Weight training tips?

Options
Does anyone have any tips on weight training and working out? I just started working out a few days ago and want to start weight training to gain weight. I am doing home exercises during the week and gym on Saturday. Today is my next scheduled work out day (I worked out Tuesday), but my legs are still really sore. Should I still work out today even with the soreness?

Replies

• flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    keziatk wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on weight training and working out? I just started working out a few days ago and want to start weight training to gain weight. I am doing home exercises during the week and gym on Saturday. Today is my next scheduled work out day (I worked out Tuesday), but my legs are still really sore. Should I still work out today even with the soreness?

If you are feeling sore for a specific muscle group, try not to work that out and give it rest. There are various systems or programs to use that split up the muscle groups on different days to give you the most efficiency. I personally like Push, Pull, Legs, Rest (then start the cycle over).
  • keziatk
    keziatk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    Yes. Unless your soreness is from an injury, a workout will probably loosen it up and help the heal.
    Better to do a light workout than to do none, as 'sitting' will likely make the soreness worse AND cause you to go through it again later.
    Good news- when you first start is the worst of it. That wont always be like that.

Thanks Jeff! I’m going to try and do a light exercise today. Do you think it’ll be okay if I work out a little today and still go to the gym tomorrow?

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes. Unless your soreness is from an injury, a workout will probably loosen it up and help the heal.
    Better to do a light workout than to do none, as 'sitting' will likely make the soreness worse AND cause you to go through it again later.
    Good news- when you first start is the worst of it. That wont always be like that.

Thanks Jeff! I’m going to try and do a light exercise today. Do you think it’ll be okay if I work out a little today and still go to the gym tomorrow?

If you work different muscle groups, yes
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

If you work different muscle groups, yes

Yup.
    I wouldnt do squats 2 days back.to back, or heavy presses.
    But if you're doing heavy pressing tomorrow you.could do some pulling today. Or swimming is great for recovery. Or the treadmill.
    For soreness, I like low impact and blood flowing. Get the pulse up, preferably where its warm, flush that soreness (lactic acid n such) out of the muscles.
    New guys (n gals) always rush in, thinking more.is better. I recommend 3 days / week at first. But you absolutely can (and should) have ACTIVE recovery days between. Walk. Swim. Bike. SOMETHING that causes.motion and flexibility.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I generally don't work out when sore but occasionally I can power through it with decent stretching and light weights to warm up.
    Working different muscles is how most people avoid being sore and working out multiple days in a row.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Find a program you like and stick with it. I'm fond of Stronglifts as it's simple, progressive and doesn't require a huge time commitment (I'm more into endurance sports and just want to get stronger). My daughter, on the other hand, is more of an aspiring power lifter and uses a Push, Pull, Legs program.
  • zippie2223
    zippie2223 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    YouTube athlean X
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Find an established beginner program and follow that.

As for the soreness, if it is just muscle soreness (DOMS) rather than injury then, yes it is fine to work out with that soreness. In fact activity may ease it off quite a bit, I would just make sure that you warm up properly, usually by the time I've warmed up the aching has eased off quite a lot. (I train in one way or another 6 days a week, if I stopped just because of a bit of DOMS the I'd do nothing)