Replies

• EricRSRCP
    EricRSRCP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    EricRSRCP wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You need to identify your “why” so you know why you’re doing it

I’ve decorated my workout area with progress pics of my weight loss journey, medals & pics from events, etc. These things help inspire me. Even if you have a dedicated space, you can probably find a place to hang a few things.

Im a bit confused because you said your trainer pushed you too hard and you’re not motivated to try very hard on your own. Maybe your frustration with your trainer is pulling you down other times. Have you talked to your trainer about your goals and intensity level?

I am not frustrated with my trainer. I need pushing. I don't like not doing well or getting tired aka feeling like I am failing so that is why I get frustrated. When I am alone I won't push myself quite as hard. I don't know how and where people get the energy even if they have a why. I guess my why is just to be healthier and look better.

You don't need to push your limits all the time...in reality, that's actually a really *kitten* way to train. I work with my trainer once per week and it's definitely my hardest workout of the week. My solo weight room session isn't nearly to that level, nor do they need to be. I only hit the weight room a couple times per week...the rest of my exercise is outside on my road bike, mountain bike, hiking, etc. I make more of a point to just live an active lifestyle and don't worry that this or that is not some certain intensity. It's way more important to just be active and enjoy what you're doing than powering through some sufferfest that is ultimately going to lead to quitting and not doing it.

True. You are right. Though I feel like I need to "kill" my workout every time. I do some weight training and sometimes end up not doing the exercises I intended and skipping straight to a cardio session. And sometimes I cut that cardio session short when I know I should be doing more. I was just wondering how people have the energy to kill workouts all the time, but I guess maybe they do not.

There is a woman at the gym my trainer and I joke about. She is always making a spectacle and dropping her weights really loudly. And while I never see her doing burpees that I do, she always has an intensity in what she does. She can out lift most men from what I see her clean and jerking and deadlifting. Frankly I don't know how she has the motivation and fortitude to keep it up.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    First I have some great fast music playlists I listen to. I use a recumbent bike so I'm able to read at the same time. Elliptical's music and TV. I'm always trying to beat my distance in both. Free weights I'm fired up to go up on weights as fast as possible, I have short-term goals for this. Strength machines I'm a weirdo, I love doing higher weights than the last person (not comparing to the person, just love increasing weight). I've gone up on weights just to move the pin unless it's on a way higher amount than I do.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Nothing helps me power through a lack of focus except looking in the mirror and knowing I need to workout!

During a workout I am totally self motivated to lift weights, but pretty much need to listen to/ watch something when I am doing cardio. I either watch a program on tv/dvd/netflix, or study a language with audio lessons. The distraction allows me to get a good hour in whereas 10 mins without the distraction is just boring.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    For cardio I use a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm where I want to be for that session. Unless I'm working on the punch bag when I just tend to go all out because I love it so much.

For bodyweight exercises I work to a target, whether that be time/reps.

For weights I am very picky on form and always choose to lift slow and controlled, with pauses, rather than flinging iron about. That gives me pleasure - especially if I happen to be next to a flinger.

All that said, I exercise every day but listen to my body. Some days, like today, I really go for it. Some days I feel the need to take it a bit easier. The day before a personal training session I always try to go a bit easy, because a PT day means HARD work.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I have 1-2 days per week that I know are going to be really hard. Those are the interval days, and honestly, I'm usually telling myself, "I can do anything for 20 seconds" the entire time. There are also interval days when I'm just not feeling it, so I have to pay attention to that and give what I can.

On the other days, sometimes it's all I can do to show up and get something done-swim the minimum number of laps I commit to (usually telling myself that I can get out after 10, then pushing for 10 more, then 10 more, etc), or getting through my weights in the gym. Most days, if I think about my bed (seriously), it's enough to push me through the hour. My sleep is SO important to me, and on the days when I have a workout, I am almost guaranteed a good sleep. And THAT is worth the workout.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When I find my motivation waning, I usually think of my upcoming surgery, heart disease, diabetes. That gets me back on track pretty quick.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    EricRSRCP wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    What type of workout are you doing? Do you have a plan when you work out or do you just wing it? I find that I can't stay focused, especially with strength training, unless I have a structured plan set out for me in advance.

Usually I do circuits. I have a trainer and when I am training there I have more focus, but I still get frustrated because I get pushed beyond my limits. When I am alone I try and follow my own circuits based on what we have done, but I find myself just lacking motivation by myself.

If you're doing it then it's not beyond your limits.

Some days I really push myself (especially with my PT or in classes). Some days I just do my weights and reps or a certain amount of cardio. I'm not sure quite what your issue is ... maybe you need to track your intensity / weights / reps to ensure you're consistently hitting them or improving?