Goals to look better than the younger you

Options
84creative
84creative Posts: 128 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Just started working out again 18 weeks ago and my goal is to look better than my 23 year old self (pic below).

I’m now 35 with 2 young kids and want to stay fit to keep up with them.

Anyone else have similar goals?

[image removed by MFP Mod]

Replies

• 84creative
    Options
    You may find it's a lot easier to look good at 35 than it was to look good at 23, if by "good" you mean cut.

The goal it to match my 23 year old measurements. I’m getting close after 18 weeks of training and learning new things on the way. The routine that got me to the pic above was a typical bro-split with 3 mins rest between sets.

I’m finishing workouts in 30 minutes or under now and only taking 1 mins rest, which seems to be more than sufficient.

Now I think that to all that time o spent in the gym that wasn’t needed.

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    84creative wrote: »
    The goal it to match my 23 year old measurements. I’m getting close after 18 weeks of training and learning new things on the way. The routine that got me to the pic above was a typical bro-split with 3 mins rest between sets.

I’m finishing workouts in 30 minutes or under now and only taking 1 mins rest, which seems to be more than sufficient.

Now I think that to all that time o spent in the gym that wasn’t needed.

Hahaha, yeah. I used to *hang out* at the gym for hours on end, messing around with this and that and waiting on whoever needed to lose 2 lbs of water for weigh-ins to finish killing themselves on the treadmill.

Now I'm twice the age of most of the kids using the squat racks around me and I'm in and out in about half an hour.

I honestly don't know if I could get down to my 23-year-old measurements. I can hit that fat percentage, probably, but having shifted lifestyles from ballet and figure skating to pit bull wrangling and heavy lifting, my build (and workouts) has changed rather significantly in keeping with my lifestyle.
  • 84creative
    Options
    Luckily I’m around the same weight as my 23 year old self (12st/168lbs) but I’ve less muscle and more body fat than back then.

cjdmmaxw2z3y.jpeg
  • 84creative
    Options
    Umm... what was the question? 😂

Ha :smile:
  • 84creative
    Options
    @Ironwoman2219 I was wondering if other people have the same goal as me which is to look fitter and stronger than they did 10 years ago. Thinking of those that used to exercise and haven’t worked out in years.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was decently active a decade ago, gained a ton, and now am losing it. I will look better than I did then ( mostly)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    How are you defining "better"?
  • 84creative
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

For me it’s beating my old body measurements and lifting more weight than I could 10 years ago.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options

And for me, that’s why I add the “mostly” , I will have wrinkles and saggy baby tummy most likely. But, I will BE stronger and fitter, I will LOOK stronger and fitter. To me, that is the better, as opposed to wrinkle free pre baby thinnish weak and not a muscle to be seen.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @Ironwoman2219 I was wondering if other people have the same goal as me which is to look fitter and stronger than they did 10 years ago. Thinking of those that used to exercise and haven’t worked out in years.

Yes, that’s why I’m here. Having a plan helps. I used to weight train in high school and college, but life tends to have its own timing and ideas. It doesn’t look like it’ll be hard for you, good luck! And I was just being silly.😅🤷🏽‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Yes, that’s why I’m here. Having a plan helps. I used to weight train in high school and college, but life tends to have its own timing and ideas. It doesn’t look like it’ll be hard for you, good luck! And I was just being silly.😅🤷🏽‍♀️

I thought your initial response was hilarious :lol:

I gave you the Hug, because that used to be the Awesome reaction ;)
  • biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look awesome.
    I actually achieved my goal. 50 now and look better than ever thanks to a clean diet and weight training.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Aww, thanks for the hug. Right back at you!🤗 Honestly I was kind of shocked when I saw 👆🏽I had to quickly look around to see if anyone could see my screen.🙈😬 I’ll wear the cone of shame now, but I don’t regret it. 😁
  • JJ3UK
    JJ3UK Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’m on the same track, I have just hit 30 and on track to looking and feeling more healthy than I was when I was 20! You look great, keep up the work! 👍🏻
  • 84creative
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Aww, thanks for the hug. Right back at you!🤗 Honestly I was kind of shocked when I saw 👆🏽I had to quickly look around to see if anyone could see my screen.🙈😬 I’ll wear the cone of shame now, but I don’t regret it. 😁

I read your reply and then thought to myself, this thread subject line doesn’t make as much sense as it didn’t when I originally created it. Had me questioning what I’d put lol it had been a long day :-)
  • 84creative
    Options
    As much sense as it did.
  • 84creative
    Options
    You look awesome.
    I actually achieved my goal. 50 now and look better than ever thanks to a clean diet and weight training.

Thanks! You look fantastic.
  • 84creative
    Options
    MarcyMavin wrote: »

And for me, that’s why I add the “mostly” , I will have wrinkles and saggy baby tummy most likely. But, I will BE stronger and fitter, I will LOOK stronger and fitter. To me, that is the better, as opposed to wrinkle free pre baby thinnish weak and not a muscle to be seen.

Luckily I’m not comparing the thick head of hair and I once had or I’d be a mostly too.