I’m new to this and I’m not sure if this work out will help

Hey guys, I’ve been wanting to cut down to lean muscle for a while now and I’ve just updated my routine. Now I only eat about 1500 calories a day, run 5 miles and lift the chest, back, and arm areas. Is this the move?

Replies

• wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    I guess it depends on your current stats. I’m 5’8”, 136 lbs, lifting 5 days a week, run/walk 2 miles a day, on about 1500 calories. I am definitely getting leaner, but YMMV...
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    what are your current stats? How often are you doing that routine. 1500 calories does not seem like enough for running 5 miles daily. You may also find incorporating lower body strength work will actually help, not hinder your running. I have personal found after doing a quick drop in weight and regaining a bit of it, that in order to retain muscle and possibly gain I need to be at a pretty low deficit. So it really depends on how much weight you are trying to drop. If it just a bit, say 10lbs or less, 1500 may be too steep of a deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    What lifting program are you following?

I would suggest following a tried tested and true one, don't try to create your own unless you are an experienced lifter. here is a link to a list of programs you may want to look at and pick the program on your goal:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Sounds a bit hardcore especially since you also posted this in the "Gaining Weight & Body Building" forum.