Interactions on Fitbit App

Options
Hey Fitbit folks,

I won a Versa 2 Special Edition and since I've always been a loyal Garmin user for years (on my second Vivoactive--I wear the 3 now), though curious about Fitbit, I decided to give it a go and compare the two (more on that later).

There are some differences in interactions on the app between the two. Most noticeably the messages. I have notifications turned off, but I see notifications/messages when I open the app to sync.

I've had many messages from men with such content of "Hey," "Hey there," "How's your day?" "What are you up to?" I felt like I logged into OK Cupid by mistake. Is this normal? Do men treat it like a dating site? The Garmin app doesn't really foster interaction like that (that I've noticed). The "men messaging" has been pervasive enough that I thought I would post here and ask since I know many folks here are Fitbit users. My profile pic on the Fitbit site is me when I'm 4 (same one I have here), and I have no other pics of me posted.

Thanks for any insight!

Replies

• Anne1882
    Anne1882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've owned fitbits for about 5-6 years and have never had that problem. I'd just ignore or block them. Most people are super nice!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I don’t even have a profile picture on Fitbit but I’ve had a few of these messages. But I’ve had similar things on Pinterest too...I just think it happens online 🤷‍♀️

Sad, but true!

Ignore or block if that works on whatever platform or just shrug and move on!
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced that with Fitbit. I do have friends but any interaction is fitness related. We do a lot of challenges. Sorry you're having issues. It really is a great tool!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Only if I've added them as "friends" do I sometimes get weird messages like that but then I just unfriend them and it stops
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    But I swear that if I saw that picture I would definitely try to friend you!

And you look almost the same now anyway 😉😎

Not as badly as you; but there do seem to exist people with 100s of friends... thus instant perma-ban on their request!✖️
  • carlenebyrd
    carlenebyrd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yup I had my charge for a year but I just ignore them.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've been using fitbit since 2011 and never had a single message from a stranger. Must be a privacy settings thing? I only have 2 fitbit friends and I don't think anyone else can view my profile on there.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I've been using fitbit since 2011 and never had a single message from a stranger. Must be a privacy settings thing? I only have 2 fitbit friends and I don't think anyone else can view my profile on there.

Thank you! I must have overlooked the whole privacy setting when I set Fitbit up! I’ve just changed mine from ‘public’ to ‘friends’. Surprised that the default seems to be ‘public’ in this day and age.

I have only one friend and that’s my eldest daughter so I’m assuming that will solve the issue for me at least. 😊
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Thank you! I must have overlooked the whole privacy setting when I set Fitbit up! I’ve just changed mine from ‘public’ to ‘friends’. Surprised that the default seems to be ‘public’ in this day and age.

I have only one friend and that’s my eldest daughter so I’m assuming that will solve the issue for me at least. 😊

You're welcome!