Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Lowest Cal Dressings?!

xDayniexDaynie Posts: 23Member Member Posts: 23Member Member
in Recipes
Hey all, just looking for some low calorie dressings. I use a dip from the supermarket that works out to be 20cal to add to my tuna, real creamy and yum! I also use a supermarket gravy packet which works out to be 35cal per serve, I am looking now for some home made dressings to use in my salads now that in little New Zealand summer is about to hit! I love creamy, but vinegarettes are good too. Either way, the lower the calorie and the more nutrient, the better! (P.S, yoghurt is a no go for personal taste)

Thanks!

Replies

• xDayniexDaynie Posts: 23Member Member Posts: 23Member Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Bolthouse Farms dressings. They’re low calorie and delicious.

Unfortunately I am in little New Zealand and I cant find that here!
  • BarbaraHelen2013BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 803Member Member Posts: 803Member Member
    99% of the time I don’t use salad dressing but if I do feel I want to add a little dressing I’ll just squeeze lemon or lime juice or a mere drizzle of white or red wine vinegar.

I also have a couple of supermarket brands (U.K. supermarkets but I’m sure your local ones have equivalents) of low calorie dressings in the fridge. Currently, I have French Dressing and Caeser I think.

Again, most of the time I really don’t think a salad made from varied beautiful fresh ingredients needs anything!
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,443Member Member Posts: 7,443Member Member
    Kuhne yogurt based dressings are very good.
  • lporter229lporter229 Posts: 4,870Member Member Posts: 4,870Member Member
    Depending what's on my salad, I like to use Greek yogurt mixed with salsa. But most of the time I make a homemade vinagrette with garlic, dijon mustard, a dab of honey, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil. You can adjust the amount of olive oil or even add some water or juice to thin it out to the calorie count you are looking for.
  • neugebauer52neugebauer52 Posts: 1,016Member Member Posts: 1,016Member Member
    cottage cheese or yoghurt, variety of fresh herbs, lemon juice, capers for a bit of zap or ginger for a bit of zing. Voila!
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,229Member Member Posts: 4,229Member Member
    No fat yoghurt mixed with ranch dressing mix, the powdered stuff you can buy on amazon. Thin with a little milk if necessary.

Vietnamese nuoc cham is oil free.

Cambodian lime pepper sauce is oil free.

I also like a vaguely asian dressing of 1 part balsamic, 1 part nut oil (hazelnut, walnut or sesame), 1 part soy.
  • Go_DeskerciseGo_Deskercise Posts: 809Member Member Posts: 809Member Member
    Marzetti Simply 60 dressings are delicious and have 60 calories/2 tbsp
    I use the Caesar dressing with red onions, grape tomatoes and a little bit of Sriracha sauce.
  • Go_DeskerciseGo_Deskercise Posts: 809Member Member Posts: 809Member Member
    xDaynie wrote: »
    Bolthouse Farms dressings. They’re low calorie and delicious.

Unfortunately I am in little New Zealand and I cant find that here!

Amazon?
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Posts: 2,681Member Member Posts: 2,681Member Member
    I’ve been using 1 tablespoon of honey mustard dipping sauce, which is 50 calories. Looks like you may consider that high calorie, but I love it.
  • redgrudge19redgrudge19 Posts: 9Member, Premium Member Posts: 9Member, Premium Member
    I like Bragg’s aminos (zero cal) to add major flavor with just a few dashes/drops. Then I may add a touch of mustard. For premade, I like annie’s reduced fat goddess :)
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 6,789Member, Premium Member Posts: 6,789Member, Premium Member
    cottage cheese or yoghurt, variety of fresh herbs, lemon juice, capers for a bit of zap or ginger for a bit of zing. Voila!

I’d actually never thought about putting fresh herbs in a salad! Genius! 🥗
    Wondering why people respond without properly reading the post?

OP clearly says she is in New Zealand and doesn’t like (or can’t have) yoghurt based stuff. Still, the majority are suggesting yoghurt based dressings or specific brands that she is massively unlikely to be able to get in New Zealand! As for the Amazon suggestion - even if she could find the brands available they’re really going to be off the charts expensive when import tax etc is factored into the price! 🤷‍♀️

Thank you, a lot of these suggestions I have to bypass as I don't use yoghurt, and I won't pay $20 shipping for a $3 bottle of dressing. I have plenty of alternatives of those which I could get here. I am really after low calorie recipes or toppings used in salads instead of those premade high cal options
  • flotek72flotek72 Posts: 494Member Member Posts: 494Member Member
    Do you have Walden Farms?
    flotek72 wrote: »

I found a NZ supplier who sells them shipped to me for $9 NZD plus $6 shipping... BUT THEY DO LOOK WORTH IT! 5cal a serve, and it would last quite a while, that's something I would justify! Thanks for that, I never knew something like that existed. We are very "behind" on that sorta stuff here ;)
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,579Member Member Posts: 1,579Member Member
    There are a lot of recipes for low calorie, fat free dressings, just Google it. There’s one I really like using frozen raspberries. Really refreshing! Like another poster said, the high calories in dressings come from oil. Flavored vinegars are an option too.

I’d actually never thought about putting fresh herbs in a salad! Genius! 🥗

Reaelly? I dump a handlful of fresh chopped parsley, cilantro, dill, chive etc. every time. Fresh herbs can do soooo much to any dish.
    flotek72 wrote: »

Except that their salad dressings are disgusting. Just horrible stuff.