Replies

• SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience - thought provoking! 💭
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    Thank you all for your varied insights and points of view. For anyone who would like to take on this challenge of giving up the added sugars, it would be great to have you join me. I say - LET’S DO THIS!!

40 days?
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    “The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken!”
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What are your specific rules? Are you avoiding all added sugars, even a tiny bit in something savory, or simply sweets?

I might join just because I need motivation to start actually logging again and if I'm doing that it might push me back into logging. I'm weird in that I like stuff like this.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    I’d be happy to avoid sugars like can sugar and artificial sweeteners in things like you said - sweets, chocolates, pastries, cookies, desserts, baking. That would be a fantastic achievement, without being overly pedantic about the trace sugars in savouries. 💭
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's a reasonable approach. When I did my one month experiment before I avoided it all, just because so many people claimed it would be so hard and I didn't think it would be (and it wasn't), but my own impression is trace sugar in savory things is pretty irrelevant to any kind of habitual or control issues with sugary items.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    I’m on board! 😊
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I'll join tomorrow. I didn't have any dessert type stuff today (I was going to disqualify myself since we had a BBQ lunch at work), but I want to include logging too, and lunch was impossible to log.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    I thought that we could motivate each other, particularly on the tough days, with some reasons why. Here’s my first one (and it would be great if you’d like to add yours):

BELLY FAT! There is a statistically significant link between sugar and belly fat.
    From the analogues of evidence, here is a snapshot:

Sugar (of the added kind) is half glucose and half fructose and fructose can only be metabolized by the liver in significant amounts. When you eat a lot of added sugar, the liver gets overloaded with fructose and is forced to turn it into fat.
    There is a direct correlation between excess sugar and increased accumulation of fat in the belly and liver.

For the few nay-sayers, the evidence is clear that this does not apply to whole fruit, which has plenty of fiber that mitigates the negative effects of fructose.
    The amount of fructose you get from fruit is negligible compared to what you get from a diet high in refined sugar.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Lemurcat2 - very inspirational and I can really relate to your rationale. Perfectly stated!
  • SuperMotivated56
    Options
    4 days and feeling stronger 😊🏃🏼‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Nope. I eat relatively little added sugar, but every since I discovered how usefully much iron and potassium is in blackstrap molasses, I put a tablespoon of it in my oatmeal every day. Tasty and nutritious, but sadly it's added sugar.

In general, I don't find most added-sugar-y foods very tempting at all, let alone addictive, so I don't feel much need to control them. On the rare occasion I want a cookie, I eat a cookie.

If it helps others to give up added sugar, that seems fine.
    Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, processed meats all have sugar.

So does plain dairy food like skim milk, plain unsweetened unflavored yogurt, etc.

I would consider a challenge of not exceeding the WHO recommendation for added sugar, but I would exclude my 1 T of blackstrap molasses, as I am anemic and that helps keep me in Low Normal.