Rewarding yourself

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Clothes, occasionally I buy some new piece of fitness equipment or gadget. Even a new water bottle or tank top can make me feel rewarded!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    @ReenieHJ - It’s totally reasonable to work in the occasional treat. I use my long runs days (and all the extra calories I have) to plan a date night with my husband and we go out to eat.

You can also pair a special treat with a specific event (like a haircut) so that you still have it occasionally but not too often.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    To me, "rewarding" myself makes no sense because I am not doing a short term plan. I changed my approach to food and exercise. This is just how I live my life, not something I need to reward myself for doing. I saw no reason to create rewards, beyond the satisfaction of meeting my goals, when I was losing weight; I still don't see a reason to do that in maintenance.

Having said that, because this is my everyday life, I also eat what I want in quantities that fit my calorie goals, so food is not a reward. It is fuel and a source of enjoyment. I budget calories for chocolate every day. I bank calories during the week for a restaurant meal or two on the weekends. When I work out, I burn more calories and I therefore need to eat--and enjoy--more food. None of those things are rewards; they're just how I choose to eat.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited November 2019
    Adulting is taking care of oneself, including one's health. Rewards should not be required for an adult acting like one.

If you want to include a reasonable amount of "fun foods" in your diet fine. Do it on a regular basis, not some blowout when you reach a certain weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me it's about hitting my goals. Being able to accomplish what I set out to do is very rewarding itself. Sometimes I do have short term rewards to keep me motivated along the way.. looking good for an event, saving up calories for a special meal or food, looking good in clothes, a bikini, taking progress photos, writing a blog post etc.
    Also when hitting my final weight loss goal my big reward is being able to eat at maintenance then maybe run a bulk cycle and eat all the things which is always fun. Works for me at least!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Seeing progress is a reward in itself. You will also need clothes as your body changes. I like gym/workout toys: leggings, tanks, gloves, shoes, bar pad, new music, etc.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Yeah, I don't think I've ever felt the need to give myself a reward as I don't feel like I'm doing anything special or out of the ordinary.

It's kinda hard to put in words. I guess from my perspective my weight loss hasn't come from doing something extraordinary or unusual to eat an appropriate calorie intake, but rather my new ordinary, what's now normal is eating an appropriate calorie intake. And normal and ordinary just don't seem worthy of reward.

I also guess a small part of my doesn't quite grasp the concept of a reward for doing something that should be done (or not doing something that shouldn't) if that makes sense.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    How do you reward yourself as you make your progress? Or do you? Is it with food, clothes, activities? Let's face it; we deserve a reward!! This is awfully daMn hard work!
    I haven't really done a lot of that but tend to think of using indulgent food as a reward but am so afraid of it backfiring. If I treat myself to a cookie or ice cream, I can just see myself not stopping. :( I have a friend that allows herself 1 piece of peanut butter. I'm thinking how do you do that?? :(

Hypothetical question: Is fixing a bit of a mistake a reason for a reward?

Anyway, I reward myself with the things I can do and wear. :) When I'm lighter, I can cycle up hills and run more efficiently and can wear more of the clothes in my closet.

• cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    I have lost almost 50 pounds and am about halfway towards what I *think* my goal is. I incorporate all foods into my plan with moderation, so I don't feel the need to reward myself with food. One of the ways I do reward myself is by buying smaller sized clothing.

My next *reward* is not goal related, but I am scoping out a decent treadmill/elliptical so that I can drop my gym membership and save money in the long run, because I already have a bunch of other home gym equipment.

I do think that once I lose another 20lb(70total) and reach a low since my junior year in high school years ago, I am going to treat myself to something nice-maybe get my nails done or get a nice outfit... something!

I do have to agree with others that just progressing in this journey is enough reward itself!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    When I reached the half way point of my journey a couple weeks ago, I treated myself to a weight bench and a car full of dumbbells. But there have been plenty of jeans and t-shirts in smaller sizes all along the way. I do believe in rewards that positively reinforce success and encourage more of it.

Yeah, getting those dumbbells all the way from the store into my basement was not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    My reward is reaching my weight loss goal. Along the way, I have been replacing my fat clothes with upscale brand smaller clothes, getting upscale workout gear, and then splurged on a gym membership. Every time I look in the mirror, I see my reward.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I only really used rewards when I was in the process of losing. I used them more to mark milestones though, like every 10-20 lb lost and things like that. The biggest one for me was getting under 200 lb for the first time in about 20 years and I bought myself all new "better" makeup and a counter top organizer. I got it just before reaching the milestone, and didn't use it until I achieved that goal. I would absolutely recommend doing something like that to celebrate a big achievement (whether weight loss, fitness, or hitting other personal goals).

In maintenance now for years I don't do it the same way at all. I do find at times though when I am in a rut and not feeling very motivated to exercise, if I treat myself to new fitness-related clothes, shoes, etc, it really peps me back up. Last week was my birthday and I got some gift cards that I used for a cute warm Nike top, Puma sneakers, and new athletic socks. I feel excited to wear/use those things and to me that's a fun way to keep myself motivated.
  • tohyidrive
    tohyidrive Posts: 14 Member
    Definitely not food... tried few times before and they always spiral out of control! And the feeling after is awful.
    Fitting better in my clothes and the scale are my rewards now. Sense of achievement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    How do you reward yourself as you make your progress? Or do you? Is it with food, clothes, activities? Let's face it; we deserve a reward!! This is awfully daMn hard work!
    I haven't really done a lot of that but tend to think of using indulgent food as a reward but am so afraid of it backfiring. If I treat myself to a cookie or ice cream, I can just see myself not stopping. :( I have a friend that allows herself 1 piece of peanut butter. I'm thinking how do you do that?? :(

I never really rewarded myself. My reward was improved health markers and improved fitness. It was amazing to start being able to do things that I thought were all in my past and to get off or reduce medication use.

As food goes, I have ice cream or some other kind of desert most nights...but I'm one who has no issues just having a cookie and calling it good.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Smoked salmon, white wine, dark chocolate. I know food rewards are bad but that’s some good stuff.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Decided that at my first milestone I would reward myself with a better fitness tracker to keep building on the journey to healthier living (and eating). It should arrive Thursday. After that, it will most likely be just buying some new jeans. I am using my old favorite jeans as my measuring stick.