Best way to lose body fat?

Options

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food in grams. ALL of it. Every bite. No exceptions. I log gum.

Go ahead and say that everyone is the same. It is just not true.
    I'm not seeing much by way of diary entries prior to Aug. 7. Roughly 2 weeks ago. Perhaps the problem lies in your expectations?
  • raiderlifer53
    raiderlifer53 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I was 215 pounds seven months ago I entered what my goal weight was. I started eating 2000 calories a day which is what I would be allowed to eat when I got to 177 lbs. I don't like putting any exercise down on MyFitnessPal, I am down 32 lbs and find it easy to stay around 2000 calories each day. By doing it this way my loss comes from the exercise I do each day. I walk for an hour, do 1000 crunches and medicine ball each day. ( while on a mat watching tv ) . Try using 30 day phases and don't forget to vary your workouts and do as much as you can to jolt your metabolism. If you don't it will be hard to lose a lot. My waist has gone from a 40 to a 36. I still drink beer but I count everything. Protein is your friend and eliminate bread as much as you can. If you make this a lifestyle change it will be easier to adjust.. Light weight training is critical so that you are adding muscle while you are reducing fat. Muscle requires 9 calories per pound while fat only burn 4 calories per lb. Water is your friend as well. Good luck and stick with it.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    You can say I am doing something wrong all you like. I KNOW the effort being put in. And I know the lack of result.

I KNOW you're doing something wrong.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I should know better by now than to post on these boards.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can say I am doing something wrong all you like. I KNOW the effort being put in. And I know the lack of result.

She's not actually. She's doing just fine. She's only been logging for a couple of weeks and her ticker shows 2lbs down. The only thing wrong are her expectations.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

She's not actually. She's doing just fine. She's only been logging for a couple of weeks and her ticker shows 2lbs down. The only thing wrong are her expectations.

Based off the information she gave me, she is doing something wrong. But yes, you are right with what you have just said.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Do you get that what you write is very harmful to MY process? I have a MD monitoring me. All people are different or one formula would work for all.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Do you get that what you write is very harmful to MY process? I have a MD monitoring me. All people are different or one formula would work for all.

You gave bad info in this thread. Your one lb a week is awesome, and that's how this works. Keep going and no complaining!

Ok, you can complain, but stop saying you aren't succeeding. You are doing great! And obviously if its WORKING, the formula does apply to you!

Oh, one more thing. Beware the common mistakes! If you don't make any, you aren't human. I had a three week plateau once where I was logging pork loin according to a bad entry that had 20% too few calories! Another time, I was mistranslating the name for a cut of pork in Germany. Before that, it was logging cooked meat under the figures for raw.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I should know better by now than to post on these boards.

Don't give up yet, I also posted on the boards my stats & included that fact that I had no medical issues, asking to see if I had my TDEE figured right, etc. but it turned out I did. In retrospect, all the signs were there, but I strongly suggest searching out whether there may be a medical reason why this isn't working for you.

Not only did I weigh everything to the gram, but all my food was cooked at home from scratch, I worked out diligently, got a fitbit to confirm my activity level, got a HR monitor with a chest strap to FURTHER confirm my activity level. Turned out it was *not* user error.

Good luck & I hope you find the answers you need. :drinker: I listened to the general consensus on the boards that dictated calories in vs calories out, eat more to weigh less, if it fits your macros and NONE of them did anything for me but get me a whole lotta 'you're doing it wrong'. :huh:
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Based on the INFORMATION you gave me, you were doing something wrong.

After more checking into your diary (as others have stated) you've been losing the correct amount of weight per week, and not logging your caloric intake for long..
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The only thing wrong are her expectations.
    This. You'll spend years putting the weight on then expect it to be gone in a matter of weeks. Doesn't work that way
  • hookilau
    Options
    So you're either miscalculating or counting wrong.

If you ate 1500 calories everyday, you would be losing weight.

Not true. I am 5'9" 250 and eat under 1500 everyday. I workout daily, cardio and strength alternating.. and I am not losing. Some bodies are stubborn.

No, they are not. I'm sorry but if you're truly eating 1500 calories everyday at 250 lbs and work out that much - you have a medical condition.
    Nope. Just got back from the Dr. My blood work is exactly where it is supposed to be. I even did a fasting blood sugar. No health problems at all. Just stubborn.

Just saw this (this thread is moving fast :laugh: ) Best thing I can say is do a google search, not sure what your diet is like but for some folks it can be as simple as cutting back on certain macros, vs the actual calorie count.

ETA: fasting blood sugar is the last to break down. More telling is a BG taken after a high or regular carb meal at 1 hour post and 2 hour post intervals to see if the spike is high and or how long it takes to come down. This is why I say google because only you can know if you recognize your situation in other's anecdotal experiences.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm keeping track of my calories now and I eat the same food pretty much everyday... Also when I keep track of my calories I assume I'm consuming more then what it's listed and I make sure to account for it. Also for my exercise logs I assume it's less then what I'm being told and account for that also. Yesterday I only consumed 1512 calories.

Is that too much? My diet is limited because I have an I tolerance to gluten.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Not true. I am 5'9" 250 and eat under 1500 everyday. I workout daily, cardio and strength alternating.. and I am not losing. Some bodies are stubborn.

No, they are not. I'm sorry but if you're truly eating 1500 calories everyday at 250 lbs and work out that much - you have a medical condition.
    Nope. Just got back from the Dr. My blood work is exactly where it is supposed to be. I even did a fasting blood sugar. No health problems at all. Just stubborn.

Just saw this (this thread is moving fast :laugh: ) Best thing I can say is do a google search, not sure what your diet is like but for some folks it can be as simple as cutting back on certain macros, vs the actual calorie count.

No. If your tdee is very low due to a medical condition, you need to change the macros so you get your nutrition in (carbs are not an essential nutrient). But just changing your macros around is not going to have a noticeable effect on body composition, assuming you are getting enough brotein and fat.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No, he's just trying to explain to you that if you really were in caloric deficit,with no underlying medical condition and yet still were not losing any weight, you'd be denying fundamental laws of physics.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    what worked for me is lifting weights & heavier ones.. not 25reps with a 5lb dumbells, I'm talking about maxing out your muscles to the point of fatigue for less reps. Building more muscle on my body killed my body fat all on its own, with a good diet too of course. I only do cardio a couple x a week, and thats the way I like it.
  • hookilau
    Options

No. If your tdee is very low due to a medical condition, you need to change the macros so you get your nutrition in (carbs are not an essential nutrient). But just changing your macros around is not going to have a noticeable effect on body composition, assuming you are getting enough brotein and fat.

In my experience, this can be subjective. One can't prove what their TDEE is without a doubt in the absence of a DEXA scan (from what I can figure) it's just an estimate, so I won't comment on that. However, in my case, increasing fat & keeping protein the same (sometimes even less) as well as eliminating sugars & starches was what made the difference for me.

I can only relay my experience in hopes that it can help someone else who struggles & is trying to work out why.
  • pcastagner
    Options

In my experience, this can be subjective. One can't prove what their TDEE is without a doubt in the absence of a DEXA scan (from what I can figure) it's just an estimate, so I won't comment on that. However, in my case, increasing fat & keeping protein the same (sometimes even less) as well as eliminating sugars & starches was what made the difference for me.

I can only relay my experience in hopes that it can help someone else who struggles & is trying to work out why.

You can infer your tdee to a pretty high degree of precision by simply eating a set number of cals and applying the laws of physics to the results. It's slow but extremely reliable. The only problem is the number is actually in flux all the time, so y have to keep measuring. Losing too fast? Eat more. Losing too slow? Eat less. Done. And objective, not subjective, sorry. I can objectively tell you by measuring your mass if you've been eating more or less than your tdee, as long as I'm able to collect enough data. Might be slow in your book, but it's absolutely correct.

Big assumption: the laws of physics. I guess that's a leap I'm willing to make.
  • hookilau
    Options

You can infer your tdee to a pretty high degree of precision by simply eating a set number of cals and applying the laws of physics to the results. It's slow but extremely reliable. The only problem is the number is actually in flux all the time, so y have to keep measuring. Losing too fast? Eat more. Losing too slow? Eat less. Done. And objective, not subjective, sorry. I can objectively tell you by measuring your mass if you've been eating more or less than your tdee, as long as I'm able to collect enough data. Might be slow in your book, but it's absolutely correct.

Big assumption: the laws of physics. I guess that's a leap I'm willing to make.

While all that's well and good, it didn't work for me.

It's my belief that there's art as well as science involved in weight loss and can it be quite individualistic.
    Again, this has been my experience, clearly your experience has been different. I never said anything about my experience being absolute.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm trying to cut back on body fat but I honestly can't tell if it's working or not. I've been doing an hour of cardio (now an hour and a half) a day for 6 days a week. I've been told that its excessive and maybe that's my problem. I've made changes in my diet in the sense that I no longer eat at work (I work at a fast food restaurant and I now go home to eat). I also no longer consume anything other then water/milk - I used to drink 3-4 energy drinks a day due to lack of energy (but I feel like I have more energy now that I've started working out again). I'm just looking for advice as to why I'm not losing weight or at least tips on how to properly measure myself to figure out my BF%. I change up cardio routines too, I try not to do the same thing all the time.
    Best results I've had with losing the fat has been since implementing the information in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Links to tools and step by step instructions on calculating your BMR and TDEE, then taking a 12-20% cut from TDEE for a daily goal. I'm a 45 year old, 5'8" woman and I achieved great fat loss, lost inches, and finally hit goal weight while eating 1800+ calories a day. Workouts were (and still are) three days of weights (dumbbells, all I've got at the moment) for 30 minutes followed by 20 minutes of kickboxing, and three days of running 3-5 miles. Workouts are usually an hour or less per day.

You're taller, younger, heavier and a guy - you should be eating more than 1500 cals a day (and to another poster in this topic who is taller than me and eating 1500 - you could probably stand to eat a bit more as well!). And no need to go gonzo on the cardio to lose fat - as someone else mentioned, weight lifting will help reshape your body, and helps retain that lean body mass while you're losing fat. But it's mostly diet anyway - everything I've read lately, and from my own experience, a small calorie deficit is best for fat loss. Eat too little over time, especially with heaps of exercise, and you're giving it a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Check out that thread - great info there, and it has been the key for many many people here at MFP.

Eat well, drink water, exercise, get good rest, and have patience. :smile: