Snow Shoveling - Exercise or Health Risk

Options
Shoveling snow can result in fatal heart attacks, back injuries and aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.

I have a hard time considering this nefarious activity to be "healthy."

What say you?

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Snow shoveling should be done with joyful abandon. You should stop part way through to make snow angels or build a snowman. ❄❄❄
    Haha good one!

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    @geraldaltman This retiree will be thinking of you when I'm making my snow angels with my bionic knees and hip.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid we took the opportunity to make some money going door to door in the neighborhood. I’d be glad to pay a teenager shovel. Don’t kids these days do that kind of stuff anymore?
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @geraldaltman This retiree will be thinking of you when I'm making my snow angels with my bionic knees and hip.

😁😊
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    When I was a kid we took the opportunity to make some money going door to door in the neighborhood. I’d be glad to pay a teenager shovel. Don’t kids these days do that kind of stuff anymore?

They were non-existent when I really needed them. I put posts up and got nothing. I would have paid well too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Snow shoveling 101.....
    Never let the snow compact and turn to partial ice. Shovel it while its still light and fluffy.

This is, sadly, not always possible.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Shoveling snow can result in fatal heart attacks, back injuries and aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.

I have a hard time considering this nefarious activity to be "healthy."

What say you?

I wouldn't personally consider it exercise, more like just a background part of life in a snowy place.

People get back injuries from shoveling snow, moving furniture, even coughing. These are almost always people who don't get any exercise. The main job of your core muscles is to protect your spine. When people have very little core strength from a sedentary lifestyle, they're at more risk of a spinal injury (hernia) when they stress their backs. The solution isn't being more sedentary, it's being active and getting exercise - but not going from 0 to 100 all at once. Seriously, I knew somebody who smoked some marijuana, coughed really hard, felt a pop in her back, and spent the next six months in severe pain (herniated disc impinging her sciatic nerve). I don't smoke, but I also don't like pain, so I do a lot of core exercises.

Heart attacks can be caused all sorts of ways, but one of them is pretty similar, suddenly causing more stress than the cardiovascular system is able to handle.

People should be fit enough to handle the tasks they're going to face in life, because that way life is easier and less painful or worrisome. It's not about being moral or whatever, it's about being good to future you.

So much to the bolded. Considering 80% of US adults don't meet the minimal requirement for movement recommended by the CDC pretty likely most are not fit for the task which, depending on the amount of snow and intensity of shoveling, could be strenuous movement.

CDC Recommendations Summary

Adults should move more and sit less throughout the day. Some physical activity is better
    than none. Adults who sit less and do any amount of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity
    gain some health benefts.

For substantial health benefts, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30
    minutes) to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and
    15 minutes) to 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic
    physical activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic
    activity. Preferably, aerobic activity should be spread throughout the week.

Additional health benefts are gained by engaging in physical activity beyond the equivalent
    of 300 minutes (5 hours) of moderate-intensity physical activity a week.

Adults should also do muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and
    that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week, as these activities provide
    additional health benefts.

https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/pdf/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf#page=55
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

we have crackheads doing it now. less kids. if i have the cash, i'll let them do it

if it's a smaller amount i don't mind. but when we get foots at a time and it's heavy...not my favorite.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    "I think we're going to need a smaller shovel." (If the snow is heavy, use a smaller shovel.)

Also, there are starting to be battery-powered snow blowers that will likely be sufficient for smaller amounts of snow. This greatly simplifies the work of owning a snow blower! Whereas I need a big gas powered unit where I live, the battery units may be sufficient for people who have less to clear or who live in areas with less snow. I am tempted to get one to supplement my gas powered unit!