Sweeteners vs a bit of sugar!?

Options
Hey all!

I have been replacing my sugars with sweeteners (at gas stations opting for a drink with sweetner and low cal vs come as such) and other alternatives.

It lead me to think, are they actually okay long term? Such as things like Coke zero. In no way do I think drinking Coke zero makes it okay to drink it all the time, but for a long term thing is it better to have that or to stick to less but with proper sugar?

I appreciate everyones opinions, but facts would be even better!

Thanks!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I am afraid this thread will soon turn into a debate. There is a good thread around here with some detailed information about why you should not worry about AS that I do not have bookmarked but hopefully someone will link it for you.

I don't have any facts for you but I do believe in common sense and moderation. There is nothing, including water, that in major excess will not be harmful or even fatal. If you want to use artificial sweeteners just use a reasonable amount and you will be fine. I would not suggest, for instance, that you drink a 12 pack of coke zero each day although the caffeine would cause a problem before the AS would.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I just use sugar. It’s such a rare occurrence for me to use sweeteners, I go for the real thing.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also have my doubts on this. A friend had told me that is best to use 0 calorie sweeteners but just a max of 2 packs per day
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I always opt for diet drinks over full sugar drinks, but I drink max one can a day. I've weaned myself off using any kind of sweetener in tea and coffee. As my husband has to watch sugar like a hawk we have inevitably had less sugary foods in our house and now I find even ketchup a bit too sweet. I have found that curbing my sweet tooth has been the best help to me in keeping my sugar intake down.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally speaking, I've been drinking diet soda for as long as I've been drinking soda--so probably 40 years now and I'm still kicking. My parents firmly believe to this day that sugar makes children hyper, so I was never allowed to have sugary drinks growing up. Sodas were usually just a treat we had at my grandmother's house or if we went out to eat, but I was only allowed to have them if they were diet. I'm pretty sure I've consumed all kinds - saccharine, aspartame, stevia, splenda....and I still have a functioning brain, stomach, kidneys. Even now, I have a can or two a day of Monster Ultra and maybe diet coke too depending on if I go out to eat. Or if I'm dragging and need more caffeine. Or it's hot and I want something cold to drink while I'm running errands.

So yeah, I'm probably just a medical miracle. :D
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Anecdotally speaking, I've been drinking diet soda for as long as I've been drinking soda--so probably 40 years now and I'm still kicking. My parents firmly believe to this day that sugar makes children hyper, so I was never allowed to have sugary drinks growing up. Sodas were usually just a treat we had at my grandmother's house or if we went out to eat, but I was only allowed to have them if they were diet. I'm pretty sure I've consumed all kinds - saccharine, aspartame, stevia, splenda....and I still have a functioning brain, stomach, kidneys. Even now, I have a can or two a day of Monster Ultra and maybe diet coke too depending on if I go out to eat. Or if I'm dragging and need more caffeine. Or it's hot and I want something cold to drink while I'm running errands.

So yeah, I'm probably just a medical miracle. :D

I started drinking diet soda in middle school because I had braces and the doctor recommended not drinking regular soda to avoid decay under the brackets. Got used to the taste and now I prefer it.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I *prefer* the taste of real sugar, and I usually have the calories for it, so I use it when I want it - EXCEPT in situations like road trips or super-long work days where it's not convenient to brush my teeth periodically. I don't like the sticky, sour sensation in my mouth of having had sugar and then not brushing my teeth.

So, it's just a tool that I use to make my food do what I want.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I haven't died yet. I only drink diet soda. I do however use regular sugar in my coffee...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I prefer diet soda to non diet soda, so I drink diet soda when I want soda.

Otherwise I don't use non sugar sweeteners (I prefer coffee and tea and oats non sweetened and if I am making a dessert I am going to use real sugar).
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I use the blue packet stuff daily in my black coffee. I just ignore people who say it will kill you. These same people smoke cigs among other things that are "proven" to kill you.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Personally my concern re artificial sweeteners is regarding their effect on the gut biome. If anyone has any research they want to flag up on this?

I know I watched a program once in which they said that Stevia was the only artificial sweetener not to have a bad effect on the gut (may not have been on the biome in this program - I don’t recall the exact details, just that they recommended if you’re going to use one, make it that).?

I do however have soda & cordial that’s artificially sweetened. Possibly 1 a day on average and I dont notice any ill effects.
  • Lattesweet
    Lattesweet Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go ahead and say it but artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, sweet/low and all those diet drinks with ingredients you can’t even pronounce are terrible for you. There’s nothing natural about them. You literally are better off having real sugar but obviously in moderation.
This discussion has been closed.