Snow Shoveling - Exercise or Health Risk

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    All exercise is a risk if your fitness level is knocking up against the rocks. That includes getting on the treadmill at the doctor's office. You can have a heart attack right then and there on the dreadmill. You're closer to the operating table but fitness level rules the day no matter what you're doing.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I live in Florida... so unnecessary... is that an option.. lol

you still have to mow though. :-P
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    So it seems to be snowing. Probably won't stick (not cold enough) but I am going to blame this thread.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Considering last year at this time I was around 80 lbs heavier, snow shoveling should be a breeze and my ticker shouldn't be in so much stress this year! Now watch, I slip and fall and break my neck! Living is a risk.

Sometimes I think it would be easier with more weight to throw into it.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Considering last year at this time I was around 80 lbs heavier, snow shoveling should be a breeze and my ticker shouldn't be in so much stress this year! Now watch, I slip and fall and break my neck! Living is a risk.

Sometimes I think it would be easier with more weight to throw into it.

haha! I am not gaining back the 80 to test that theory again! besides, I have a snow blower if it gets too bad! ;)
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you have heart disease, you should probably just let someone else shovel the snow. Cold weather, in general, puts more pressure on the heart. Adding strenuous snow shoveling on top is a disaster waiting to happen. My latest edition of the Harvard Heart Letter just had a pretty convicing case for avoiding it.

If you're young and healthy - go for it!
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    So it seems to be snowing. Probably won't stick (not cold enough) but I am going to blame this thread.
    Lol

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Yeah, someone HAD to mention snow, and look what happens. The snow at my house this morning was SO heavy, it was dragging down tree branches and power lines. My power kept flickering on and off. That's the stuff they call "heart attack snow". When it does pile up, it's like shoveling concrete. And most snowblowers can't handle stuff that heavy.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    The same can be said for carrying in groceries, yet its a necessary task. Some people can't afford to pay others to shovel their snow, and unfortunately the job still needs to get done. As others have said, people need to know their limits and that is why its important to stay in shape and try to be as healthy as possible. I love shoveling snow, and do view it as exercise, but I also know I can't remove every bit of snow from the driveway in one scoop. I can just as easily hurt myself in the gym if I try to lift more than I am capable of, or if my form is poor.

Dang, I'd like for you to come over and shovel all of the snow. I'd view it as exercise craning my neck just watching you. ;) You're correct. I've been shoveling snow since I was a kid but I still have some lessons to learn.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Snow shoveling & me #2:61626wkuf572.jpg
    This is an approximation of the contour of driveway I HAD to shovel as a pre- and teen boy back in the day and why I will not go out of my way to shovel today and am so grateful for my current residence...FLAT!!! 😆
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I live in Florida... so unnecessary... is that an option.. lol

you still have to mow though. :-P

Very true! I live in southeast Texas and we have to mow, edge, and weed year-round. :disappointed:

ETA: I got a nastygram from my HOA one year about my unruly yard. It's was February.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Mowing/leave raking: Hated it! As a boy, not so bad raking clippings yards were flat not a lot of leaves in fall, then we moved...to a home located on a hill, with hilly yards; tree covered hilly yards; tree covered hilly yards strewn with all manner of sticks, leaves, rocks and dirt (areas that grass could never grow); tree covered hilly yards strewn with all manner of sticks, leaves, rocks and dirt with parents unwilling, if unable to pay for lawn care when they had young and healthy if not totally unwilling to do boys living in their house available to do it 😒
    Today, I live in and apartment complex and all that's done by contractors 😁
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don’t rake leaves I just cover them with shoveled snow