Healthy flour

Options
13»

Replies

• vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try spelt. An ancient wheat grain with more goodies in it than modern wheat strains. It doesn't bloat me which is a bonus :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    In the shops in Australia I've not seen cake flour till recently but it's pretty easy to make up yourself apparently from a mix of a couple of flours. I'm 53 so no things are not the same everywhere. Never heard of it even much till recently and I have worked in the cooking industry too.

I can't imagine how you could make it yourself from a mix of other flours, since the protein content is lower than all-purpose flour (a.k.a. plain or white flour), bread flour (obviously), and even pastry flour.

And I agree things aren't the same everywhere, but I wouldn't suggest marmite is "new" just because I never saw it in U.S. shops until 30 or 40 years ago, or that vegemite simply doesn't exist because I've never seen it in a U.S. shop.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/cake-flour-substitute/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    In the shops in Australia I've not seen cake flour till recently but it's pretty easy to make up yourself apparently from a mix of a couple of flours. I'm 53 so no things are not the same everywhere. Never heard of it even much till recently and I have worked in the cooking industry too.

I can't imagine how you could make it yourself from a mix of other flours, since the protein content is lower than all-purpose flour (a.k.a. plain or white flour), bread flour (obviously), and even pastry flour.

And I agree things aren't the same everywhere, but I wouldn't suggest marmite is "new" just because I never saw it in U.S. shops until 30 or 40 years ago, or that vegemite simply doesn't exist because I've never seen it in a U.S. shop.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/cake-flour-substitute/

Cornstarch isn't flour.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I use unbleached all purpose flour for most of my baking. If a recipe calls for something special, I will use it so I have whole wheat on hand and will buy others as needed. Most of my baking is desserts and bread so all purpose is the general use. It does seem to work better for bread than bleached does but I have not noticed any difference in any of my other baking.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    :) It's called corn flour here.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    :) It's called corn flour here.

But it's still just the starch (isolated from the rest of the grain), even if you call it corn flour (note that the site you pointed to calls it cornstarch, so apparently created by someone in a part of the world where cornstarch and cornflour, i.e., cornmeal, are different products). :smile:
  • mockchoc
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ...and who really cares since this discussion is going on too long and not relevant to the original post. It was just one I picked out drop of the hat. The original place I saw it was from a blogger that lives where it's called corn flour. Have a nice week.