Have you tried eggplant “noodles”?

Options
AmyG1982
AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
Have you ever tried using eggplant “noodles” in spaghetti sauce?

I’ve seen recipes online and am intrigued. Curious if anyone here has tried it.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I did try to spiralise an aubergine a little while back and it wasn’t hugely successful. It tasted ok when mixed with the sauce but the texture was a bit disappointing!

I’ve discovered since that the way to do it is to use a mandolin to julienne the aubergine but I’ve not got around to giving it a go. I have an aubergine in the fridge though, so maybe that’s dinner sorted! I have a big jar of homemade tomato sauce in the fridge too! 😋
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    have not tried it with eggplant - but i do like zucchini noodles. You can buy them pre made where I live.

I havent really had them with pasta sauce - more as an addition to stir fries.
  • FriendlyNeighborhoodEngineer
    Options
    I have had zucchini noodles. they are very good, but a little difficult, because of the nature of the vegetable, to keep from watering down the red sauce. they are actually very good with an alfredo, but that kind of defeats the purpose of eating vegetable noodles. Cool story aside, I'm very interested in the idea of eggplant noodles as I very much enjoy eggplant
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    for me, I would rather just have eggplant parmesan.. but I've had spaghetti squash with sauce and love it .
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that it would work very well with an eggplant. I like my eggplant cooked enough that it's practically falling apart. For it to hold a noodle-like shape, I think it would need to be what I'd consider very undercooked.

I just simmer eggplant cubes with canned tomatoes, water, and spices until the eggplant is done. It makes a nice eggplant stew without the work of spiralizing the eggplant.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    You’re not supposed to spiralize it. Just cut it julienne and do a quick fry in hot oil for a few min and then toss with sauce.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've had good results with kohlrabi fettuccine, spiralized butternut squash and turnip noodles. I haven't tried them with spaghetti sauces, mind you. But in stir fries or roasted? Amazing.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    Tried it tonight and I have to say it was DELICIOUS! I used a julienne peeler so we got nice long skinny strips. Cooked them for about 5 min in a hot pan with a little oil, butter and garlic and topped it with spaghetti sauce and cheese. It was SOOOOO good. I liked it much better than zoodles. Because we just cooked them for a few min they were still quite firm. Might try cooking them a little longer next time but we’ll definitely have this again. Even my husband devoured it and he’s very new to low carb and loved pasta.