How do YOU "cheat day"?

Options
Curious how everyone does their cheat days, do you just eat what you want the whole day? I am just eating to my maintain weight calories.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call what I do cheating but when I am in a typical deficit I will have two refeed higher calorie/carb days which are maintenance or higher. I don't really eat whatever I want all day but for at least one meal I do.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the thought process behind cheat days. When I was losing, some days I ate fewer calories, some days I ate more, but my weekly calories where always within my limit. Otherwise, you're just going to wipe out any calorie deficit and not lose weight. I made room in my calorie allowance for treats and social events.
  • ObviousPanda
    ObviousPanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don’t cheat. I log everything I eat everyday and try my best to eat under my allowance of calories. Some days I go over but not by much.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty focused on my goals so I don't have cheat days, but the closest I will come to one is this Thanksgiving. I'm not going to totally go overboard, but I will bank some calories that week so I can enjoy the holidays and sample all the good food!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty focused on my goals so I don't have cheat days, but the closest I will come to one is this Thanksgiving. I'm not going to totally go overboard, but I will bank some calories that week so I can enjoy the holidays and sample all the good food!

Oh yeah. Pecan Pie, here I come!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. I work things I like into my calorie goal every day. There are occasional days I go over for holidays and such, but they are the exception. Being overly restrictive never worked for me. Not allowing myself to eat certain foods just makes me want them more. Knowing I can have them if I want makes it easier to not have them when they don't fit knowing I might just wait until tomorrow. And as far as holiday foods go I am going to eat certain foods I like that I only get a few times a year and not worry about whether they fit or not. A few times a year isn't going to ruin anything.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I just work things into my calorie goals. I know what days I have heavier workouts so I plan calorie heavier meals on those days. Like if I’m really craving Chipotle I make myself wait until my long run day so it fits into my calories.

I guess my holidays/special occasions are cheat days. They are just days where I don’t count calories but still make a conscious effort not to go overboard on anything.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I don't understand the thought process behind cheat days. When I was losing, some days I ate fewer calories, some days I ate more, but my weekly calories where always within my limit. Otherwise, you're just going to wipe out any calorie deficit and not lose weight. I made room in my calorie allowance for treats and social events.

An example of a 'cheat day' (I never call it that, I'd call it a Celebration Day) is I'm flying Singapore Airlines to see my long distance girlfriend, who I've not seen in 23 months. Singapore Airlines is well known for having lots of yummy food on their flight. I will forgo breakfast but once I'm on the plane, I'm allowing myself to eat anything offered. Is that a cheat day? Plus I won't know the energy value of most of what I am eating.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    For me, "cheat" days mostly involve skipping the supplements that make me feel sick to my stomach or ignoring my macros because I took the supplements (prescribed) that make me feel sick and just eating fast food in sufficient volume to hit a calorie target. Sometimes I just cheat and go to bed a few hundred calories short and don't get sufficient sleep because I'm reading a really good novel and sipping hot tea. I pay for all of those things eventually, but sometimes it still worth it, provided I don't do it too often.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »

An example of a 'cheat day' (I never call it that, I'd call it a Celebration Day) is I'm flying Singapore Airlines to see my long distance girlfriend, who I've not seen in 23 months. Singapore Airlines is well known for having lots of yummy food on their flight. I will forgo breakfast but once I'm on the plane, I'm allowing myself to eat anything offered. Is that a cheat day? Plus I won't know the energy value of most of what I am eating.

If it were me, I would do my best to estimate the calories in the food and log it. But that's me, and you probably have different priorities and goals than I do.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I don't cheat. It is impossible. Everything I do is part of my plan. I will occasionally eat my maintenance calories or even higher but it is not cheating. Ever.

Same. I don’t believe in cheat days, meals or snacks. I know it would derail me. I include all the foods I love in my meal plan and I log them. Period.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheating, in pretty much the same sense that as an adult I don't believe in Santa Claus. Bodies count everything, right? ;)

Some days I eat under my calorie goal (usually not by much); a lot of days I eat right at my calorie goal; occasionally I eat over my calorie goal (a few times a month, probably); a few times a year I eat way, way over my calorie goal (like 2 or three times my maintenance calories). It's just food, not sin.

I need to balance things out over time, if I want to manage my weight. Calorie counting helps; watching the scale (and my weight trending app) helps.

Now in year 4 of maintaining a healthy weight (after just less than a year losing about 50 pounds, back in 2015), it seems to be working out reasonably well. I logged meticulously during weight loss; nowadays I skip occasionally, especially if I've eaten some really difficult-to-estimate way (like a potluck or complicated buffet meal), but still log most of the time.

Different strategies can work for different people.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Wow, 93% on plan. That's a number some of us (myself included) can only dream of.