I am hungry, like real painful hunger

von_valentine
von_valentine Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I drink more than enough water, eat a lot of protein, always meet those goals..
But I am hungry even after a large meal. I wait, and it doesn't pass.
I am not diabetic, was just checked.
I haven't lost any weight in weeks because I cant keep my calories low enough :(
I make it to like 1600 most days but I cant lose unless I eat 1400 or less. Which is hard.
I am able to go all morning/partial afternoon eating light, or fasting half of the time. By night time I get bored. I live in a tiny home, middle of no where. Its partially boredom, but I am truly hungry too.

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    This sounds like an appetite issue more so than 'true' hunger and I suffer from it as well. I just try to focus my mind on something else and power through.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    How much do you work out? I had a similar problem with eating too much. I increased my excerise to 6-7 days a week and it compesated my extra food intake well and I continued to lose.

How long have you been dieting? It takes a while to get accustomed to the change in caloric intake. You say you drink enough water, but how much? Make sure to eat plenty of vegetables and leafy greens as they contain low calories for the volume they have, it can really make a difference.

Good Luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    here is an easy experiment I have done. Cook up 3 lbs of plain steamed, slightly crispy broccoli. No salt, no butter, nothing.... if you eat it, then you are hungry, if not, your most likely not.....
    I've been at my goal weight/in Maintenance for many years. To stop nighttime eating I had to start eating breakfast later and going to bed soon after dinner. Two largish meals and a midday snack is the way I deal with it. No snacking. Logging every bite.

One thing that helps me is to stay away from wheat unless it's served with lots of protein and some fat. Wheat seems to trigger my hunger/appetite in a way that no other food does. I can easily overeat by several hundred calories of wheat products and still want more. You may have some trigger foods too. Start noticing what you've eaten and how it makes you feel.

The trick for me is to know how much food I actually need, then telling myself, "You're good. You've eaten the right amount of food today." If I feel a compulsion to eat, then I've likely missed some important nutrient - usually not enough protein.

Is that whole grains or flour products?

Wheat...do you eat just plain whole wheat with no other ingredients and/or without it being processed into a flour?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Are you depriving yourself of foods you love? If so, your "hunger" might just be your lack of satisfaction with your food choices.
  • maxiem7
    maxiem7 Posts: 23 Member
    Here is something a wise person told me to distinguish real hunger from head hunger. When you get that I am starving feeling offer yourself some green beans. If it is not hunger you will be saying yuck if really hungry you eat them and get a lot of fiber that will make you feel full.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I second all the suggestions to eat something that's tolerable and filling but not really what you want, if you're "starving". I've done this as the "carrot test" many times. Starving? Here, here's a big, fat carrot. Oh, don't want it? Guess I wasn't starving then.

Boredom has a whole different solution set than physical hunger.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    here is an easy experiment I have done. Cook up 3 lbs of plain steamed, slightly crispy broccoli. No salt, no butter, nothing.... if you eat it, then you are hungry, if not, your most likely not.....
    I've been at my goal weight/in Maintenance for many years. To stop nighttime eating I had to start eating breakfast later and going to bed soon after dinner. Two largish meals and a midday snack is the way I deal with it. No snacking. Logging every bite.

One thing that helps me is to stay away from wheat unless it's served with lots of protein and some fat. Wheat seems to trigger my hunger/appetite in a way that no other food does. I can easily overeat by several hundred calories of wheat products and still want more. You may have some trigger foods too. Start noticing what you've eaten and how it makes you feel.

The trick for me is to know how much food I actually need, then telling myself, "You're good. You've eaten the right amount of food today." If I feel a compulsion to eat, then I've likely missed some important nutrient - usually not enough protein.

Wheat...do you eat just plain whole wheat with no other ingredients and/or without it being processed into a flour?

Just wanted to Clarify. Many people when they say "wheat" they mean flour based products. I personally think bread is very calorie dense and offers little satiety to me. Interesting. Its just wheat? Not say, oats or barley?
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member

I do the same with baked chicken breast. If I feel like I'm starving and I eat it, I know I was.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

I can have issues with bread made from wheat flour that I do not have with bread made from sprouted wheat. Ex: brands like Ezekial or Alarado St Bakery.

I can definitely overeat regular pasta if I don't have it with a good serving of protein and veggies. As a matter of fact, am having pasta, sausage, meatballs, and broccoli for dinner tonight.