I ditched calorie counting and started Keto and started losing inches and pounds.

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If a person is struggling it makes sense to try a variety of ideas until one seems to work.

My only word of caution on ditching logging is that it has only been 2 weeks. Keto works by eliminating so many carbs that you end up in a deficit. However, calories have a bad habit of creeping up and if you eventually replace those carb calories you may need to log again.

Good luck.

All of this.

Some people don't log on keto, but many do, and it's not like "keto" is one thing and "calorie counting" is another. Calorie counting is not a way of eating at all, and you can do keto, low to moderate carb, ignore all macros, ignore all macros but protein, vegan, high carb omnivore, paleo, so on -- any way of eating can be part of a calorie counting diet.

Personally, I just cut back on added fat and starchy carbs like rice and pasta (basically I stuck to a serving or less), as that seemed to me the easiest way to cut cals without it being particularly apparent. (I don't tend to eat much bread anyway, but the same would go for that.) Then I decided not to eat outside of meal time, since mindless snacking (usually at work) was one of my main extra calorie sources, and ate my usual healthy diet with a decent amount of protein and lots of vegetables at meals.

I was never hungry at all, but I totally recommend to those who are to try different meal patterns or change around the macros (often more protein and fiber helps, but for some going very low carb seems to be the key from what I've seen on MFP).

I do think that significant diet changes tend to naturally cause deficits since it takes a while to find ways to overeat, but I think eventually most do. I've talked before about how I did a 100% plant-based way of eating one Lent and lost weight when I wasn't trying to, but now I can find ways to overeat eating that way no problem.