Most lost in a week?

SFergie1974
SFergie1974 Posts: 10 Member
edited November 2019 in Success Stories
Just out of curiosity, what is the most you have lost in a weeks time on MFP?
I am really debating on whether to follow MFP or WW.
I know you have to do what works for you, but I find that with WW I am at least trying to eat healthier foods.
Thanks all.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I understand, was just looking for feedback/opinions.
    Thanks.

In that case my suggestion would be to try each for a certain amount of time and see what works best for you.

My biggest suggestion is to lose weight slowly so you learn how to keep it off. This a marathon not a sprint :)
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited November 2019
    I've lost 5lbs on the scale since Sunday. Did I really lose 5lbs of fat in 5 days? No. I think your time window is way too limited.

Personally, watching my total calories in/total calories out works better than sticking within a points-based system with caloric foods counting as "free". But that's me. Maybe try one for a few months then the other, and see what system works for you.

When I say "works" I don't necessarily mean what makes you lose the most - but what is easiest, most comfortable for you to stick to consistently. Everyone is different, but the above graphic is true - to lose weight, you need to create a deficit. Whether you do so by counting calories or points is up to you.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You can't measure successful weight loss in a weeks time. My weight can regularly fluctuate 5 pounds up or down in a week. That doesn't mark my progress. You need to give any plan at least 4-6 weeks to notice longer term trends to see how it is working before you can make any judgements about it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    The amount one should lose is relative to their starting weight. With little exception no one should be trying to lose more than 1 percent of their total weight per week.

If you make a decision based on results you will be falling into the same trap that most people do. If you make your decision based on sustaining a small amount of weight loss over a long time, which will happen with any system, you have a better chance of being successful.

The advantage of calorie counting is consistency. There is no free food so you can't accidentally eat too much. The disadvantage of CC/MFP is there is a learning curve.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Take the time needed to gain that extra weight, multiply by two - better by three. That's how long it will take to lose that extra weight. But why bother? It's the journey to get to the destination. Enjoy!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    My weight loss is not relevant to your journey. 🙈🙉🙊

I hope you make the best choice for you. 🧡

Who would disagree with this??? smh
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Neither MFP nor WW is designed for rapid weight loss, so most weight lost in one week on MFP doesn't seem like the actual question you are trying to ask. Especially when considering your statement regarding your tendency to eat healthier with WW.

So here is my semi-unasked for input. I have used both MFP and WW. WW wasn't for me. I hated the points system and that it wasn't easy for me to look at a recipe or a nutrition label and easily do the mental math on how that would fit my goals. To me, MFP feels more like just a tool that allows me to take charge of my weight while WW felt more like an externally designed program to just be followed.

For the question you asked - I think the most I have lost in one week on MFP is 3lbs. which is not really indicative of the many other pounds have lost while using MFP nor the lessons I have learned and habits I have built.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Most I ever lost on MFP in a week was 8 lbs. but that was at the very start of losing when it comes off faster and you lose a bunch of water... and that was on a very low carb diet. Low carb I average 4lbs/ week following the same amount of MFP calories that at higher carb allows me to lose 1-2/week. (My body seems to respond well to lower carb)0
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I have lost 140 lbs on this website, most in a week would be 7.5 lbs when I had food poisoning and it coincided with the usual water weight drop after retention due to period. This means absolutely nothing, though because what you lose in a week is not a good measure for weight loss. You need more data points than that because anything can affect weight.

I haven't tried weight watchers because the concept doesn't appeal to me, but I had I tried it and lost 2-3 lb consistently vs my typical 1-2 I would have questioned the healthiness of my diet and would add more calorie-dense 0 point foods or consider a different option all together. Losing more is not better. It usually means worse nutrition, more muscle loss, hormone disruption, and potential issues down the road even if you don't feel bad yet, the least of which is hair loss.
  • I’m losing a pound or 2 a month max. That’s gonna be 60 to 120 pounds over 5 years.

I’ll stop before then but you get the drift. Many of us spend 5 years losing and regaining the same weight on diets that aren’t sustainable. You are asking the wrong question.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Like.. actual weight or "weight dropping off after massive water retention"?
    Because actual weight maybe 2-3lbs when I was obese (now maybe 2lbs a month)... the 2nd - I remember one particularly miserable week when I bloated up by almost 20lbs (and then lost those same 20lbs over the next week)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Like.. actual weight or "weight dropping off after massive water retention"?
    Because actual weight maybe 2-3lbs when I was obese (now maybe 2lbs a month)... the 2nd - I remember one particularly miserable week when I bloated up by almost 20lbs (and then lost those same 20lbs over the next week)

Yep. BTDT. It's miserable and impressive only in how much water I can put into my ankles. >_<
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!