Cheap but tasty steak?

Options

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I bought some El cheapo frozen N.Y strip steak at Walmart but I haven't used them yet,the box says 5 steaks so I'm sure they're little,I'd be curious to see the recipe if you don't mind

https://www.myforkinglife.com/perfect-air-fryer-steak-with-garlic-herb-butter/

Thanks,I'll try this on the NY strips steak👍my absolute favorite is Rib eye( which they also had cheap) but I have to have it grilled! No way I'd try a new recipe with a ribeye so this will do
  • Itmustbu
    Itmustbu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with the chuck eye...it’s the poor mans ribeye.
  • Burgerandshakes
    Burgerandshakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    NY strip
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I bought some El cheapo frozen N.Y strip steak at Walmart but I haven't used them yet,the box says 5 steaks so I'm sure they're little,I'd be curious to see the recipe if you don't mind

Thanks for the recipe. I don't have an air-fryer but I'm thinking chuck steaks or cheaper cuts of meat won't be as tasty in an air-fryer. Low and slow for the win with chuck steaks.

Yes, chuck is great in the slow cooker or low and slow in the oven like you mentioned above. I made something very similar to that last week. My OH just loves it.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options

That link says that she's tried it with skirt steak which you'll have to adjust the cooking time. They don't come in one-inch thickness so it'll probably take around 8 minutes at 400F but keep an eye on it to make sure it's not over or undercooked.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    If you are deviating from the thickness of steak called for in the recipe I would use an instant read meat thermometer and this table. If you let your steak rest for 5 minutes before serving keep in mind that the internal temperature will continue to rise while resting.

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/kitchen/doneness.php
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    pork steaks are a great substitute for a beef steak, and much cheaper
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The fattier the meat the better. I get a thick cut (filet mignon, yum), freeze it, and plop on high in the oil less fryer for 15 to 20 min. the fat gets crispy and it's medium rare.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »

Noooooooooo
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    0fq240zikmz2.png
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Our Mexican butchers have best prices here ... When recipes call for any sirloin cuts, we opt for striploin cut ... Costs nearly $2 less per pound and we request for them to remove the bone for us.

I second the oldest gentleman butcher suggestion. That was exactly how we learnt about same piece of meat, different name because of the bone.
  • Nacho_Daddy
    Nacho_Daddy Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    :+1: for striploin -- Cuts from the front of the hip are much better, IMHO -- I've never asked to get em bone-out, but I soon will !
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Found a recipe I'd like to try, but it calls for 1 inch thick New York Strips. I looked at my local store and they were $20/pound! Negative on that. Anyway, it's an air fryer recipe so I wouldn't feel right doing expensive steaks in it. What are good alternatives that are way better priced and tasty to?

NY steak is my favorite cut of beef and I get on sale in bulk at $5-6/# depending on if it's bone,-in or not

They use to sell flank and strip steak or less until those cuts became trendy. Now they often cost more than both strip steaks and ribeye.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You can take any of the tougher cuts, marinate in Lawry's Steak & Chop marinade and end up with a delicious, tender meal.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Korean cut shortribs, marinated, are nice. Very cheap at Sams Club.xqvn1hukc9ts.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »

not the same thing at all
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    NY steak is available at DollarTree!

Yeah and, like No Name Steaks, they are already pounded into oblivion and crunched back together. On the other hand, they are great for camping and cooking on a stick over the fire.

I agree with others who said to find yourself a decent butcher and consult him/her. My local Piggly Wiggly has 2 great butchers and they gave me great advice the last time I needed steaks for Beef Wellington. I also trust them to provide safe beef for the New Years Eve traditional Cannibal Sandwiches.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Pork steaks are just pork chops.

Nothing "wrong" w/them. They're really cheap and taste fine to me when grilled but they are NOT steaks!
  • jeff97266
    jeff97266 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like these precooked slices of sirloin from Costco. The package doesn't break the bank and you can easily have and enjoy a decent portion over the course of a week. ☺f9es2soub4du.jpg
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Costco. Great meat. Get a whole tenderloin and then cut it into steaks and freeze. To save more get the one that has not been prepped. You will need to remove the outer membrane but costs less.

They also sell NY steaks.