Food Scale Question

Options
Today is my first day using my food scale :)

I weigh my rice which was 4.4 oz, when I went to enter it into MFP I noticed there is no measurement for dry oz only fluid oz. Do I just use another measurement and convert it or am I missing something here?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of entries for "rice". Most were entered by other users, who may or may not have entered them carefully or correctly. Look for an alternate entry that allows for a logical measurement. You can also create your own entry if you can't find a correct one, using the nutrition info on the package, or for whole foods finding the USDA (or your own got organization if you are outside the US and would prefer that) published data.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I enter the brand name and exact type of rice i.e., Lundberg brown basmati. I've always found the nutritional information that matches the packaging.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I enter the brand name and exact type of rice i.e., Lundberg brown basmati. I've always found the nutritional information that matches the packaging.

Yea, only issue is in my case the rice was already cooked. But I will keep that in mind for next time.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    This is what I would do:

Cooked rice expands roughly 3x when cooking. So, divide your cooked weight by 3, use the entry for dry rice and try to remember to weigh it before cooking next time. 🙂

ETA: If there is a grams option available, use that over fluid ounces.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I use ounces unless it is impossible to do so. My scale has a tare button to cancel out container weights. I am comfortable with measurements I get dry or liquid.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    There is a database entry for cooked white rice. No idea about any other types of rice, but that's definitely there as I use it a lot. (I cook rice in bulk and freeze it in 100g portions)

Grams are smaller measures than ounces, so you can get more accurate measurements if you use that.

1 oz is 25-28 grams.
  • thickmagnet
    thickmagnet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make a recipe entry for my rice so that I can be fairly accurate with it.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Switch your scale to grams. Embrace the metric system =)

grams will be more accurate than oz anyway and pretty much all the reliable MFP entries have a 1g/100g entry that can be used to record exact weights. (ie 25g = 25serves of 1g or 0.25serves or 100g)

No.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Make your own entry and measure in grams for more accuracy
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I look for the accurate nutrition info and use that entry while using the food scale to measure.
    For example the entry I use for shredded cheddar says the serving size is 1/4 cup = 110 calories. I use this entry but actually “measure” the serving by weighing out 28 grams with my food scale.