Anyone Tried Raspberry Ketones/Garcinia Cambogia?

I saw this article in Women's Health magazine about Raspberry Ketones used in combination with Garcinia Cambogia extracts. Both are 100% natural extracts taken from fruits, and they are supposed to be amazing with helping you lose weight. The woman who works at Women's Health who tried it lost something like 25 pounds in a month while using the extracts. I normally don't believe in weight loss supplements and pills because I know that most of them are gimmicks and they just want your money. However, these two companies were offering free one-month samples because they were so confident that they will work, so I ordered some and figured it was worth a try. I'm on day 3 of taking them now, and was just wondering if anyone has tried them or had any luck with them? Thanks =)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    There is NO ZERO ZILCH NADA scientific evidence that these work beyond the placebo effect. Save your money.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Not sure if serious :ohwell: really hope this is a joke :noway: if not I'd cancel your card now, the Raspberry Ketones website states
    "If you do not cancel, we will charge £ 84.95 on the day your trial period ends to the card you provided at checkout and you will continue with the auto delivery program."
    The other site states "If you do not cancel, we will charge £69.95 on the day your trial period ends to the card you provided at checkout and you will continue with the auto delivery program"
    Good luck with that :flowerforyou:
  • lisa_latif
    lisa_latif Posts: 22 Member
    I never gave a credit card, so there's no way they can charge me. Just wondering if anyone has tried it, no need to tell me it's a bad idea or I'm going to get ripped off, and I know the possible side effects. =)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I never gave a credit card, so there's no way they can charge me. Just wondering if anyone has tried it, no need to tell me it's a bad idea or I'm going to get ripped off, and I know the possible side effects. =)

Yes, lots and lots and lots of suckers have tried it. It's what keeps the companies in business.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    I've tried all those supplements (largely because I'm just a natural healing buff--not because I truly thought they would work) and definitely saw no weight loss. I do have a SMALL amount of extra energy when taking Garcinia Cambogia (it's available as an add in for my fitness shakes) but nothing more than a cup of coffee and a bowl of spinach would give me. I'd say save your money. Best thing in my opinion EVER to buy for weight loss would be a good quality sugar free fiber supplement (I like the capsules because I find them more portable). You can take some before each meal and i find that I eat less, it helps me digest, and it keeps your sugar levels more stable so you're fuller longer. THAT is my true best diet supplement out there!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I have not tried it. There's absolutely ZERO research that shows that one or both works.

from http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/raspberry-ketone/sbwire-258935.htm :

"Garcinia cambogia contains a chemical called chemical hydroxycitric acid. Despite the hype, there is no existing evidence to support any effectiveness for weight loss from hydroxycitric acid or garcinia cambogia supplements. This substance has been researched for weight loss for over 15 years, but with no positive results to speak of. A research study in 1998 involving 135 people concluded that garcinia cambogia was no better than a placebo for weight reduction. There have been other studies and none of them were able to demonstrate weight loss success. Additionally, there are potential serious negative side effects from its use."

and

"there are no known serious negative side effects from raspberry ketones at this time, research on the substance is very limited so consumers should consult a licensed physician prior to taking them, especially if they have any medical conditions."

... note there's zero information on any studies involving raspberry ketones. In other words, it's a bunch of hooey and you should cancel your trial.
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    what's the name of the fiber stuff?
    I've been searching for some for myself, but would love your recommendation?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Pills do not work. Those two extracts have not been proven to do anything. There is no point wasting money and risking your health on them.

Diet pills are not regulated. Just because they are labelled as all natural, fruit extracts, herbal, etc doesn't mean that they will not be harmful or interact with other things you are taking.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    I noticed a line around the block at the drug store this morning. Must have been all the people lined up for these magic pills. Of course they do lighten your wallet. Quite looking for the magic elixir. The way to lose weight is eat right, have a calorie deficiet and exercise.
  • I tried the garcinia...3 weeks and nothing. A teeny bit more energy but that is all
  • emceeoftheburg
    emceeoftheburg Posts: 8 Member
    I took a combo of Garcinia Cambogia, Raspberry Ketones, and Green Coffee Bean Extract for a few weeks, and didn't notice anything where my weight was concerned. I did notice a change in inches though. While taking these extracts, I lost about 8-10 inches where I measured (Arms, Waist, Hips, Thigh). So that's interesting...I've stopped taking them, but may start up again once I'm in school.
  • paillen
    paillen Posts: 1 Member
    The Women's Health website you saw (it was suggested on my timeline as a link on FB), is illegally using the Women's Health endorsement (it's a fake endorsement). Women's Health has an alert on their website about this fake site (see http://www.womenshealthmag.com/african-mango-diet-pills-womens-health). They clearly state that they do not endorse the products.

As others noted, the Ketone supplement site automatically enrolls you in a subscription service and you have 14 days to cancel. When you call to cancel, odds are they will be really really hard to get through, and will then try to persuade you over and over with various "deals" to change your mind. The other site's TOS states they do not enroll in a subscription.

As others noted, there is no magic pill - but fibre is a good helper to hard work and consistency.
  • SandyHeartsYoga
    SandyHeartsYoga Posts: 3 Member
    I've tried it before but I was doing a few things on the side as well. Honestly - I never take weight loss pills but I was just getting past my pregnancy and was no longer breast feeding so I gave it a shot.

Personally, I walked away thinking it worked pretty well but I wouldn't recommend trying anything until you talk to your doctor. Check out the Dr. OZ video about it - he is a really big proponent of it -- video: http://www.garciniatoloseweight.com/

Sandy
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Anything Dr Oz says I do the opposite.
  • Shayley20
    Shayley20 Posts: 31 Member
    I used Raspberry Ketones for a month. I lost a couple pounds... but I wouldn't sum it up to the ketones. I had started eating better, and working out at the same time I started using ketones. I wouldn't waste your money... take it from someone who used them everyday twice a day.
  • I was using Raspberry Ketones, Green Coffee Bean extract and an appetite suppressant with apple pectin in it; all from walmart for about five dollars a bottle. I should say that where I was SUPPOSED to take it twice a day, I always forgot my second dose, so I really only took them in the morning with breakfast. I felt that they helped suppress my hunger and so I ate less but I didn't see any major weight loss.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Newsflash: there is ZERO scientific evidence that proves that raspberry ketones, green tea extract, or any other supplement does ANYTHING other than lighten your wallet. Use common sense and save your hard earned money. Whether it was a convincing ad in a magazine or Dr. Oz told you to do it doesn't make it true.

As the old saying goes, A fool and his money are soon parted...
  • atibrat
    atibrat Posts: 70 Member
    I have purchased the Garcinia Gambogia but have never taken it on a regular basis. It did seem like the days I did take it my appetite and especially cravings for sweets were reduced drastically but I was not sure if it was just in my mind. I lost 20 pounds in the last 6 months by using MFP and doing Jenny Craig (part time) I am a life time member and get the food because #1 I like it and #2 I have lupus and a herniated disc in my neck so shopping and cooking are painful and having something to pop into the microwave is easier for me and I am less apt to just grab whatever. I have not lost anything in the last 6 weeks due to the Holidays but I did maintain for the most part. I am going to start the garcinia today and hope that it helps me lose faster. I was 209 in July and am now 192 and the scale does not WANT TO BUDGE. I am having a hard time sticking to the Jenny craig food because I am hungry all the time.

Would like to be friends and will be supportive and need help to keep my mouth on track LOL

Tammy
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    personal experience- my 33 yr old sister had to had a liver transplant. She had acute liver failure, it was awful for all of us watching her with yellow eyes, yellow feet and bad itching, and coma. She definitely was taking supplements but denied it. I ask that you consider the risks of liver failures with these herbals floating around. I never want to see anyone I'm close to in that situation. Had a liver not come through, I'd be speaking of a sister that passed on. thank God she's ok now, but it's so not worth the risks.