Cheap but tasty steak?

Options
stv1520
stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
Found a recipe I'd like to try, but it calls for 1 inch thick New York Strips. I looked at my local store and they were $20/pound! Negative on that. Anyway, it's an air fryer recipe so I wouldn't feel right doing expensive steaks in it. What are good alternatives that are way better priced and tasty to?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Flank steak or skirt steak?
  • stv1520
    Options

Sounds good to me. Do you know if they come in 1 inch thickness?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If in doubt, ask the (generally oldest butcher) at the meat counter. These guys often have a surprising amount of knowledge and seldom get to show it off to customers.

Also, remember the cut of meat is not the be-all-end-all...the QUALITY of the piece is just as (and sometimes more) important.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Completely different cut of meat. You would not want to eat a 1" flank or skirt. Not at all.

True that! I replied before noticing the thickness hence me suggesting the sirloin in my next post. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree splurging on a good steak is worth it ultimately.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    nm, I know nothing about meat. Probably shouldn't act like I do...:lol:

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Or maybe wait until it goes on sale to try the recipe. The butcher shop near us sells NY strips for 1/2 price when they get to the expiration date.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Mmm I love steak but it's so expensive :( I only buy flank steak but I only use it for steak tacos and things like that where it gets cut up. Do you have a sams club or costco membership? Probably cheaper there.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I bought some El cheapo frozen N.Y strip steak at Walmart but I haven't used them yet,the box says 5 steaks so I'm sure they're little,I'd be curious to see the recipe if you don't mind
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Chuck steak. You braise each side with a little oil you like in your cast iron skillet or big pan. Use as many steaks as you want, I normally use 3. Throw all 3 into the big pot. Add your beef broth or beef bone broth or a combo of both. Season with salt and pepper, seasonings you like. Add as many mushrooms as you want on top of the steaks and I add a combo of shallots and white onions but not sweet onions on the sides of the steaks. Set the temp on 325 or even 300 if you have the time. The slower it cooks the more fork tender. I've roasted as long as 4-5 hours and it's still good. Put the cast iron lid on top. I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven for everything these days.

It's great and it won't break the bank for one meal. Cook some rice and add your cooked chuck steak, broth, mushrooms, shallots on top. It's a wonderful dinner.

teal-crock-pot-dutch-ovens-braisers-985100755m-64_300.jpg
  • stv1520
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I bought some El cheapo frozen N.Y strip steak at Walmart but I haven't used them yet,the box says 5 steaks so I'm sure they're little,I'd be curious to see the recipe if you don't mind

https://www.myforkinglife.com/perfect-air-fryer-steak-with-garlic-herb-butter/
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »

https://www.myforkinglife.com/perfect-air-fryer-steak-with-garlic-herb-butter/

Thanks for the recipe. I don't have an air-fryer but I'm thinking chuck steaks or cheaper cuts of meat won't be as tasty in an air-fryer. Low and slow for the win with chuck steaks.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sorry, i can't help with a comparable strip steak
    rib eye? i replace with chuck eye. so freakin good
  • stv1520
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I saw that too. A different recipe said NY Strip. I'll look at Chuck though thanks.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I saw that too. A different recipe said NY Strip. I'll look at Chuck though thanks.

Chuck would be too tough for that recipe.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    A boneless rib eye is about the only option my homefolks can think of. The cheaper cuts of meat will be tough as a boot in an air fryer.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

chuck eye steaks is also different than chuck steaks
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I've made London broil in my air fryer with decent success. I think it was about 7 minutes per side on the convection broil setting. Should have seared it first, but otherwise it came out okay, if a bit pale looking without the sear.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    NY steak is available at DollarTree!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    That recipe actually calls for ribeye, not New York strips.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/new-york-strip-vs-ribeye-steak-whats-the-difference/