelly (if Aussie) / jello (if American :) or some raspberries/blueberries/strawberries together with some carbonated mineral water - this fills me up. The lime or lemon flavoured mineral water has almost no calories and is very good for giving you a full feeling esp if eating a small portion or just wanting to use an evening snack.

If fruit doesn't get you there, then carbonated water + a gingernut/ginger thin biscuit can get you there - some of those biscuits are relatively low in calories and yummy so good for tidying you over when hungry.

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Most of the time I can fall asleep just about anywhere and anytime. I've dozed off standing up against a wall in an airport ... in the middle of class ... on a gravel road after many, many, many hours of cycling ...

On a normal night, I'm usually out within 5 minutes of putting my head on the pillow, usually within about 2-3 minutes. In fact if I'm not asleep after about 7 or 8 minutes, I'm wondering what's wrong.

So yes, I can fall asleep when hungry.

However, that said, my last snack is usually about 11 pm and I go to bed somewhere between 12:30 and 1 am. I don't like feeling hungry when I'm trying to finish something important during the time I have the most energy late in the evening.

You have no idea how jealous I am of you! I don't think I ever "dozed off" in my life past the age of 5 without actually trying to fall asleep.

And it only takes you 5 minutes? Wow... I have to create eleborate scenarios in my head to distract myself from the fact that I am actually trying to fall asleep and it can take a while, an hour or two easily, during which I usually get progressively hungry and need to get up to have a snack and then try again...

Don't remember the last time I slept through the night without waking up at least once either...

I don't sleep through the night. My bladder makes sure I get up once or twice. :)

But I'm back asleep again within about 30 seconds after those trips. I can usually remember my head on the pillow and I'm out.

A few times in my life, I've fallen asleep at some point moments before I lie down. I remember sitting down on the edge of bed ... next thing I know hours have passed, I'm in bed, and I feel like I haven't moved in a while.

Just had my last lecture for my current unit at uni today and yep ... nodded off for a moment or two ... even though I was hungry in there.

I'm just that tired!!

Have you tried exercising in the evening and then eating a small snack right before bed? That seems to work for me.

I also take a calcium and magnesium before bed ... I've read somewhere magnesium is supposed to help a person sleep.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have to confess that I'm one of those people who uses the strategy of going to bed to 'end' the eating for that day, so if I'm likely to exceed my calorie budget and can't be stuffed to do more exercise and it's lateish, then I'll get into my PJs, brush my teeth and read/listen to an audiobook until I fall asleep - telling myself, I'll eat the snack I'm craving tomorrow when I have a refreshed calorie budget. But I definitely sympathise if you can't fall asleep when hungry because that would have been very challenging for me during the weight loss portion of my fitness project.

Some possible strategies are low calorie jelly (if Aussie) / jello (if American :) or some raspberries/blueberries/strawberries together with some carbonated mineral water - this fills me up. The lime or lemon flavoured mineral water has almost no calories and is very good for giving you a full feeling esp if eating a small portion or just wanting to use an evening snack.

If fruit doesn't get you there, then carbonated water + a gingernut/ginger thin biscuit can get you there - some of those biscuits are relatively low in calories and yummy so good for tidying you over when hungry.

Good luck!

I remember I used to make batches and barches of sf jello for this exact purpose...

The problem with these tiny snacks is that if they "work" it's usually just for 15-20 mins or so which isn't enough to make me fall asleep... Thanks for the tip anyway.
  • oat_bran
    Options
    Most of the time I can fall asleep just about anywhere and anytime. I've dozed off standing up against a wall in an airport ... in the middle of class ... on a gravel road after many, many, many hours of cycling ...

On a normal night, I'm usually out within 5 minutes of putting my head on the pillow, usually within about 2-3 minutes. In fact if I'm not asleep after about 7 or 8 minutes, I'm wondering what's wrong.

However, that said, my last snack is usually about 11 pm and I go to bed somewhere between 12:30 and 1 am. I don't like feeling hungry when I'm trying to finish something important during the time I have the most energy late in the evening.

You have no idea how jealous I am of you! I don't think I ever "dozed off" in my life past the age of 5 without actually trying to fall asleep.

And it only takes you 5 minutes? Wow... I have to create eleborate scenarios in my head to distract myself from the fact that I am actually trying to fall asleep and it can take a while, an hour or two easily, during which I usually get progressively hungry and need to get up to have a snack and then try again...

Don't remember the last time I slept through the night without waking up at least once either...

I don't sleep through the night. My bladder makes sure I get up once or twice. :)

But I'm back asleep again within about 30 seconds after those trips. I can usually remember my head on the pillow and I'm out.

A few times in my life, I've fallen asleep at some point moments before I lie down. I remember sitting down on the edge of bed ... next thing I know hours have passed, I'm in bed, and I feel like I haven't moved in a while.

Just had my last lecture for my current unit at uni today and yep ... nodded off for a moment or two ... even though I was hungry in there.

I'm just that tired!!

Have you tried exercising in the evening and then eating a small snack right before bed? That seems to work for me.

I also take a calcium and magnesium before bed ... I've read somewhere magnesium is supposed to help a person sleep.

Yeah, part of the reason why I get up at night is to pee, too. This is why drinking herbal tea and such to curb the hunger before bed is not a very good idea...

But yeah, I do all of those things, I take magnesium, exercise a lot and usually in the evening, have my dinner around 9-10pm, often followed by a snack right before bed and still often end up feeling hungry again while trying to fall asleep or when I wake up at night. I wasn't even in deficit yesterday. And woke at 4 and at 6 with almost painful hunger pangs.... But I think, there's something wrong with me, something that the doctors haven't figured out. Something hormonal most likely. Because I wasn't always like this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options

I'm just that tired!!

Yeah, part of the reason why I get up at night is to pee, too. This is why drinking herbal tea and such to curb the hunger before bed is not a very good idea...

But yeah, I do all of those things, I take magnesium, exercise a lot and usually in the evening, have my dinner around 9-10pm, often followed by a snack right before bed and still often end up feeling hungry again while trying to fall asleep or when I wake up at night. I wasn't even in deficit yesterday. And woke at 4 and at 6 with almost painful hunger pangs.... But I think, there's something wrong with me, something that the doctors haven't figured out. Something hormonal most likely. Because I wasn't always like this.

Have you been checked for ulcers or GERD?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    In all this has anyone established your current height, weight, and deficit level? Are you losing, gaining, maintaining? if losing or gaining, at what rate? Did you have a recent weight loss or long period in deficit?
    Over how much time and what was the weight change?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Nope. Which is why I save calories for a bedtime snack (Usually 200). But even if I don't eat before bed I've never been one to eat during the night. But everyone is different.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am usually a little hungry when I go to sleep.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have no issues sleeping unless there's something unresolved, but that's a mental thing.

If I'm hungry I try to eat something full fat or carbs, like ice cream or oatmeal.
  • oat_bran
    Options

Have you been checked for ulcers or GERD?

Yeah, I've been actually thinking to ask my doctor to check for this. I've had gastritis as a teenager but it was gone by the time I was 19 or so. And I haven't had any pains since, aside from an occasional ingestion. The hunger pains I'm talking about are almost painful but not quite. However the fact that they often come 1-2hours after the meals and at night does sound like an ulcer...

PAV8888 wrote: »
    In all this has anyone established your current height, weight, and deficit level? Are you losing, gaining, maintaining? if losing or gaining, at what rate? Did you have a recent weight loss or long period in deficit?
    Over how much time and what was the weight change?

Ok, so it's a bit off-topic and I've started a lot of discussion here on this issue already. But I'm 31 y/o, female, 5'2'', currently 140lbs, I' m very active, average TDEE 2000-2100 cals (I know this to be pretty exact from years of tracking my weight and intake on different spreadsheets). I am currently eating at maintenance when I can or in surplus quite often due to the excess hunger. Can't maintain even a small (200-400cals) deficit for more than a couple of days. My usual macros are around 40c/30p/30f, but I tried other percentages before. I eat very healthy, too (lots of fiber, fresh fruit and veggies and healthy fats).

Last year I was able to veeery slowly lose some weight and when from 135 to 126lbs over the course of year or so. I had these hungry days even back then but it was only 30-40% of the time each month so I was still able to have a deficit the rest of the time and undo the surplus from the hungry days. But since May I feel like this 95% now. Since then I've been eating mostly in surplus due to the hunger, which made me gain 15lbs (exactly as expected from the surplus I had). I may have a day or two (usually just a few hours though) every now and then when suddenly I have a normal amount of hunger again. Outside of it I'm pretty much always have this nagging hollow uncomfortable sensation in my stomach, which subsides a little after eating but not for long.

I was tested by my doctor for the obvious things (diabetes and thyroid hormones) which came back negative and since I'm gaining weight rather then losing and don't have any other symptoms, she started hinting I'm imagining it or that it's just stress etc. I've been suspecting it's something related to sex hormones (since the non-stop hunger came 5 months after I went off oral contraceptives together with some changes with my skin). But it's been so long already with no improvement, so I don't know what to think anymore. I don't blame my doctor for not knowing either since increased hunger is not really a symptom for that many issues... The very rare days of normal hunger levels that I get remind me what normal feels like and that I'm not imagining it...
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I bank close to 1000 cals of my 3000 cal cutting diet for before bed snacks that usually include a protein cookie, cheese, almonds, turkey, Greek yogurt, a beef stick, and a few tablespoons of peanut butter
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Ok, so it's a bit off-topic and I've started a lot of discussion here on this issue

I was trying to rule out in my mind excessive deficit or re-bound after an excessive deficit; and by the sounds of it, it is not the issue. Thank you for taking the time to explain :smiley:
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Everyone is different I guess. I definitely cannot fall asleep hungry. Even if I manage to fall asleep, a little hungry will usually turn into big hungry. Then I will get up and eat. So I save most of my calories for dinner and before bed. A high protein snack will typically keep me satisfied through the night.

I’m the same way. I sleep best on a full stomach.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have no issues at all falling asleep when I'm hungry. In fact, I'm more chill about being hungry at night because "I'll just sleep it off soon". I also don't like eating after sundown (no reason, just feels weird), so sometimes I do get hungry at night. I'm usually a good sleeper. I feel sleepy, head on the pillow, asleep within 5 minutes no matter what (unless it's too hot, that's the only thing that affects my ability to fall asleep). I don't do the "thinking in bed" thing, I just close my eyes and drift away and rarely wake up until morning. I do have a problem falling asleep if I try to go to bed before I feel sleepy, but that's not because of hunger, it's because I can't make myself sleep if I don't feel it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I actively prefer to be a bit hungry when I settle to sleep. I’ve found that I have disturbingly vivid dreams if I’m still digesting when I sleep.

I don’t like to eat for at least 4 hours before I go to bed. Just goes to show everyone works a little differently I guess.

I'm a bit like this. I don't actually prefer to sleep hungry, but I am "one of those" who eats at 6-7pm and goes to bed 4 hours later, so I'm often a little hungry when going to bed whether I'm in a deficit or not. Two things about that:
    1) Weirdly, when I go to bed a bit peckish, I'm fine working out fasted in the morning and not hungry until close to noon. If I go to bed full, I'm ravenous in the morning. When hungry at bedtime, I console myself knowing I'll feel great in the morning.
    2) When I'm in a deficit several weeks (and this would be a really small deficit, like 250cal because I'm pretty lean and usually just maintaining), I wake sooner than otherwise. So a sustained deficit does impact my sleep.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I can go to sleep on a mostly empty stomach and I actually prefer it as I stop eating for the day after my early dinner.

I'm never starving or have a growling tummy when I go to sleep however.

Also I find hunger comes in waves. So even in I get a little peckish I find it goes away after 15 minutes or so.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I can go to sleep on a mostly empty stomach and I actually prefer it as I stop eating for the day after my early dinner.

I'm never starving or have a growling tummy when I go to sleep however.

Also I find hunger comes in waves. So even in I get a little peckish I find it goes away after 15 minutes or so.

Different topic, but I'm a little bit jealous of huger that comes in waves. I have two kinds of hunger, the kind that keeps knawing gently in the background by I can ignore it, and the "black hole" kind that I absolutely can't ignore and feels like an uncontrollable drive to eat, extreme feelings of anxiety, and almost feels like physically sick, and if I try to wait it out it only gets worse and makes it so it doesn't go away even after a huge meal. Neither kind goes away, the only difference is my ability to tolerate it.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate being hungry, but going to sleep is often my solution to hunger. In my late teens, the people I lived with weren't very good at doing a balanced shop which left me to plan out all my own breakfasts and before I got the hang of it I'd end up with nothing to eat until dinner on the weekends. My solution to this was to just have an afternoon nap so I could cope until dinner.
  • oat_bran
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ok, so it's a bit off-topic and I've started a lot of discussion here on this issue

I was trying to rule out in my mind excessive deficit or re-bound after an excessive deficit; and by the sounds of it, it is not the issue. Thank you for taking the time to explain :smiley:

No worries. I realize this is the most obvious conclusion one's mind always jumps to. But yeah, excessive deficit is definitely not the root of the problem unfortunately.