Does myfitnesspal factor gender in "calories burned" from exercise?

Do the calorie estimates for exercise on myfitnesspal factor in gender? Or are they based on the [male] estimates from the past (and therefore wrong for all women using the app)?

I know that treadmills use data based on a 150lb man, so they are always an over-estimate for women. I am wondering if myfitnesspal has corrected this error, or if they are using the same biased data as everyone else.

If the latter, then it would be wonderful to see myfitnesspal lead the way in including women in their underlying data and design in the future!

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dritta81 wrote: »
    Gender is not irrelevant. I realize that muscle mass is not some magical man-thing. And I know how physics works.

I also know that ALL estimates of calories burned are ESTIMATES. Duh. And now I know that ALL estimates on this platform are based on men, and not on women. Yes, they are still estimates. And they are estimates that fail to account for half of the population. That means for ALL women on this platform, the estimates are less good than for ALL of the men. And yes, I believe that is a problem.

Male bodies are not the default. Men's data is not "good enough" for women, especially when it is falsely presented as "neutral". My source for the "10-30%" statistic is the book "Invisible Women: Data bias in a world designed for men", which has sources, but also does not go in depth about the specific numbers because (surprise!) those numbers are very hard to find unless you are a fitness researcher or a multi-million dollar fitness platform that has the resources to search them out.

My question was asking "how good is this data for the average women?" and it has been answered. The answer is: not very good at all. Thanks to everyone for the patronizing and mansplaining along the way.

If you get on a bike with a power meter and you put out the same wattage as I do you're going to burn less calories than me because I'm a guy? Funny...

It depends; are you going downhill fast?