Chia Seeds

What food group are Chia Seeds?

Replies

• Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Seeds are considered protein group, about 4 g per oz. & other good things. Google chia nutrition
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    What food group are Chia Seeds?

The USDA puts nuts & seeds in the protein group, although they provide way more fat. I think most people who include chia as a nutritional strategy are looking for the healthy fat and fiber, and a little protein is the bonus.
  • anapal1
    anapal1 Posts: 8 Member
    I've never had chia seeds... are they any good?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    There are lots of different ways to break down the groups, and the USDA/food guides have done it different ways at different times.

Personally, I think of foods in the following groups:

Protein (meat, egg, dairy, and beans/lentils if being used for the protein source)
    Starch (pretty obvious, grains, potatoes, sweet potato, beans/lentils)
    Vegetables (non starchy)
    Fruit
    Nuts/Seeds
    Added fats
    Higher cal desserts and snack foods

So with this breakdown, they are in nuts/seeds, which I personally try to have at least a serving of a day, although you have to watch the calories from them given they are calorie dense (and more healthy fats than protein IMO).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    anapal1 wrote: »

By themselves there really isn't much flavor. They absorb 10x their weight in fluid so they make a great egg replacement, jelly or pudding. They are high in fiber and omegas.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member

I don't think they really taste like much, but for me it comes down to a texture issue
    cathipa wrote: »

By themselves there really isn't much flavor. They absorb 10x their weight in fluid so they make a great egg replacement, jelly or pudding. They are high in fiber and omegas.

I don't think they really taste like much, but for me it comes down to a texture issue--they become a little slimy when they absorb fluid. I can tolerate tapioca but not chia.
  • lemurcat2
    I really like chia puddings. That's pretty much my only exposure to them.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I recently experimented with Chia Seeds, in a grain free bread recipe. Basically a bunch of quinoa, chia seeds, water, a little oil, lemon and baking powder.

I’m really glad it was just as a curiousity, rather than any need for grain free on my part because whilst I was quite impressed by how it looked and it cut like a heavy rye loaf or similar but I’m afraid to say it went in the bin after I ate a half slice. The lack of flavour in the chia and the texture of them made for a very unpleasant mouth feel.

It left me wondering why anyone would choose to ingest something with no flavour when it doesn’t add anything to your diet that you can’t get elsewhere with more pleasure! A triumph on behalf of marketing! 😉
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I recently experimented with Chia Seeds, in a grain free bread recipe. Basically a bunch of quinoa, chia seeds, water, a little oil, lemon and baking powder.

I’m really glad it was just as a curiousity, rather than any need for grain free on my part because whilst I was quite impressed by how it looked and it cut like a heavy rye loaf or similar but I’m afraid to say it went in the bin after I ate a half slice. The lack of flavour in the chia and the texture of them made for a very unpleasant mouth feel.

It left me wondering why anyone would choose to ingest something with no flavour when it doesn’t add anything to your diet that you can’t get elsewhere with more pleasure! A triumph on behalf of marketing! 😉

I like making pudding with them. I find them fun to eat, like a bubble tea that you eat instead of drink. To me, it does have a subtle seed flavor which I like. I don't eat them often because they are high in calories, but I like them sometimes. The marketing got me curious, the fun made me an occasional customer. Some people don't like the texture, I don't mind it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I like the texture. Reminds me of poppy seeds. I mix them in yogurt, oatmeal, sprinkle on salads for added nutrients and not many calories.
  • lemurcat2
    edited October 2019

I like making pudding with them. I find them fun to eat, like a bubble tea that you eat instead of drink. To me, it does have a subtle seed flavor which I like. I don't eat them often because they are high in calories, but I like them sometimes. The marketing got me curious, the fun made me an occasional customer. Some people don't like the texture, I don't mind it.

This describes exactly why I like them. It wasn't about the marketing -- I happened to see a chia pudding somewhere (I think Pret) and tried it and liked it so made a few at home. I don't eat them any other way and haven't been eating sweets so haven't bothered making the pudding lately.

I do think nuts and seeds are healthy in general. I typically stick with eating the ones I like best plain, but I'm not opposed to adding some flax or hemp seed to a smoothie for a bit of fat and protein, despite the fact it adds cals and no particular taste. (I think the chia wouldn't work for me in that because of the texture.) I think they'd be good in oatmeal.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Growing up I always had chia seeds in homemade beverages you can add it to whatever you want and in baking. They don’t taste like anything. In drinks their texture is like pearl tea or bubble tea.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I use them in my green smoothies. Great source of fiber.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Pour them in my Greek yogurt. No taste, a little crunch but I enjoy it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Had some soaked in bitter lemon drink. No fancy recipe, just chia seeds and bitter lemon. If you like the drink, the seeds go really well with the bitterness.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    They are a great source of fiber, protein and omega 3s. Eat them mixed in with something to mask the taste/texture, like oatmeal., if you don’t like them on their own. Or eat ground flaxseed instead, which has many of the same benefits.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Great for smoothies! They just add a little texture and some good macros. Same for ground flax seeds. I might have to add some to my oatmeal periodically.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I use them in my mug cakes and overnite oats--just a little since they are high calorie. They soak up liquid so they're useful in things I don't like too runny.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    I put them in my smoothie every morning - they have no flavour but I add them for the nutritional benefits
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

I use them mostly in smoothies for the fiber. They are good at helping to keep me full. I soak them in a little water first, otherwise they stick to my teeth.

They have no discernible flavor.