Best way to lose body fat?

Options

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have read the thread here and for my two cents.. Cardio burns much more calories than lifting weights. Second you need to look at what you are eating. A lot of things that are considered health have sugar in them and help you add to fat content. If you cut out the major carbs, go to a stricter veggie and chicken or fish diet you will drop. My weight and BMI have both dropped in the past month. By eating low carb I have taken over 35 lbs off in 30 days and 6% body fat. Also I have lost 7 inches around my waist. Yes I eat better and I do Cardio. I walk daily. I run 10K 4 times a week, So trust me it is about what you eat and what you do with it in your work out.

Oh boy..
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TRUTH....TOOK ME YEARS TO LEARN THIS
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a total of 1500 calories per day then you would be losing 2 to 4 pounds per week. That would be considered too fast for someone with so little fat to lose. 2000 to 2250 should be low enough to lose at a reasonable rate. Scale weight can fluctuate 5 or more pounds daily so don't be too focused on the scale. Look for a downward trend in scale weight over a two to three month period. There is only one way to lose body fat and that is to eat less calories than your body needs. Exercise is great to stay physically fit and feel better but you will still have to contol calorie intake to lose fat.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You can say I am doing something wrong all you like. I KNOW the effort being put in. And I know the lack of result.

Obviously you aren't trying hard enough....I looked at your diary and it's loaded with crap. Try eating some salads, sides of fresh veggies, totally less sodium etc

Eating Clean will not have any more effect than a diet that includes "crap" Providing you're at a deficit if doent matter one iota.

Dirty eater and proud!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hoping to learn something new. Nope.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    So you're either miscalculating or counting wrong.

If you ate 1500 calories everyday, you would be losing weight.

Not true. I am 5'9" 250 and eat under 1500 everyday. I workout daily, cardio and strength alternating.. and I am not losing. Some bodies are stubborn.

Edit: and I weigh my food to the gram. So it is not a miscalculation.
    If you're not losing with that deficit, then you may have a metabolic/hormone issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • freerangemomma02
    Options
    To the original poster: If you're eating something your body can't tolerate, it will go into self defense mode, per se, and that can greatly inhibit weight loss. Also, maybe eating too late at night could be a contributing factor? Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    To the original poster: If you're eating something your body can't tolerate, it will go into self defense mode, per se, and that can greatly inhibit weight loss. Also, maybe eating too late at night could be a contributing factor? Good luck!
    If it were something the OP's body can't tolerate, then there would be obvious signs. Also, timing of meals doesn't matter if one is at calorie deficit by the end of the day.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    thats a new one... self defense mode
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    simple question, simple answer: strength training and calorie deficit
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    If it were something the OP's body can't tolerate, then there would be obvious signs. Also, timing of meals doesn't matter if one is at calorie deficit by the end of the day.

IDEA Fitness member

As someone with a genuine food allergy, it always cracks me up to hear someone trying to explain away their excess food intake as a sign of allergy or intolerance.

I'm all like "really? Because when I eat fish, I have to get medical treatment right away. Some foods make you fart, get over it.".
  • grau62000ameze
    Options
    I see same thing happening to me.I try to b on calorie deficit even though I exercise.my thing is:not all body types is same when it comes to weightloss.
    I do minium of 16km cardio a week&try to maintain 1300-1500 cal daily yet my loss is slower than my sister who feeds on junk,,no weightgain&no exercise.this is no self defense mode
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    IMO, best way to lose body fat is to eat more saturated fat, drop carbs, keep at least a 1000 calorie deficit in addition to a regimented workouts (which you should do fasted .... unless you're long distance running)

fact of the matter, if you burn more calories than you take in, you're gonna lose body fat... or you'll be dead. If you don't feel like you're neglecting yourself, you can stick to almost any diet. Finally, don't worry so much about eating 'clean'... you'll be far healthier losing your extra body fat than if you spend your days overeating organically.

You can lose weight with a low metabolism. Long term, it's better to be low (studies show you'll live longer). You can do this by eating less and less often.

Might also add, it's important to put workouts into proper perspective. You're gonna burn calories in exercise, no matter what you choose to do. Your body will adapt to the type of work you require it. There are too many variables to blanket state that cardio is better than weight training and reverse to burn body fat. When you've lost your excess body fat, your shape will be the product of the type of training you've done (runners ribs, weight lifters guns, or blah potato)
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food in grams. ALL of it. Every bite. No exceptions. I log gum.

Go ahead and say that everyone is the same. It is just not true.

You are nothing special in terms of losing weight. If you are in a caloric deficit you will be losing fat. There is no question about it. You are lying to yourself.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    scissors
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It can be very difficult to identify the signs and generally require you to do a food elimination diet for a period of time. My wife has a gluten intolerance (not an allergy). So used to take naps each day (since she was young and now she is in her 30's) and didn't realize it was because her body can't tolerate gluten. And we only found at after discussing different options with a GI doctor and we decided to eliminate gluten for 1 week. Within 3 days, it was huge turn around. About 6 weeks later we found out she had a condition called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome which I later discovered comes with a gluten sensitivity.

Point is, you don't always know the signs for issues. In fact, no other doctor has been able to identify this.
  • JadieCakes88
    Options
    Hey guys, iv tried numerous times at weight loss, I succeed Nd then it all comes back.. Well most of it! I lost 5 stone and put 3 back on then lost 2.5 stone and put 1.12 back on! I ultimately want to loose another 3 stone and would find it very helpful if some of you guys could as me as friends for the support and just don't can see other people doing great on my news feed would really inspire me. Thanks :) Jadie x
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

As someone with a genuine food allergy, it always cracks me up to hear someone trying to explain away their excess food intake as a sign of allergy or intolerance.

I'm all like "really? Because when I eat fish, I have to get medical treatment right away. Some foods make you fart, get over it.".

That made me laugh... Thank you! hahaha