I've got a smidge of a complaint....

Options
123457»

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I hate that too. I have no idea how much a gram of something is, I wouldn't even know where to start. And sure I can measure my food, but who wants to measure something as small as salsa, and am I supposed to take my scale with me everywhere I go when I'm not home? Estimating works for me. Even when you weigh it's still an estimation of calories that are in the food and that you burn.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I love having pineapples with cottage cheese. I use canned pineapples. the label says 2 pineapple slices or "x" grams in parentheses. I weigh the 2 slices and it's always less than the "x" grams. I can usually get 3 slices to weigh up the "x" grams listed. I want the extra slice of pineapple!! So count me in for being in favor of weighing. Same can be said for chips. If the label says 10 chips is whatever grams but you can get 15 chips for the same weight...yeah I'll take the extra chips too!

Edited typo. Also, I do use Tbsp. and cups but I prefer to weigh as it really is more accurate.

This.
  • ketoambahh
    Options
    Weighing my food has pretty much saved me when it comes to portioning everything. Makes me think about how much I was really eating before and that a serving really isn't as small as you would think. It's a lifesaver when it comes to counting calories for my meat portions.

I had an old postal scale laying around so it was a win win for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I hate that too. I have no idea how much a gram of something is, I wouldn't even know where to start. And sure I can measure my food, but who wants to measure something as small as salsa, and am I supposed to take my scale with me everywhere I go when I'm not home? Estimating works for me. Even when you weigh it's still an estimation of calories that are in the food and that you burn.
    Do you take your measuring cups and spoons with you when you go out? I'm not sure how that applies...

Weight is way more accurate. I can look at say, a piece of chicken, and estimate it's size based on knowing what a 4 oz piece of chicken looks like. There's no way to know what a cup of chicken looks like, because depending on how it's cut (and how the cup is filled) a "cup" of chicken can be anywhere from a few ounces to a pound.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Right now estimating with cups, tablespoons and sizes is working for me, but I still have a lot to lose and that gives me a bit more leeway. I'm happy for that because I can't buy a food scale right now, eventually though, if/when I hit a plateau, I'll push a scale on the priority list but until then, I eat the best I can, exercise daily and know that I am healthier because of it.
    wut?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Do you take your measuring cups and spoons with you when you go out? I'm not sure how that applies...
    I know, right?! Besides, it's not like if you weigh everything out at home you HAVE to take your scale with you everywhere you go. I did that, and basically developed disordered eating habits. So for years I gave it up, and gained forty pounds for my troubles. I'm back to weighing at home again, but for Pete's sake, when I go out I estimate like normal people. It doesn't need to be all one way or all the other-- that's too black-and-white. No need to drive myself crazy anymore. I'll get to where I want to be eventually.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I measure everything I eat on my digital scale. With salad dressing I usually just use a tablespoon to measure.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I'm with you on this one, I convert everything to grams, so much more accurate.
    To all who want an easy way to convert ounces to grams

http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/ounces-conversion.htm

Thanks for this!