Does myfitnesspal factor gender in "calories burned" from exercise?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    LOL. Now I feel like I'm going to disappoint.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited November 2019
    Okay serious question though, why doesn't it? I understand that it may be too complicated to factor in things like gender and height into an exercise calorie calculator, and so MET is good enough, but men do burn through exercise (even if slightly) more calories than women, don't they? If one was doing a TDEE formula, that would be accounted for, since that is based off of BMR and multipliers. For instance, my BMR on MFP is 1,846 calories a day. But if I switch my gender to female, it is 1690. If I use a TDEE calculator to include my exercise and activity (which uses a BMR that's basically identical to MFP), I get 2,870 as man and 2,613 as a female. So it essentially adds a around 100 extra calories based on my exercise activity for me being male than female.

I understand the explanation of METS being developed with both men and women, and it working as a general "good enough" for most people. And using it doesn't mean that MFP is set up for men and not women. But the idea that men and women burn somewhat different amounts doing the same exercise doesn't seem to be a wrong idea. If it is, then BMR and TDEE calculators wouldn't factor gender in the calculations.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Okay serious question though, why doesn't it? I understand that it may be too complicated to factor in things like gender and height into an exercise calorie calculator, and so MET is good enough, but men do burn through exercise (even if slightly) more calories than women, don't they? If one was doing a TDEE formula, that would be accounted for, since that is based off of BMR and multipliers. For instance, my BMR on MFP is 1,846 calories a day. But if I switch my gender to female, it is 1690. If I use a TDEE calculator to include my exercise and activity (which uses a BMR that's basically identical to MFP), I get 2,870 as man and 2,613 as a female. So it essentially adds a bit over 100 extra calories based on my exercise activity for me being male than female.

I understand the explanation of METS being developed with both men and women, and it working as a general "good enough" for most people. And using it doesn't mean that MFP is set up for men and not women. But the idea that men and women burn somewhat different amounts doing the same exercise doesn't seem to be a wrong idea. If it is, then BMR and TDEE calculators wouldn't factor gender in the calculations.

Where gender causes the biggest difference for BMR is the size of the most metabolically active organs.
    Same age, height, weight - not that huge of difference.
    Those organs though ....

That fact is also why the BMR formulas (like Katch) based off LBM actually show a variation between genders even though it's not a gender specific formula.

Now that's a formula worth complaining about.
    Same LBM between genders is more metabolic organ for the men, more muscle for the women.
    And we all know how much little extra calories muscle actually burns.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1522233
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0022732

Buried in a spreadsheet somewhere is what that difference above and below the formula resulted in for reality.