Calorie Counting as a chef?

Options
I work as cook full time and I'm currently trying to lose weight. However, part of my job requires me to taste everything I make in order to make sure it's good, etc. How would I add this in? Its kinda like a lot of small tasters throughout the day but it obviously builds up. Any advice?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would count up to say 400 calories a day from tasting, after a number of weeks you'll know how your weight loss is going and then see if that number needs adjusted up or down.
  • fishbonz3497
    fishbonz3497 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cook for a living also and i have the same problem.I use my tasting calories as my daily snack log entry
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, you can spit out what's in your mouth and not swallow - as is done for like - extended runs of alcohol tasting. It's gross and not as convenient, but I tend to do that when I'm checking my aging cheeses (hobby cheese maker), because if I swallow everything, I WILL BE CONSTIPATED TO DEATH.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could try a couple of sample days where you do log all your tastes, then use that as the standard number you plug in on a daily basis. You may not be able to weigh and measure every taste, but you might be able to jot down what you tasted and how many tastes, then estimate the numbers later.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I bake a lot and I must also taste my food to ensure the sweet to tart ratio is correct, there's enough peanut butter or cinnamon, or the confirm the texture is correct. On those days I "quick add" a couple hundred calories (more if working with peanut butter). Of course that doesn't get macros accurate, but it's better than nothing. I think it's better to overestimate the calories you've consumed than under.
  • Traveling_chef_
    Traveling_chef_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    When I worked at culinary school as a chef I have to taste 30-60 plates a days. Solution I found :tasted, and use paper napkin to bin it.
    Others - 500cal is what we consume just from tasting during one service.

K
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    I tend to do that when I'm checking my aging cheeses (hobby cheese maker).

Totally OT but that is so cool. I have been dying to learn how to make some of the farmers cheeses we ate during homestays in Eastern Europe. Without hijacking the thread, do you have any good sourcebooks or websites you can recommend?

The only thing I’ve tried making is butter but that’s pretty idiot proof.