Macros

Options
Hi all!

So I've had success in using the macros part of the app. It's helped me lose 35lbs and maintain as well.

However, I noticed that I'm having trouble now losing the last 10lbs and also want to lose the annoying spots like the stomach while building lean muscle. They say abs are made in the kitchen, and I was thinking maybe I need to adjust the percentages?

First, how do you feel about macros? And what do you recommend for someone like me? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks! And much love on all your journeys. ✌🏼❤

PS Feel free to add me. 😁

Replies

• foreverblissful
    foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    This is my two cents: I'm not an expert but based on my observations, you can get abs with virtually any set up, abs are mostly low-body fat.

There are people on keto with abs(low carb, high fat, mid protein).

There are people on a standard American diet with abs(high carb, mid protein, low fat).

There are people on high protein diets with abs(high protein, mid carb, mid fat or what have you).

I think when people reference "abs are made in the kitchen" they're talking about clean eating(plenty of veggies, greens, healthy fats, complex carbs) paired with moderate portions for your activity level. It doesn't reference a certain macro percentage or breakdown.

At what point are you in your journey? Are you sure you're eating in a deficit? For me that's been the most important thing, in the past when I've plateued it was because I was consuming too many calories(taking myself out of a reasonable deficit) and/or not working out frequently or intensively enough(remember you need cardio & strength training, muscle will burn 10x more than your 1 hour workout will over time).
  • MCeeCee
    MCeeCee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my two cents: I'm not an expert but based on my observations, you can get abs with virtually any set up, abs are mostly low-body fat.

There are people on keto with abs(low carb, high fat, mid protein).

There are people on a standard American diet with abs(high carb, mid protein, low fat).

There are people on high protein diets with abs(high protein, mid carb, mid fat or what have you).

I think when people reference "abs are made in the kitchen" they're talking about clean eating(plenty of veggies, greens, healthy fats, complex carbs) paired with moderate portions for your activity level. It doesn't reference a certain macro percentage or breakdown.

At what point are you in your journey? Are you sure you're eating in a deficit? For me that's been the most important thing, in the past when I've plateued it was because I was consuming too many calories(taking myself out of a reasonable deficit) and/or not working out frequently or intensively enough(remember you need cardio & strength training, muscle will burn 10x more than your 1 hour workout will over time).

Thank you so much! This is amazing input. I am eating clean & in a deficit and I do cardio. However, I have left out the strength training. I'll need to make time for that. I'll keep you posted. 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    What JBanx256 said (and you might want to look at her abs in her profile photo while you think over her advice ;) ).

Also, there's this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • MCeeCee
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Visible abs = low bodyfat %.

A specific, magical macronutrient breakdown to "get abs" doesn't exist. I've had visible abs on 50/25/25, 40/30/30, and (currently) 35/45/20. My macro breakdown is dependent on whether I'm cutting (and if so, how hard am I cutting and how deep into my cut am I) versus massing, etc.

Macros will also influence your satiety levels, which directly impacts your adherence to your diet (eg, if your macros make you feel ravenously hungry 24/7, you're going to have a lot harder time sticking to it).

Wow thanks for this. I currently have it at 50/20/30, based on what I read and on the advice of a trainer. Thankfully, it's helped me in feeling satisfied, where I've never felt hungry throughout the day.

Thanks so much on the advice. 🙏🏼❤
  • MCeeCee
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What JBanx256 said (and you might want to look at her abs in her profile photo while you think over her advice ;) ).

Also, there's this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Oh I did see them. Lol I'll def keep everyone's advice in mind.

And thanks for the thread. ✌🏼❤