First day back at the gym was a failure

Options
2»

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Please do not listen to any armchair physicians trying to drag you down in these comments. What you experienced is normal. I injured my right quad performing a Bulgarian split squat a few years ago. It sidelined me for about 3 months, and not just on leg day. It affected every exercise. Admitting I needed to rest was difficult, but i was even more crestfallen when I went back to the gym and couldn't perform at the level I was prior to my injury. I had to get out of my own head. The ego will lead to injury and feeling of defeat. It's not a competition. Not with yourself, or anyone else. You will get back to where you were if you are patient and don't injure yourself again.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I mean, unless your trying to do leg lifts, i don't understand how you couldn't do any lifting that entire time. I mean, ive seen guys who lost there leg (vets) do lifting at the gym. Again, not trying to offend, i will go crawl back under my rock and leave you alone.

Good luck with your recovery though.

Wow really? Working out with any injury is not easy. Clearly you've never had an injury to know how they can affect everything. Those vets with one leg have been taught how to do everything with one leg.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    About 5 or so months ago I hurt my ankle/foot pretty bad. I was out of work a bit and had to stop going to the gym. Today was the first day I went back and it was or felt like a total failure. I tried continuing my routine and weights where I left off and I felt so out of wack. My lifts were terrible, I couldn't keep up with my weights. I left the gym because I just didn't have it in me. To anyone who has gone through this does it subside? Will just going at it consistently get me back physically and mentally?

It sucks going back after injury. I tend to ignore mine because I don't want to have to miss my sports

The muscles atrophy very quickly. If you were off for 5 months you're basically starting from scratch again. Give yourself time to build it back up. You'll get there but it will take time. Think of it as a challenge.
  • zoom789
    zoom789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a herniated disc that kept me out of the gym for almost three years. I've had full clearance to return (except for high torque stuff like judo) for almost a year now. Some things I still haven't gotten back to where I was.

It will take time - especially if you are older. Just keep on doing what you can and make the progress you can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    About 5 or so months ago I hurt my ankle/foot pretty bad. I was out of work a bit and had to stop going to the gym. Today was the first day I went back and it was or felt like a total failure. I tried continuing my routine and weights where I left off and I felt so out of wack. My lifts were terrible, I couldn't keep up with my weights. I left the gym because I just didn't have it in me. To anyone who has gone through this does it subside? Will just going at it consistently get me back physically and mentally?

It's not failure...there is no way in hell anyone is going to be off for 5 months and just be able to pick up where they left off.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think you went in with unrealistic expectations. Human bodies don't work at peak performance like that. I hope you're seeing now that isn't reasonable and are taking a different approach.

An important element in working out (but in other things as well) is that your best one day will not be your best tomorrow or last year or a month from now 20 years from now. So you do your best at the right here right now, and honor that, even if it's not your personal best.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that you didn't just keep working above the waist with a foot and leg injury. I get the impression that your pride is getting in the way. Don't ever let it. It will hold you back. With any injury--YOU DO WHAT YOU CAN. That's a smart way to approach life. There is no shame in dialing back your workout for a couple of weeks until you're up to snuff now. I wish you luck, and be very careful that you don't re-injure yourself. Patience.

Does it not make sense that loading and unloading plates, carrying around heavy dumb bells, and manovering over benches could stress the ankle even though op is not directly working it?? Maybe his gym has limited machines and all free weights, maybe it is super busy and machines are rarely available. Life happens. He wasn’t asking for critique on how he spent his injured time. At all.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that you didn't just keep working above the waist with a foot and leg injury. I get the impression that your pride is getting in the way. Don't ever let it. It will hold you back. With any injury--YOU DO WHAT YOU CAN. That's a smart way to approach life. There is no shame in dialing back your workout for a couple of weeks until you're up to snuff now. I wish you luck, and be very careful that you don't re-injure yourself. Patience.

Does it not make sense that loading and unloading plates, carrying around heavy dumb bells, and manovering over benches could stress the ankle even though op is not directly working it?? Maybe his gym has limited machines and all free weights, maybe it is super busy and machines are rarely available. Life happens. He wasn’t asking for critique on how he spent his injured time. At all.

Well, OP said "I could do stuff sitting down but that's a "kitten" workout". I don't think doing a workout sitting down is "kitten". That's why my reply. :) And, yes, life does happen so it pays to figure out alternatives--sometimes.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If you had significantlh progress up yo your injury point, then you should go back to tbe starting point and start from there again? Boggles my mind you actually attempted' expected and is even disappointment you couldnt pick up where you left off lol your muscle atrophied and will nedd to be stimulated to get back to where you were before your injury, i hope youre not trolling.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

This. Also, the ratio of what you get out of it versus the time spent may not be enough to be worth it. After breaking my collarbone at end of August, I tried returning to the gym in October (exactly once) for what I might be able to do... found it pretty much near useless... still waiting on further recovery before trying again. My notes at the time (from Strava) repeated here word for word....
    I had to at least try it. Summary: pretty much useless right now, and I will never take barbells for granted once I'm back in 1 piece.

Linear leg press: had to ask for help from fellow gym goer. Left at too high setting (geometry, not weight) for me to reach with legs, so had to get help to remove weight (can't handle 45s with left hand alone) and then hold the release levers while I pressed with my back to release it down. Then added 25s (ad nauseum) until working up until a somewhat usable weight. (The irony is that one has to add a bazillion more plates to this stupid contraption that serves no F'ing purpose IMO for someone with working arms. (ETA: I guess it would also serve a purpose for someone with injury to 1 leg)). Only targeted a very small specific point of quads (with both seat settings) and nothing else.
    Back Extensions: Didn't not do anything, but very barely does anything when you can't hold weight. My shoulder was fine with the motion.
    Decline bench: the motion was a problem for my shoulder. stopped at 2nd one.
    Leg Curl: (As before) strains back of knees before it does zip to the muscles. useless. actually, more than useless. Useless + potential repetitive motion injury waiting to happen if I stupidly opted to continue use.
    Single DB deadlift (had to atleast try): not enough weight to do absolutely anything.

Summary: Gym is useless until I can handle a barbell again! Zwift+trainer+(fake) hills once I'm a bit more recovered is looking more like a possible option, although I still doubt whether I have the necessary attention span.