Intermittent fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    tigrig wrote: »
    I do go between the 20:4 and OMAD version of fasting and focus on getting high protein intake during my feeding period. It works for me cause I'm better at controlling over eating doing it this way. Ive been dropping anywhere from a pound to two pounds a week and have been maintaining muscularity while increasing some of my lifts. Needless to say I love it

What is it with people hitting "disagree" on this post or others like it?

I personally do not do any type of IF but I don't see how I or anyone else could disagree with a person's direct experience. IF apparently works for some people. More power to them, IMHO.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi all, a friend has showed me the diet he has been following, intermittent fasting on a 16:8 ratio. Never done anything like this before as generally a bit of an evening grazer. Anyone have any pointers that would help out ?

@Craig_King_1967

It's as simple as you choose to make it.

Choose when you want your 8hr feeding window to be - eat your daily food allowance within that 8hrs. Clearly it would make sense to make that eating window when it's convenient for you and when you are typically hungriest.
    (Alternate approach would be pick your fasting window to encompass the time you would miss eating the least, I skip breakfast as that's a very optional meal for me, some might prefer to skip their evening meal.)

If your evening grazing is problematic (takes you over your calorie allowance) then maybe an evening cut-off time would help you? Of course the alternative is save calories from another part of the day so that evening grazing is just part of how you prefer to eat and no longer takes you over your allowance.

How strict you want to be outside that feeding window is up to you as regards drinks with calories - some like to be ultra strict, some don't. IMHO a few calories here or there really isn't going to make a big difference either way.

There's no need for special foods, special macro ratios, rules about number of meals or grazing/snacking within your eating period - all that is down to your choice. It's just an eating / not-eating time schedule that may make managing your food intake easier.

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    IF without cutting carbs will be hard. You will crave food all day long.

Based on?

It really depends on the type carbohydrates consumed. If you eat a donut versus an apple, chances are you will be hungrier sooner. People have turned into carbophobes but for the wrong reasons. Yes processed sugar and carbohydrates are not ideal. Instead of drinking apple juice eat an apple! Orange juice with your breakfast??? Eat the freaking orange instead!!!
  • Craig_King_1967
    Craig_King_1967 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hi all, a friend has showed me the diet he has been following, intermittent fasting on a 16:8 ratio. Never done anything like this before as generally a bit of an evening grazer. Anyone have any pointers that would help out ?

@Craig_King_1967

It's as simple as you choose to make it.

Choose when you want your 8hr feeding window to be - eat your daily food allowance within that 8hrs. Clearly it would make sense to make that eating window when it's convenient for you and when you are typically hungriest.
    (Alternate approach would be pick your fasting window to encompass the time you would miss eating the least, I skip breakfast as that's a very optional meal for me, some might prefer to skip their evening meal.)

If your evening grazing is problematic (takes you over your calorie allowance) then maybe an evening cut-off time would help you? Of course the alternative is save calories from another part of the day so that evening grazing is just part of how you prefer to eat and no longer takes you over your allowance.

How strict you want to be outside that feeding window is up to you as regards drinks with calories - some like to be ultra strict, some don't. IMHO a few calories here or there really isn't going to make a big difference either way.

There's no need for special foods, special macro ratios, rules about number of meals or grazing/snacking within your eating period - all that is down to your choice. It's just an eating / not-eating time schedule that may make managing your food intake easier.

Thank you, that explains it in just the right level of detail that helps me out a lot. Was wondering with working 12 hour shifts how I might fit the lot in but now skipping a meal makes the most sense. I will adjust my plan accordingly and give it a try out .