Soup recipes?

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I've been looking for some healthy hearty soups. I do have a minestrone recipe that I use as a base and can modify so much. But if any of you have a special yummy soup you'd recommend, I'd love to see it! I'm not much for red meat but do like chicken, fish, and beans.
Thanks!!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-calorie-soup

There’s a few...specific recommendation for the Moroccan Chickpea Soup from that link. And the Chipotle Black Bean with Lime Pickled Onions.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    I been taking cans of low calorie soups Store brands adding veggies,lean chicken 4oz 110cal ones,(Parmesan or shredded cheese little if it’s chili),beans (Blk beans to kidney).

Turns the can from 2servings to 4 real fast can lower calories y bulk it up this way. I’m old got a 2yr old my from scratch days are on hold for now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    No problem with doing this to add flavor etc, but adding water then adding calories (chicken, cheese, beans) is unlikely to lower the total calories. If add back mainly veggies, then yes you can probably lower the total calories.
  • Mommin75Hard
    Mommin75Hard Posts: 18 Member
    I don’t do weight watchers but I tried this soup from a friend who does and I loved it. It feels a little indulgent and sometimes I add a dollop of sour cream after heating my portion up at work to make it creamy. I usually adjust the seasonings to cut back on sodium and add more water for extra broth.

https://www.ww-recipes.net/2012/01/weight-watchers-taco-soup-recipe-4-ww-points-6-ww-points-plus/
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I recently made a bean soup similar to Grandpa RV's above. The differences were that I used multiple types of beans instead of just Great Northern, a ham hock, and homemade chicken and turkey stock instead of bouillon. I also added dried thyme and Tony Chachere's.

I find that literally anything I make tastes fantastic when using homemade stock. I rarely buy individual cuts of poultry- I get the whole thing, cook/de-bone it, and then slow cook the bones for stock. Sometimes I then turn around and make chicken chili or gumbo with the remainder of the meat. You can do veggie stock with random pieces of onion tops, celery bottoms, etc. Seafood stock is super easy with boiling shrimp/crab shells. Depending how you like to shop/cook/eat, you can turn one meal into a series of different meals and never waste anything.

If you want my chicken sausage gumbo recipe, PM me. It's quite a process and would need to be emailed. (I am 100% Cajun. It's a family recipe that I'm happy to share.)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    What I love about this recipe for minestrone is the "use what's on hand" approach. Two lists of vegetables, hard and soft, and you pick some from each list. By the way, if you're looking for a newsletter with consistently good food discussion and recipes not necessarily revolving around dieting, Mark Bittman's is hard to beat
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Thanks everybody! Pinned the Taco Soup recipe and am making Minestrone Soup at the moment. Will look into Mark Bittman's newsletter; thanks!
    The chicken sausage gumbo sounds good but I'm not a great cook and anything that's described as quite a process intimidates me. :(
    I'll be returning here to check out the other replies and ideas.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I’m making French onion this weekend. I carmelize the onions in the crockpot overnight. Really easy to do this way, then make the soup right in the crockpot I caramelized the onions in.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    My new favorite is loaded potato and cauliflower soup. It is very tasty and very filling.

4 slices of bacon (or turkey bacon)
    1 onion, chopped
    4 Potatoes, peeled and chopped
    I head of cauliflower
    5 cups chicken broth
    Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese for topping

1. Cook bacon in a soup pot. Remove the bacon and set aside. Leave half the grease in the pot.
    2. Toss in the onion and cook until translucent.
    3. Add the potatoes, cauliflower, and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Boil until everything is tender.
    4. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender (or pour into a regular blender), blend until smooth.
    5. Cut up the bacon into small pieces and stir into the soup.
    6. top with cheese and sour cream as desired.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    This one is pretty good for a crock pot soup. I plan to tweak this recipe and turn it into chicken and gnocci soup tonight (by omitting tomatoes, adding celery and carrots, and switching out the tortellini for gnocci)

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/slow-cooker-tortellini-spinach-soup/
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    My new favorite... pumpkin (or other winter squash) soup.
    Saute a diced onion in a medium saucepan until caramelized, adding garlic and ginger paste partway through. Meanwhile, peel, gut, and chop a small cooking pumpkin (maybe 6" diameter), and add to the onion. Pour in enough vegetable broth to cover the pumpkin, and leave simmering until the pumpkin is soft. While it's simmering, you can start adding seasonings... I put in some salt, a hefty dose of curry powder, and some pepper.
    When the pumpkin is soft, blend the mixture, adding more broth or water if necessary to get a good soup texture. An immersion blender works fine. Then, taste the soup, and add more curry powder or some garlic powder if needed... Also mix in soy sauce to taste, and some hot sauce - I used sriracha. Use a LIGHT hand with the sriracha... the soup is supposed to be flavorful but not too spicy, so it's easy to go overboard.

I can't give exact amounts for seasonings, because I made this recipe up myself and I don't tend to measure spices precisely when I'm winging it. But it came out very tasty, and made about three generous servings. It's a nice, easy, tasty soup that fills the "creamy soup" need for me, but without any dairy. It's vegan, too, and gluten free depending what soy sauce you use... so good for winter potlucks and such if you made more, since people on many different diets can eat it.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited November 2019
    Leek and fish Soup
    Sautee shredded leeks in a drizzle of olive oil, covered in the soup pot. Add cut up pieces of salmon, trout, whiting, cod and yellow fin tuna. One pound total. Corn as available, cut off cob. Add 64 oz chicken or vege broth Swanson box. Garlic. One tbsp Better than Boullion Lobster Base. Simmer 45 minutes, add a dozen frozen shrimp, raw, deveined tail on. Simmer 5 more minutes. About 1200 calories for 8 twelve oz servings.
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2019
    Orzo Spinach Soup

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small white onion, peeled and diced
    1 cup diced carrots
    1 cup diced celery
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) DeLallo whole wheat orzo pasta, or other whole wheat pasta
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
    4 cups loosely-packed spinach
    salt and black pepper
    optional toppings: freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes

Instructions
    • Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
    • Add onion and saute for 4 minutes, until soft. Add carrots, celery and garlic and saute for an additional 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, orzo (pasta), thyme, oregano, rosemary and stir to combine.
    • Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente.
    • Stir in the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is bright green and wilted. Taste, and season with salt and black pepper as needed. (Also feel free to add more of the thyme, oregano and rosemary, if you’d like.)
    • Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    I like avgolemono soup and it is a nice way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers.
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-greek-egg-and-lemon-soup-avgolemono-242659
  • acpgee
    Arg. That recipe is too complicated for what is a simple soup. For avgolemono do this:

You need chicken or turkey broth (boil a carcass with a halved onion or used store bought or even some stock cubes)
    Boil a handful of rice or orzo in the broth until soft and squeeze in lemon juice to taste.
    Turn down the heat of the soup to low.
    Beat a couple of eggs, and stir in some hot broth into the eggs before stirring egg mixture back into the soup and stir.
    It's ready when then soup thickens slightly. You can add chopped parsley or dill and chopped leftover chicken or turkey.

Make this a complete meal by serving with a salad.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    I have several soup recipes, but these 2 are my favorites: 1. Red Kidney Beans Soup (Vegan, Instant Pot) and 2. Lemon, Rice Chicken Soup (with eggs, stovetop)
    I have also a cream of asparagus soup, leek/potato soup, green peas soup (just look under soups in one of the recipes above). Picture is of the red kidney beans soup.
    9ucqkhpzqwkr.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited December 2019
    Just made this last night: slowcooker pea soup. it does have ham in it, but that's an optional add. simple as anything:

1 lb of dried split peas (picked and rinsed, but not soaked)
    diced onion (along with a sweet onion, I tossed in some bermuda which was on hand)
    diced carrots (to your preference - this was 5 med-large)
    diced green pepper (or not)
    diced celery to taste (this was 5 large stalks)
    chicken broth (I used a combo of 1.5qt size 365 organic low sodium and later, about 1 pint of kitchen basics no-salt)
    flavorings to taste (I used black pepper, bay leaf, parsley and some thyme). I reduce salt generally, but the ham made a big contribution so i didn't further salt the soup.

It sounds slapdash, maybe it was, rather than a rigorously spec'ed recipe. Like many soups, this can be a fridge-emptying exercise. 7 hours on high. Monitor for liquid absorption and add more as necessary (which is why I wound up adding the Kitchen Basics halfway through). I might have added a bit more broth towards the end than needed, but it worked out OK. Because of the diced ham (about 3/4 lb of a ham steak with bone), I chose not to buzz the finished result with an immersion blender, and the family liked the chunky-veg-and-thin-broth approach for dinner. A little different than the usual smooth pea soup. I did, however, used my ladle to mash up the peas a bit before serving.

MFP recipe builder assigned this per portion as 213 cal, 4g fat, 16g protein, 29g carb (10g fiber) but 501mg sodium.

Photos:
    1. prepared and commencing cook cycle.
    2. ready to serve.

tc1jxxeo0q6s.jpg

v9hrozg5zgfb.jpg
  • acpgee
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Pinterest is your friend here.