Ketogenic Benefits

I have been on the Keto diet a few times. Unfortunately, my emotional and life situations have caused me to stop wanting to be healthy. Each time I re-enter ketosis, I immediately feel relief of arthritic pain, my skin clears up, I feel satiated throughout the day, earwax levels go to normal, bloating dissipates, and weight drops. Is anyone else currently on a ketogenic diet? I’m hoping to make this a lifestyle change for good.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Wait. Serious question. Carbs cause excess earwax? How?

Y'know, even though I'm going to get a flurry of "disagrees" on this, I think I've seen differences in earwax under different conditions of health and diet. Didn't have anything to do with carbs as far as I know, and I'm not even going to try to pin it down. Personally and only in retrospect, with the admission that it may be purely coincidental stuff, I had drier earwax (which tended to build up) over the period when I had undiagnosed cancer, and softer after treatment in remission; and there seems to be somewhat less buildup during periods when my diet is overall more balanced (not sure if that's actually about quantity produced vs. how much sticks around, or even just imaginary).

The human brain likes to see causation where there's only really coincidence-based correlation, and pretty scant correlation at that. Ear wax is a bodily secretion. Is it affected by diet in some way? Probably, it seems to me. Can one draw any conclusions from it? I'm thinking not. Quick search finds no relevant research, but I didn't try very hard.

This is a really weird thing, IMO, to claim as a benefit of keto (or any other diet). How much earwax should we have, and of what nature? :lol:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited November 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Y'know, even though I'm going to get a flurry of "disagrees" on this, I think I've seen differences in earwax under different conditions of health and diet. Didn't have anything to do with carbs as far as I know, and I'm not even going to try to pin it down. Personally and only in retrospect, with the admission that it may be purely coincidental stuff, I had drier earwax (which tended to build up) over the period when I had undiagnosed cancer, and softer after treatment in remission; and there seems to be somewhat less buildup during periods when my diet is overall more balanced (not sure if that's actually about quantity produced vs. how much sticks around, or even just imaginary).

The human brain likes to see causation where there's only really coincidence-based correlation, and pretty scant correlation at that. Ear wax is a bodily secretion. Is it affected by diet in some way? Probably, it seems to me. Can one draw any conclusions from it? I'm thinking not. Quick search finds no relevant research, but I didn't try very hard.

This is a really weird thing, IMO, to claim as a benefit of keto (or any other diet). How much earwax should we have, and of what nature? :lol:

Yeah, I went down the rabbithole in my head, but just asked the one question here. Nobody talks about ear wax. I have so many questions. I'm sure my GP will be thrilled with all my ear wax questions at my next checkup :smiley:
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    For me, ear wax from allergies kinda correlates with nose. Runny nose=runny ear wax. Stopped up nose=stopped up ears.
    No allergies=no problems, ear or nose. Allergies worse + lots of sugar = even worse allergy problems, ear wax on pillow and in hair in the morning, nose runny all night long.
    Makes sense to me that a food allergy would cause more ear wax. (Or food intolerance).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yeah, I went down the rabbithole in my head, but just asked the one question here. Nobody talks about ear wax. I have so many questions. I'm sure my GP will be thrilled with all my ear wax questions at my next checkup :smiley:

If you learn anything useful, please report back. I'm already hectoring my GP about a couple of issues that I personally actually care about, so I can't afford to use my 15 minutes up on ear wax questions right now. ;)