Finding real honey is more difficult then you think.

Options
For the past month we have been using "Pure Natural Honey" at least thats what the label said. All this on the shelf was garbage.
013_zps5273f01d.jpg
Untitled_zps036496e2.jpg

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/

The real stuff is pricey, but you can get it here.
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Billy Bee- thou hast betrayed me! If he dare show his honey-pushing, gedwolgod face to me I'll call up a bout in arms and slice him nape to chop!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This makes me miss the bee hives we used to have at our house.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    While there is certainly accuracy in the claim that most store honey is so filtered that it has no actual pollen in it, even the organic ones, most of your list is about HFCS and the claim that most honeys are primarily HFCS is just factually bogus, so most of that list is just nonsense when you're talking about honey.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    While there is certainly accuracy in the claim that most store honey is so filtered that it has no actual pollen in it, even the organic ones, most of your list is about HFCS and the claim that most honeys are primarily HFCS is just factually bogus, so most of that list is just nonsense when you're talking about honey.
    Considering they wont list ingredients, i don't trust anything. They dont say they contain HFCS but then again they dont say what it contains. What is the contents if they wont list it
    Hell its just as easy to avoid Honey all together
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Real honey tastes amazing too. I always get ours from a farmer's market that carries it with the honeycomb intact. It's delicious, but not cheap.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    LoL i guess honey is for the rich after looking up that website that sells it. I have a feeling i have never really tasted the real deal. Makes me sad.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    LoL i guess honey is for the rich after looking up that website that sells it. I have a feeling i have never really tasted the real deal. Makes me sad.

I'm usually a die-hard bargain shopper, but it's worth it for us to buy good honey. It lasts a while as I use it pretty sparingly. You should give it a try and see for yourself.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help any that the bees are dying in large numbers
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We have a local guy who sells raw honey at the farmer's market. I use raw honey to wash my face and with his unfiltered raw honey I don't need an exfoliator because there are little bits of pollen and stuff in it.
  • ragingmrs
    Options
    For wonderful fresh, unpasturized honey farmers markets never fail me. It does not matter where you get it, or what kind you get, honey is expensive. In Wisconsin I paid about $2.50-$3.00 a pound. In Los Angeles you can not get it for less that $4.50-$5.00 a pound.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Billy Bee- thou hast betrayed me! If he dare show his honey-pushing, gedwolgod face to me I'll call up a bout in arms and slice him nape to chop!
    Wow!
    Cool...I like it!

I like raw honey, too. It's the only kind I buy. Get mine at a local co-op supplied by Azure Standard. Maybe they deliver to your area, I have NO idea where you live.
    Mine cost about $25 for a gallon, yep, the real stuff, raw organic.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    We started our first 2 hives last year. It tastes wonderful.
  • desperatetolose4
    desperatetolose4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We have 40 hives here at my house and getting ready to buy 100 more for next yr. Raw honey is the best and that's what we sell. Sold over 1000 lbs of it last yr and have way more than that for this year. We can not keep it..it goes so fast and we have people calling us for it all yr long..We already have a list of people wanting it when its ready..Not sure where u live but we are in Indiana :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Raw honey is delicious. My favorite is orange blossom, love it's taste and prefer it to dark honeys, as I use it for tea a lot. Love to make sesame candy with it, too YUM
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been buying raw honey from our local farmers market. I put it in our tea every day and we have not had colds or allergies since we started.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

Have you tried agave as a sweetener? I haven't tasted it, but it's inexpensive ($7) and looks good on paper.
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/Agave_vs_Honey
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Have you tried agave as a sweetener? I haven't tasted it, but it's inexpensive ($7) and looks good on paper.
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/Agave_vs_Honey

The problem with agave is that it's essentially the same thing as HFCS except made with agave and not corn. In fact, it actually has a much higher fructose concentration than HFCS does, but the processing to get from plant to syrup is almost the same.