Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    boldknee wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I just really amuses me about how people want to demonize sugar as the devil... I don't drink soft drinks regularly (I might have 1 or 2 a year and those more often than not will be diet drinks), I don't drink sweet tea and I rarely eat dessert - yet I was obese! Where's all that sugar that made me fat?!?!?!?

I also don't demonize sugar, but did you eat in restaurants? Because many restaurant meals that look like regular food contain the equivalent sugar of several candy bars (60-80 grams). Most of this is not from fruits and veggies but rather from sugar laden sauces and dressings. Even a whole day of my diet where I eat a generous amount of fruits and veggies doesn't top 40 g of sugar. So, the " hidden" or "added" sugar issue is not a hoax.

Of course, these meals also contain huge amounts of fat and salt and calories. It's no mystery on how to make food highly palatable - just add in lots of sugar and fat and salt. That's the main "secret" that chefs and food designers know.

How many examples can you give of meals intended to be savory that have 60-80 grams of sugar? Stay away from anything with the word honey because those are expected to have a higher sugar content.

I had Logan Roadhouse on the brain because I just met someone there for lunch and it was mentioned in another post I was reading. This national chain has NO entree food with that much sugar and to get even close you have to look at the beverages.

ETA: I just checked Famous Dave because BBQ is well known for having a lot of brown sugar in it. Once again not one single serve entree had that much sugar. Certainly more sugar than you get from other types of food but not 60-80.

ETAA: It occurs to me that breakfast food will have more sugar but I believe that is not really a shock to anyone.

The article I found online was a few years old. Most of the meals were salads (from the dressing), breakfast as you mentioned, BBQ, or Asian. It's possible that the recent requirement to list nutrition info has actually had the effect that restaurants have reduced some of the sugar in their entrees.

As I said, I didn't see the movie. I don't demonize sugar. However, I don't deny that people often don't realize that sugar is in a lot of foods that don't seem like dessert and it is possible to get a lot of added sugar without drinking much soda or eating much dessert.

Remember that the vast majority of people are incredibly ignorant about nutrition. Perhaps the real cause of obesity is our hatred of knowledge. 😁
    Lol, I scoff at people blaming Asian food for weight gain. The majority of Asians in the world don't have obesity issues eating their own food. Yes, the sauces included.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, without even trying, my ex lost 30-40 pounds during the 3 years he lived in Thailand, eating mostly Thai food.

But Asian American food is another story ;)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,954 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I just really amuses me about how people want to demonize sugar as the devil... I don't drink soft drinks regularly (I might have 1 or 2 a year and those more often than not will be diet drinks), I don't drink sweet tea and I rarely eat dessert - yet I was obese! Where's all that sugar that made me fat?!?!?!?

I also don't demonize sugar, but did you eat in restaurants? Because many restaurant meals that look like regular food contain the equivalent sugar of several candy bars (60-80 grams). Most of this is not from fruits and veggies but rather from sugar laden sauces and dressings. Even a whole day of my diet where I eat a generous amount of fruits and veggies doesn't top 40 g of sugar. So, the " hidden" or "added" sugar issue is not a hoax.

Of course, these meals also contain huge amounts of fat and salt and calories. It's no mystery on how to make food highly palatable - just add in lots of sugar and fat and salt. That's the main "secret" that chefs and food designers know.

How many examples can you give of meals intended to be savory that have 60-80 grams of sugar? Stay away from anything with the word honey because those are expected to have a higher sugar content.

I had Logan Roadhouse on the brain because I just met someone there for lunch and it was mentioned in another post I was reading. This national chain has NO entree food with that much sugar and to get even close you have to look at the beverages.

ETA: I just checked Famous Dave because BBQ is well known for having a lot of brown sugar in it. Once again not one single serve entree had that much sugar. Certainly more sugar than you get from other types of food but not 60-80.

ETAA: It occurs to me that breakfast food will have more sugar but I believe that is not really a shock to anyone.

The article I found online was a few years old. Most of the meals were salads (from the dressing), breakfast as you mentioned, BBQ, or Asian. It's possible that the recent requirement to list nutrition info has actually had the effect that restaurants have reduced some of the sugar in their entrees.

As I said, I didn't see the movie. I don't demonize sugar. However, I don't deny that people often don't realize that sugar is in a lot of foods that don't seem like dessert and it is possible to get a lot of added sugar without drinking much soda or eating much dessert.

Remember that the vast majority of people are incredibly ignorant about nutrition. Perhaps the real cause of obesity is our hatred of knowledge. 😁
    Lol, I scoff at people blaming Asian food for weight gain. The majority of Asians in the world don't have obesity issues eating their own food. Yes, the sauces included.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, without even trying, my ex lost 30-40 pounds during the 3 years he lived in Thailand, eating mostly Thai food.

But Asian American food is another story ;)

I was thinking the same thing about American Asian food. Last time I went out to dinner two choices my family picked were honey walnut prawns and orange chicken. They have to have as much calories as the cake the waiter brought me for my birthday.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I wonder if by 80 grams of sugar what they consider a meal includes a huge milkshake and a big slice of cake, in which case it's anything but hidden sugar.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Having worked in the back of the house at several mom and pop restaurants, it's not added sugars that worry me. It's the added fats. Fat improves mouth feel, increases palatablility, and caloric density. Now, I cant speak for big chains, but for us, added sugars were not really that high. Of course, we made most of our food from scratch.

Yeah, this rings more true for me.

I primarily go to local non-chain type places, and when I used to try to accurately log restaurant meals, I'd always add extra butter (or olive oil, depending on the type of restaurant) even if I didn't notice it being extra oily or buttery, since I know they do use more than I would at home. Way more likely than tons of extra cals coming from unnoticed sugar, IMO.