First day back at the gym was a failure

Options
About 5 or so months ago I hurt my ankle/foot pretty bad. I was out of work a bit and had to stop going to the gym. Today was the first day I went back and it was or felt like a total failure. I tried continuing my routine and weights where I left off and I felt so out of wack. My lifts were terrible, I couldn't keep up with my weights. I left the gym because I just didn't have it in me. To anyone who has gone through this does it subside? Will just going at it consistently get me back physically and mentally?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I feel like I might be a professional injury recoverer sometimes.

Don’t start where you were. Start where you are now. Put your expectations aside and work at the level that is appropriate. Don’t maybe test your 1RM right away-but work at whatever weight feels like the right weight for whatever rep/set structure you’re doing. For now, Expect that it will be less than what you did pre-injury.

Yes, consistently working at the proper level will bring it all back physically and mentally. And it will come back much more quickly than when you first built up to it.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It would be weird if you were back at the gym after 5 months off and just able to lift like normal. It's gonna take time. Your body will come back to where you were, but it's not going to be on the first session back. Or the second. Just work your routine the best of your ability and do the weight that you can do now. Focus on completing your workouts, regardless of the weight you need to do to complete it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    My brain is where I left off but the body wasn't. I guess I just high hopes and then they were smashed.

I suspect it's just that you had very unrealistic expectations because you didn't know any better.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    5 months? A 50% deload would have been a good idea.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No offense, but why would you stop for almost half a year due to a ankle/foot. If you were talking about running i would understand, but lifting? And also, what do you expect trying to pick up where you left off in half a year. Again sorry, but this kinda stuff is obvious captain.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I mean, unless your trying to do leg lifts, i don't understand how you couldn't do any lifting that entire time. I mean, ive seen guys who lost there leg (vets) do lifting at the gym. Again, not trying to offend, i will go crawl back under my rock and leave you alone.

Good luck with your recovery though.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP you may need to make changes to your programming short term. What programme were you running before you were injured?

I’m assuming yr docs have cleared you for lifting?

You will regain your strength but it may take time.

It might be a reasonable approach to restart a novice programme but I don’t know anything about yr training history.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    starting back at full tilt is a road to another injury. I know the frustration!
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The only 'fail' you had was when you quit and walked.
    I dont know your injury so I cant say what you should or shouldnt do. But I will say I knew a guy.... Jim had his.leg broken and knee cap shattered in a car accident. Hospitalized for months, bed ridden. Then had a walker for a.while, then a cane for a while, then crutches.... idunno, over a year.
    But he found he could do bench presses and seated military presses without hurting his leg. By the time he was off the crutches he had the.most impressive chest in the place.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that you didn't just keep working above the waist with a foot and leg injury. I get the impression that your pride is getting in the way. Don't ever let it. It will hold you back. With any injury--YOU DO WHAT YOU CAN. That's a smart way to approach life. There is no shame in dialing back your workout for a couple of weeks until you're up to snuff now. I wish you luck, and be very careful that you don't re-injure yourself. Patience.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I once read that muscle wastage starts after just 3 days.
    Which is why if you've been in bed with flu for a week everything feels so hard, even just a shower or making a sandwich.
    After 5 months it's unrealistic to just jump straight in.

Be kind to yourself, you won't be starting from scratch, you just need to build up.
    It might be worth a few sessions with a trainer if you can manage it, they could have suggestions for alternatives or how to safely build back up.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Going is not a failure. The process of putting in the effort to get stronger is the goal; the actual numbers are meaningless. Go again tomorrow.