Insulin sensitivity?

Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I would also note that while this study had a small number of participants, I don't think that that's a bad thing. It's part of doing research. From what I can tell, this is the first study "to assess the effect of preexercise feeding on postprandial plasma glucose kinetics after exercise." Given that, it wouldn't have made sense for the researchers to have more participants. More participants will come in further studies.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I would also note that while this study had a small number of participants, I don't think that that's a bad thing. It's part of doing research. From what I can tell, this is the first study "to assess the effect of preexercise feeding on postprandial plasma glucose kinetics after exercise." Given that, it wouldn't have made sense for the researchers to have more participants. More participants will come in further studies.
    No disagreement with anything you say. But I would be hesitant to make decisions or lifestyle changes without further studies and more definitive results.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    For a type 2 diabetic,
    It is always sketchy here on MFP when my opinion, my lifestyle/fitness suggestions, and medical advice get muddled.

My recent obesity and current overweightedness have me concerned about my health. So I am reading, thinking, and conversing here in this group.

In no way am I speaking about T2 diabetes suffers, my opinion is that me and the VAST majority of users on MFP carry extra weight, are Americans, and are middle-aged...that is a fair guess on the demographics on this app.

For me, and most of us here, thinking about lifestyle interventions and techniques to prevent T2 diabetes, and any other poor health outcome related to having extra weight, is prudent.

Of course so much depends on the individual, but us core/median demographics people here on MFP can benefit by support and raised awareness.

My metaphor is: Worry about macros and food timing. But if your house is on fire drop all that and run. My extra 40 lbs. I am carrying is my house being on fire.

When I have eliminated extra weight, I look forward to the maintenance dance of optimizing my routine for happiness and health.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    No disagreement with anything you say. But I would be hesitant to make decisions or lifestyle changes without further studies and more definitive results.

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Yet what Azdak said still applies.
    Appreciate you reading what I wrote and offering encouragement.

• bb_twins
    bb_twins Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So, the study is interesting, but...just get down to it - exercise is the single
    Most critical and efficient factor in insulin sensitivity; actively moving glucose stores around.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Here’s my n=1 experience FWIW. I exercise outside and shoot for temperatures in the 70’s. In the summer that’s around 6am and I do cardio fasted. In the winter I do cardio in the afternoon between meals. Strength training I do right before lunch year round. I honestly cannot tell a difference in how I feel fasted vs not. I don’t test my BG so can’t comment on that.

It’s always said that the best exercise is the one you will actually do. If you don’t enjoy it in the AM, do it when you will enjoy it! We’re all more likely to have success sticking to a program we like. “A 60% optimal program done 90% of the time has better results than a 90% optimal program done 60% of the time.” Love that saying. (Hope I quoted it right). Point is, picking an exercise regimen you like (and hence are more likely to do) will have a greater impact than minor considerations (fasted or not or early morning or later), especially if those minor tweaks lessen your enjoyment.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bb_twins wrote: »
    So, the study is interesting, but...just get down to it - exercise is the single
    Most critical and efficient factor in insulin sensitivity; actively moving glucose stores around.

Actually, exercise is the 2nd most critical and efficient factor. Weight/fat loss is the first.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I work out on an empty stomach. I tried both ways, but I found that when running I didn't like anything (not even water) sloshing in my stomach, when doing yoga some poses left very little space in my abdomen and left me a bit sick or breathless, and weightlifting meant I would be HUNGRY later so I may as well save my calories to quell the hunger flames. I guess I have enough reserves to exercise on an empty stomach?