I am hungry, like real painful hunger

2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    here is an easy experiment I have done. Cook up 3 lbs of plain steamed, slightly crispy broccoli. No salt, no butter, nothing.... if you eat it, then you are hungry, if not, your most likely not.....
    I've been at my goal weight/in Maintenance for many years. To stop nighttime eating I had to start eating breakfast later and going to bed soon after dinner. Two largish meals and a midday snack is the way I deal with it. No snacking. Logging every bite.

One thing that helps me is to stay away from wheat unless it's served with lots of protein and some fat. Wheat seems to trigger my hunger/appetite in a way that no other food does. I can easily overeat by several hundred calories of wheat products and still want more. You may have some trigger foods too. Start noticing what you've eaten and how it makes you feel.

The trick for me is to know how much food I actually need, then telling myself, "You're good. You've eaten the right amount of food today." If I feel a compulsion to eat, then I've likely missed some important nutrient - usually not enough protein.

Is that whole grains or flour products?

Wheat...do you eat just plain whole wheat with no other ingredients and/or without it being processed into a flour?

Just wanted to Clarify. Many people when they say "wheat" they mean flour based products. I personally think bread is very calorie dense and offers little satiety to me. Interesting. Its just wheat? Not say, oats or barley?

Wheat. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Closing thoughts..... OP, first you should open up your diary so people here such as @cmriverside , @kimnyc72 , and @fernt21 , all very smart gals, can make an evaluation of dietary choices. Next, post your stats. Activity, height, weight, age, sex, weight history...... then... maybe more can be added to help you. My suggestions are to increase intake of higher satiety foods, protein, fiber...ect. Limit "junk", I dont need a lecture on "good" and "bad" foods, I am completely aware.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    here is an easy experiment I have done. Cook up 3 lbs of plain steamed, slightly crispy broccoli. No salt, no butter, nothing.... if you eat it, then you are hungry, if not, your most likely not.....

Along those lines, when I was a kid and wanted a snack my mom used to say "If you are not hungry enough for an apple, you're not hungry."

6b6e4f80056e57f3dd74e234291c19ca.jpg
    Except that my 15 yo is always hungry enough to eat about 2 lbs of apples
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Fiber was very key for me on hunger. Protein was needed and some fats, but for me personally having enough fiber was what really made a difference in keeping me full between meals.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    maxiem7 wrote: »
    Here is something a wise person told me to distinguish real hunger from head hunger. When you get that I am starving feeling offer yourself some green beans. If it is not hunger you will be saying yuck if really hungry you eat them and get a lot of fiber that will make you feel full.

...and that sort of ‘wise’ advice is how it took me thirty years to realise that the starving hungry pangs I was feeling were, yes, head hunger.

Because I would totally eat pounds of raw broccoli. I would eat ANYTHING. I felt hungry, of COURSE I would eat anything!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Sorry about my "worms" comment...I usually keep a boiled egg in the fridge or a slice of cheese, sometimes I have some cottage cheese with herbs or with a spoon full of jam or marmalade. But always, always I have a big cup of tea first - just to make sure I am not "thirsty". Does not happen often - usually when we have a very early dinner.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Only nerds like me will probably listen to this... but I figured what the heck..

https://youtu.be/Mp2p4TdLn_8
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    At 8:00 pm every night I make a giant salad but chop everything up and make it really sense. Mixed greens, cucumber, onions, lots of tomatoes, strawberries, kiwi, with balsamic, cottage cheese or skinny girl salad dressing. Takes me an hour to eat it. It's delicious and fills me up. And after all that chewing I don't feel like eating anything else. If I run out of salad stuff I can't be trusted not to make oatmeal with buttercream frosting. Works for me but I'm half nuts..
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Here is something a wise person told me to distinguish real hunger from head hunger. When you get that I am starving feeling offer yourself some green beans. If it is not hunger you will be saying yuck if really hungry you eat them and get a lot of fiber that will make you feel full.

I had to laugh at this. Canned green beans are great! You know how people can’t eat just one potato chip? Me and green beans. I’m probably the only person in the world who could gain weight eating only canned green beans. Lol.
  • kjp3553
    kjp3553 Posts: 6 Member
    If you’re in real physical pain, you should eat. A fruit or vegetable is a healthy, lower calorie option that will fill you up. You could also try eating pickles, drinking tea, or drinking coffee (black), all of those have essentially 0 calories but make you feel fuller. Best of luck! Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you’d like.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

I had to laugh at this. Canned green beans are great! You know how people can’t eat just one potato chip? Me and green beans. I’m probably the only person in the world who could gain weight eating only canned green beans. Lol.

Fine green beans, raw or lightly boiled, with maybe a tiny bit of roasted sesame oil. Or broccoli, raw with a little yoghurt or lightly fried with soy sauce. Could eat those things all day.