good app for the gym?

I have an *Android* phone

Any recommendations for a good app to track my weight-lifting sessions at the gym?

Nothing complicated... just user friendly easy entry journal to track date, type of exercise, weight/resistance progression and reps

I saw "Gym app" as one recommendation, any users experience?
Others?

I've been doing old school with a pen and notepad. Time to modernize that.Thanks!

Replies

• Thormodo
    Thormodo Posts: 8 Member
    I use FitNotes: http://www.fitnotesapp.com/ , completely free and no ads. Until recently I also just used pen and paper.
    It's fairly "basic", but does everything you're asking in a clean interface.
    It also has a built-in rest timer (for in between sets), which I find really useful.
    The estimated 1 Rep Max graphs (and others) are nice too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Every app I've tried for weight lifting ends up just being a bigger pain than it's worth. I went back to pen and paper. I have a small notebook and I have my program for the day and all I do is update the weights lifted and maybe a couple notes at the end to remind myself if something was too easy or whatever.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I'm currently doing the beginner 5x5 program, and it's app is pretty clean and user friendly. When I start a program, I generally do a quick search to see if there's an associated app, and they keep getting nicer all the time with all the user feedback coming in.

When I'm not doing a program that has an associated app, I fall back to "Gym App" because it's familiar and it has most of my previous inputs saved.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Every app I've tried for weight lifting ends up just being a bigger pain than it's worth. I went back to pen and paper. I have a small notebook and I have my program for the day and all I do is update the weights lifted and maybe a couple notes at the end to remind myself if something was too easy or whatever.

Same here! Old school pen and paper seems to be easiest and fastest. I end up getting frustrated with apps that don't do what I want or take forever to setup or heaven forbid trying to use a spreadsheet on your phone.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    For simplicity... Fitnotes.

For more options and customization with automatic input and tracking... Jefit.
  • mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    I use jefit too. I really like it as it's easy to use - and I can write in my own exercises with reps and/or reps+weight.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    I like fitbod or Nike training
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    I like strong. I use it on an ios device, but it's available for android too. It's not amazing though.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll play around and see which app works best for me. Otherwise, if they end up being troublesome, yeah, I have my notebook and that always works (no glitches, no waiting for loading, totally customizable)!
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 498 Member
    Thormodo wrote: »
    I use FitNotes: http://www.fitnotesapp.com/ , completely free and no ads. Until recently I also just used pen and paper.
    It's fairly "basic", but does everything you're asking in a clean interface.
    It also has a built-in rest timer (for in between sets), which I find really useful.
    The estimated 1 Rep Max graphs (and others) are nice too.

I do as well and it has done everything I want it to and it is easy to use.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    BY FAR ... get Daily Strength

Lots of programs for you (including that tired 5x5 so many preach)

Paid version was like 10 er 15 $, and let's you enter your own exercises. Or you can customize the programs already in there.
    Keeps track of your lifts ( with a click I can tell you what I lifted on say August 19th and hiw long it took me).

Seriously. I HATE apps and usually wouldnt even bring.the phone in the gym, but this is great!

Tells me what the next lift is, reminds me.the weight I used last time ( but let's me.change it if I want), keeps track of rest time and reminds you to get back to.work (you can turn that off, but WHY)...

Lemme know if you want a screen shot. But theres a free version you can try out that is pretty great on its.own.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I bought a nice fitness log journal, pen and paper. I've tried many apps but although they all provided something I found it difficult to find past workouts, sets, times etc. They did a good job in the moment, but for record keeping, comparisons, and planning I find them lacking.
  • surfbug808
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    BY FAR ... get Daily Strength

Lots of programs for you (including that tired 5x5 so many preach)

Paid version was like 10 er 15 $, and let's you enter your own exercises. Or you can customize the programs already in there.
    Keeps track of your lifts ( with a click I can tell you what I lifted on say August 19th and hiw long it took me).

Seriously. I HATE apps and usually wouldnt even bring.the phone in the gym, but this is great!

Tells me what the next lift is, reminds me.the weight I used last time ( but let's me.change it if I want), keeps track of rest time and reminds you to get back to.work (you can turn that off, but WHY)...

Lemme know if you want a screen shot. But theres a free version you can try out that is pretty great on its.own.

I'm starting with the Daily Strength app for now, thanks! I like that I can quickly do a search for the exercise I'm doing and pick it and input the weights/reps/repeats, or create my own (e.g. KBs are not listed). It's a little confusing right now as I figure how to navigate... and renaming each session so that it's not the default "workout on the fly" is taking some time (any tips on that one?)... but so far so good on the first day... I'll see how it goes once I have some history in there and get faster and entering everything... learning to do it on the go interrupted my rest-times and sets today! But I'll get the hang of it... I'm just not super tech savvy yet.
  • surfbug808
    I bought a nice fitness log journal, pen and paper. I've tried many apps but although they all provided something I found it difficult to find past workouts, sets, times etc. They did a good job in the moment, but for record keeping, comparisons, and planning I find them lacking.

Prior to starting an app today, I've always logged by pen and paper. What hard copy fitness journal log did you get (brand/type)? Is it specifically for weight/rep tracking?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    it was actually a gift from my daughter called 'fit book'. Its a decent size and I just bring it with me to the gym. Room for food journal, exercise journal, weekly plans, weigh-ins, etc. Think she got it at a local chapters book store.

I am just one of those, 'I need to see it written' type people.
  • jeffjeff85
    surfbug808 wrote: »

I'm starting with the Daily Strength app for now, thanks! I like that I can quickly do a search for the exercise I'm doing and pick it and input the weights/reps/repeats, or create my own (e.g. KBs are not listed). It's a little confusing right now as I figure how to navigate... and renaming each session so that it's not the default "workout on the fly" is taking some time (any tips on that one?)... but so far so good on the first day... I'll see how it goes once I have some history in there and get faster and entering everything... learning to do it on the go interrupted my rest-times and sets today! But I'll get the hang of it... I'm just not super tech savvy yet.

Well, I'll answer questions if and where I can. I actual like this app BECAUSE of the logging.
    My workout plan currently for Mondays ...
  • jeffjeff85
    Oops, that was the week, this is Mon
  • jeffjeff85
    And this was last month - green dots are workouts completed
  • jeffjeff85
    And if I click on , say, thurs 10/10 it shows me the summary and the detail of what exercises and hiw.many pounds and reps, and how long the workout took.
    I'll stop there before I start soinding.like a salesman. And they. Eed to start.paying.me 😏

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    My husband tracks everything via google sheets. Simple, and seems to work well for him. Kinda like pen & paper, without the cumbersome pen & paper 😆