Online dating

Replies

• mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    I've used them over the years when I was single here and there. I'm not a huge fan tbh. I never used bumble but not getting bombarded with messages sounds nice. It is really easy to get distracted on them too because there's a lot of options. You meet new people, get out of the house and have a decent time most of the time. I think they're great for hookup culture. I only met one long term bf online and he was out of state AND he had to try multiple times to get my attention at first and two different dating sites. I think meeting someone out in the world is a better way. I don't think I would have ever started dating my gf if I met her online. I met her at work and I had plenty of time to get used to her quirks lol. I say join a hobby or club. Imo there's lucky ones who meet their husband/wife on a dating site but most are there for the nookie. I did love answering the questions on okcupid. I logged into Tinder once to look at it and then deleted it. I don't see the point in a site that strictly goes by pictures.
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,581 Member
    We shall see I guess!
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    theresa120 wrote: »
    I signed up for Bumble about 6 months ago, and have no experience with dating apps outside of it. The app is well designed, and you’re not bombarded with a million messages from random guys because, as I understand it, only the woman can message first, which honestly has it’s pros and cons, especially for someone like me, who is naturally quite shy haha
    It’s been pretty good so far. Met a few really nice guys I felt I “clicked” with. I agree with @joeynox , honesty is key.

My friend recently suggested Hinge. Apparently, it’s more social. You can “like” certain aspects of a persons profile and initiate a conversation from there. I haven’t had the time or energy to look into it yet. Has anyone else tried it??

I've tried hinge. It's fun. But once you start signing up for multiple websites you'll see the same people on there lol. Some of the clicking and liking on hinge can be confusing.
  • isalsayourface123
    joeynox wrote: »
    There's a billion apps out there but big ones like eEharmony and match are usually the best for finding a relationship while tinder, MeetMe, and the host of others seem best for hooking up.

Be selective, don't rush into anything, if u get messages at first because it's usually either a bot (fake) or a dude wanting nudes.

I don't think girls gets bots
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Ugh I am not looking forward to all of this when I'm ready to start dating again. When I met my previous partner we met each other in a social situation... does that not happen anymore?!

I would love to say it does. But from personal experience, I have not found it to be so. I still hope though, because I've pretty much given up on dating sites and that's the only other option. Or be alone. I may just be alone for the foreseeable future

Should I just go ahead and get five cats?

Cats are great
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    Ugh I am not looking forward to all of this when I'm ready to start dating again. When I met my previous partner we met each other in a social situation... does that not happen anymore?!

I would love to say it does. But from personal experience, I have not found it to be so. I still hope though, because I've pretty much given up on dating sites and that's the only other option. Or be alone. I may just be alone for the foreseeable future

Should I just go ahead and get five cats?

Cats are great

Oh I'm already sold on them. My ex got custody of our cat. There are two where I'm living now.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    There's a billion apps out there but big ones like eEharmony and match are usually the best for finding a relationship while tinder, MeetMe, and the host of others seem best for hooking up.

Be selective, don't rush into anything, if u get messages at first because it's usually either a bot (fake) or a dude wanting nudes.

I only ever ran across one fake guy and I recognized it right away. He was using a model's pics and trying to get me to download an app. Nope! There was a guy on MFP running that scheme years ago too. In general I haven't run across the same problems that guys do on these apps.
    From what I hear men run into a lot of "professionals" and married women on some of the apps like POF. Bumble has less fakes it seems. I have also heard that Facebook is a good source to find real people. Keep in mind a real person isn't always real. Dating is a cluster *kitten* because a huge portion of people like to hide their flaws for a long time in the beginning. Be you. If you're not meant to be then there is no point in wasting your time.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I've used them and yes they can work. It really comes down to what you want, a play toy, fun time or relationship. Stick to your goals and you will find what you want but always be honest with the other person. I've made amazing friends, gone on great dates and HORRIFFIC ONES (which are just really funny to drink friends)

I think this is good advice.

To me the keys are delete/block ANY kind of red flag, even if you feel sort of mean doing it...you'll probably be better off. Be brutal in the early stages when it comes to that. Then when you find someone who seems promising, meet as soon as you can & in a low pressure public situation like coffee or lunch. Move on from there.

I haven't been on the sites since meeting my husband in 2012, so I'm not up to date. At the time, I tried Plenty of Fish (seemed to be a lot of secretly married guys, mostly) and then OK Cupid. I have no idea if OK Cupid has changed or even still exists, but I really liked it. They had hundreds of questions for you to answer and then it gave you percentages of how "compatible" you might be, but not in a hardcore serious way, either. It was pretty cool. I found way better guys (in my area) on OK Cupid than POF.

• s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I have used the dating apps. It is very easy to get a date but most guys on there are only looking for one thing and in my experience, they are usually dating many women at once, and many aren’t even really single!

I agree that this is accurate, but also ran into women dating several men at once. It can be quite amusing having my name confused with another's or past conversation continued that I wasn't involved with at all.
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    I briefly tried Tinder when I was last on the market (6 or 7 years ago I think). It wasn't for me. I never felt witty or interesting enough or messaged back fast enough. I prefer to meet people in person.

All I hear from friends (of varied genders and preferences) are complaints about the apps and dating culture surrounding them. All frustrations seem to boil down to lack of authenticity.

That said, I know three couples who are now married (OKC), engaged (Match), and seriously dating 4ish years (Tinder).

• isalsayourface123
    s131951 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I have used the dating apps. It is very easy to get a date but most guys on there are only looking for one thing and in my experience, they are usually dating many women at once, and many aren’t even really single!

I agree that this is accurate, but also ran into women dating several men at once. It can be quite amusing having my name confused with another's or past conversation continued that I wasn't involved with at all.

I told you sorry! Sheesh.
  • isalsayourface123

I only ever ran across one fake guy and I recognized it right away. He was using a model's pics and trying to get me to download an app. Nope! There was a guy on MFP running that scheme years ago too. In general I haven't run across the same problems that guys do on these apps.
    From what I hear men run into a lot of "professionals" and married women on some of the apps like POF. Bumble has less fakes it seems. I have also heard that Facebook is a good source to find real people. Keep in mind a real person isn't always real. Dating is a cluster *kitten* because a huge portion of people like to hide their flaws for a long time in the beginning. Be you. If you're not meant to be then there is no point in wasting your time.

Facebook??? I didnt know that! I'm not on FBI much but maaayyybbee...
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member

Facebook??? I didnt know that! I'm not on FBI much but maaayyybbee...

Supposedly FB has a dating part now. One person told me it is better because you know all the people are actual people, but I wonder if that gives a false sense of security to some.