Help gaining weight

Options
Some background information:
I weigh anywhere from 115-120
I have recently just turned 20 years old
I'm pretty skinny, my friggin arms are literally noodles to the point I don't like wearing short sleeve shirts because I feel people will just look at how skinny I am, especially my arms.

I was trying to see how to gain weight online and I'm still pretty confused. I read that skinny people usually have a high metabolism which affects weight gaining. I also read that certain supplements will give me the vitamins or something that could help me gain weight more efficiently.

Where should I begin if I want to gain weight and become (slightly) fit, mostly just to get some meat in my noodley arms? Also, should I get a certain kind of supplement?

Replies

• flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Find out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). That will be your maintenance calories (calories needed to maintain your weight). Then to gain weight you need to eat more calories than that. I'd say add about 250 calories to your TDEE. Now, if you are wanting to get more muscular, then I'd suggest 1g per pound of body weight for your protein daily (of course that is assuming you would be lifting weights too). At the moment that would be about 115g of protein. Hope that helps.
  • myriaa1020
    myriaa1020 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you’re in the gym a good bit creatine and water help me bulk along (water is must if you take creative as it will absorb it) with optimum nutrition mass gainer I like the vanilla one !

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You need to take some steps to gain weight:
    1. Calculate your TDEE as a starting point. Just Google "tdee calculator".
    2. Once you have your TDEE add about 10-15% to it and this is where you want to start with your calorie intake in order to gain weight.
    3. Start tracking your calories, including weighing everything you eat and make sure it matches your calorie goal.
    4. Get a minimum of 0.8-1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.
    5. Find a good progressive lifting program you like and will consistently perform. There's a list of them in this thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    6. Track you weight using an app that also smooths it. Something like Happy Scale (Apple) or Libra (Android).
    7. After 2 or 3 weeks of this if you don't find your weight increasing add another 10-15% to your calorie intake until your weight starts increasing. If you have trouble adding the calories you need take a look at this thread for calorie dense foods you can add https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

You don't need any supplements if you're eating a balanced diet. At best, supplements have only a minimal impact on gaining healthy weight. At worst, you're literally pissing money down the drain with them.