Continue weight loss or begin recomp?

Hey everyone! I am only 4 pounds away from my 100-pound goal (yay!). Once I'm there, I will be at the verrrryyyy tip top of a healthy BMI. I'm feeling pretty good about myself, but I'm definitely still way flabby (although part of that is saggy skin that I'm just stuck with until I can afford surgery).

I do like the idea of maintaining a "thicc" (lol) physique, so I'm not really looking to get toward the bottom of the healthy range. But I'm not sure at this point how I should move forward. Should I keep on cutting and hope that any muscles I have underneath eventually show up? Or do I start a recomp and possibly never see the muscles under my remaining fat?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    What is your underlying frame size? If you have a smaller frame, I'd aim for the middle of BMI and start a recomp from there. Sculpting your underlying muscle nearly always makes a positive difference in how you carry your weight, but those differences are easier to see - especially early on - if there is less adipose tissue in the way.

How fast are you currently losing? There's nothing wrong with a kind of "middle of the road" approach of gradually increasing your calories to maintenance and gradually increasing your strength training intensity over it's natural learning curve to a point where both are sustainable in the long term. Chances are, even if you start this process at the top of your BMI range, you will keep losing for a few weeks and may find yourself somewhere in the middle. Going slow will allow you to make course corrections for yourself as needed without ending too far out of line in any direction.

Your extra skin may settle and tauten up once you're in maintenance for a while, so don't count it out of the game yet.
  • OP are you strength training already? If not then now.

I have a slight frame. I’m only seeing lower body muscles and abs now at a bmi of 20. Been recomping for 2 years. Currently trying to lose couple more pounds before bulking. Bulking may not be optimal at a higher end normal bmi depending on how important seeing abs etc is to you!
  • Sorry didn’t finish. Recomping is a good option imo if you don’t want to bulk and cut. I did see results but it can be very slow so take pictures periodically so u can see the changes over time
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    OP are you strength training already? If not then now.

I have a slight frame. I’m only seeing lower body muscles and abs now at a bmi of 20. Been recomping for 2 years. Currently trying to lose couple more pounds before bulking. Bulking may not be optimal at a higher end normal bmi depending on how important seeing abs etc is to you!

On the other end of things, I have a large frame size (per wrist measurement) and even though I'm at about BMI 26, I have top 4 abs and obliques visible. At BMI 24.8 (145# @ 5'4) I'm about 18% body fat per my last bod-pod measurement.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Are you lifting already? (I hope so....)
    Are you losing at a very slow rate? (You probably want to....)
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    I have been doing some fairly light strength training along with heavy cardio.

At this point, I'm losing maybe .5-.75 pounds/week. Starting last October 9th, I've broken my weight loss down into three six-month phases. 50 pounds in the first 6, 30 pounds in the second 6, and 20 in the final 6 minths, ending in March. I've gone a bit hard on purpose ahead of the holidays so I don't have to stress out too much about the holiday food.

I'm honestly not sure what kind of frame I have? I'm average height, though, so probably medium frame?
  • Jericha1992
    Sorry didn’t finish. Recomping is a good option imo if you don’t want to bulk and cut. I did see results but it can be very slow so take pictures periodically so u can see the changes over time

Yeah, I definitely don't want to bulk and cut. Yo-yo mentality is part of what made me so large in the first place. I 100% need something that is sustainable and moderate.
  • Jericha1992
    OP are you strength training already? If not then now.

On the other end of things, I have a large frame size (per wrist measurement) and even though I'm at about BMI 26, I have top 4 abs and obliques visible. At BMI 24.8 (145# @ 5'4) I'm about 18% body fat per my last bod-pod measurement.

I have a BMI of 25.8 & my abs & obliques are visible, as well! 😄💕💪 I also have a large frame size, per wrist & elbow measurements. The smallest my waist ever was was 29 inches & I was skeletal at that point. It’s now 30, with a lot more muscle. I recomp 6 out of 7 days of the week. 😃 wishing you well, @Jericha1992 & congratulations on kicking so much butt!!

Thanks! Yeah, my bmi is currently 26 and my abs are absolutely nowhere to be found. 😂
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Time to switch up from "light strength training" - that's not going to help your goals.
    If you don't stress your muscles there's no reason for them to grow.
  • I have been doing some fairly light strength training along with heavy cardio.

At this point, I'm losing maybe .5-.75 pounds/week. Starting last October 9th, I've broken my weight loss down into three six-month phases. 50 pounds in the first 6, 30 pounds in the second 6, and 20 in the final 6 minths, ending in March. I've gone a bit hard on purpose ahead of the holidays so I don't have to stress out too much about the holiday food.

I'm honestly not sure what kind of frame I have? I'm average height, though, so probably medium frame?

Resistance training is a key part of recomping. There is a thread on recomposition in the maintenance forum I think. I’m afraid I can’t find it hoping someone can link it.

Have a look also on the gaining forum there’s a good thread called “ which lifting programme is best for you?” with some proven progressive overload programmes. Popular ones are
    Strong curves
    Strong lifts
    Thinner leaner stronger
    All pro

There are many others.

There’s lots out there, have a look at the thread and pick one that appeals and suits yr schedule.

Also, if you do want to continue to lose a bit more fat, then that’s a reasonable approach as well. Just make sure regular resistance training is part of your plan.
  • On the other end of things, I have a large frame size (per wrist measurement) and even though I'm at about BMI 26, I have top 4 abs and obliques visible. At BMI 24.8 (145# @ 5'4) I'm about 18% body fat per my last bod-pod measurement.

Wow you must have a lot more muscle than me. It’s amazing all the different variables in human bodies.