Soup recipes?

2»

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

Thanks, I've bookmarked this version to try after the holidays.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

Thanks, I've bookmarked this version to try after the holidays.

I normally make split pea soup
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-split-pea-soup-1129011

But I bought some whole dried peas for growing sprouts that didn't germinate well (I think I needed marrow fat peas instead of regular peas) so had a bunch of the whole peas to use up.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Must be a pea soup kind of day! I just made a big pot; one of my best efforts. Fairly standard ingredients but added a pinch of curry with the other herbs/spices while sautéing the veggies, and added an acorn squash and one potato, then blended about 1/3 of the soup. Love the the hint of sweetness that the squash added. Delish!
  • mjbnj0001
    lrsirius wrote: »
    Must be a pea soup kind of day! I just made a big pot; one of my best efforts. Fairly standard ingredients but added a pinch of curry with the other herbs/spices while sautéing the veggies, and added an acorn squash and one potato, then blended about 1/3 of the soup. Love the the hint of sweetness that the squash added. Delish!

was thinking of something like that for after the holidays - using yellow peas instead of green for the curry squash approach. we're going to be busy for the next two weeks, so will only be doing a few more simple preps.
  • veggieburger1
    veggieburger1 Posts: 12 Member
    I like indian lentil soups like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzDIQmpcWi0&t=1s

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    OK fellow split pea lovers! Split pea is my favorite soup, made a batch in the Instant pot tonight. I was going to post mine but you all beat me to it! Love the idea of Dutch split pea with leeks and celeriac and of split pea with acorn squash.

I'll just say how I make it different than the standard thyme, bay leaf, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, ham bone. I didn't have 2lbs of peas so I added .75lb of red lentils. A plant-based version I've made uses jalapenos, I add 6 jalapeno peppers whenever I make it now. I'll add barley or potatoes to mine but was out of both. I use fresh thyme, basil (plant is almost dead so half fresh/dry), and oregano and 2 bay leaves. A little smoked paprika and pepper. I used Better Than Bouillon vegetable but it's pretty salty so leave out salt if you use.
  • acpgee
    So I had to make "leftover vegetable management soup" tonight.

We had some leftover roast squash puree I didn't particularly care for (too sweet), also some leftover roast celeriac which I wasn't crazy about (too stodgy). Fried off an onion with a celery stock for freshness. There was a sad looking half beef tomato lurking at the bottom of the vegetable drawer that got tossed in. Added water and a stock cube and the leftover veg and a handful of split lentils.

Boiled, immersion blended and then started adding condiments until I liked the taste. Thai red curry paste made it into something I quite like. I think when we have this for lunch tomorrow I will scatter fresh mint on top. A trick they do in Spain for brightening up stodgy soups and stews.
  • Pupnuzz
    Pupnuzz Posts: 203 Member
    I normally buy a chiken noodle packet soup from the store, about 60cal each and then add in extra stuff like chicken thigh or breast cut up and then some green chilies. If you like you can also add a bit of sweet soy, but it will bump your calories and sodium up a lot.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,881 Member
    I made roasted butternut squash soup today ....very yummy
  • acpgee
    I heated up some of the "leftover vegetable management soup" from the freezer today and scattered with mint leaves. The base was roast squash which I didn't particularly like because I found it too sweet. Have since added red curry paste, lemon and coconut milk leftover from making a green curry this weekend and a little fish sauce to give the sweetness a Thai twist. It has improved, and good thing that the hubby likes it.

We still have some leftover so will puree the leftover roast parsnips from Christmas dinner into it, maybe add some leftover gravy from the roast goose, boil furiously for 10 minutes to disinfect and freeze again for when we need an easy starter.

It's turning out to be the never ending vegetable puree soup.
    lo4ei3owxcih.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    Also posted over in "What Was the Last Meal You Cooked?" thread.

Holiday Season "cleansing" - Cabbage/Vegetable soup.

Taking a step back from the brink after a couple weeks of very rich holiday eating with this soup.

There's probably about 500 recipes on YouTube or elsewhere for this type of soup. My approach tonight: red cabbage, carrots, celery, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned no-salt diced tomatoes and flavorings (very moderate salt, black pepper, a few shakes of cayenne, Italian herbs mixture), chicken stock (no salt).

Very good, flavor-wise, but family consensus is that I'll buzz the soup to make a chunky, but thick final result for leftovers with an immersion blender. As it is, right now, can't beat the color. Wonder what it'll look like after blending? There's enough here for the family for 2-3 days.

Pictures:
    1. as prepared.
    2. done cooking (but not blended).

cphxl2i4ogki.jpg

ewian5fb64sh.jpg

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    @acpgee Your meals always make me hungry! I want you to come visit and teach me how to cook. I'll have to try using mint in vegetable soup. BTW, you once posted knife/veggie hacks and I learned how to properly cut onion from one where you keep the ends on the onion. Thank you for all you share with us! Up until this year I lived on oatmeal and Lean Pockets so reading your tips and recipes is helpful!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited December 2019
    My supereasy butternut soup:

heat a little olive oil (or any kind of oil or butter) in a soup pan.

Add a chopped onion, the chopped and seeded (not peeled !) butternut, and two or three sweet potatoes and one medium apple, add water and a stock cube to taste + salt and pepper.

Let it simmer for 40 minutes and blitz. Then add the spices as you like them. I go for some coconut milk, chili flakes and fresh cilantro.

The key to make this soup easy is not to peel the butternut and let it boil for an extra 10 minutes so the peel will also be cooked. Kept in the refrigerator, it will keep for a least a week.