Zuchini boats ground chicken

benjaamin2189
benjaamin2189 Posts: 2 Member
83ucp8dayue5.jpg

Pretty tasty ground chicken sauce and cheese simple and relatively healthy would like a better sauce then store bought prego any recommendation on a healthier sauce?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Define "healthier" for your purposes and specify whether you're open to non-tomato-based sauces. Because there's not going to be much variation in calories and macronutrients across bottled or canned tomato-based sauces, unless you start looking at some that have meat or unusually high cheese content.

There will be variations in how much oil or sugar is added, but in most cases that variation is not going to be enough to make a significant difference in the calories or nutrients in a half cup of sauce, although obviously it could make a difference taste-wise. I prefer something low-sugar, myself, because I grew up eating homemade tomato sauce, and when I first tasted jarred sauce from the store, it tasted like tomato candy to me. Not in a good way.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    I’d 100% second the suggestion for making your own tomato based sauce. Plenty of recipes out there. I make it in batches and freeze in fairly small portions then use it in a huge amount of meals with surprisingly different flavour profiles. I replace even the tiny amount of sugar in my recipe with Stevia and always cut the oil in half.

I have it in the recipe builder and I think it actually comes out at less than 1cal/gram! (Just checked - it’s 59cals for 100g.