Any plant based convenience foods?

lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I am lazy. I am trying to add more plant based foods into my diet. I am trying a wellness plan through our insurance and that is their focus.

My husband does our grocery shopping and I am not sure what to put on the list. I bring a snack to work and need a lunch that is easy, so I don’t graze. Dinners are fine. I have more time in the evening. I don’t plan on going vegan, just less granola bars and more vegetables.

I have just started and already getting bored. I have added salads and protein blend (microwaveable) as meals.I like fruit, which is easy.

Do they make things like hummus and veggies or pita bread, or veggies with dip, snack size? Any convenient meals that look good. Any soups that taste good?

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Do they make things like hummus and veggies or pita bread, or veggies with dip, snack size? Any convenient meals that look good. Any soups that taste good?

I like Amy's brand soups, especially the split pea and lentil ones. I buy the low sodium versions because the sodium in canned soup is sky high.

My grocery store sells hummus, but I rarely buy it because the calories are so high.

My favorite meal is lentils with stir-fried vegetables or with a salad. One cup (8 oz) has 18 grams of protein, the same as a Greek yogurt or 3 eggs. Pinto beans, black beans, and other beans have similar protein. You can cook beans from scratch or buy canned and rinse off the sodium. Lentils are easy because they don't require presoaking.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    I'm a vegan, and I agree with the previous post recommending no-sodium-added canned beans and lentils for easy protein. For snacks, I eat tons of plain veggies and fruits! Nothing easier than grabbing a banana or handful of carrots. If you're trying to eat plant-based, that should include staying away from processed snacks and oils. Try to a stick to a diet mostly of veggies, fruits, beans, legumes, and nuts. I've lost 50 pounds eating this way and feel fantastic. It takes a few weeks for your taste buds to adjust to the lack of processed flavors etc. but after that it gets easy and you'll find you actually crave the plant-based foods. Good luck!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I agree with the idea of going out shopping with your partner. I can tell you what we have here, but that will likely be different than what you have access to. That said, there's no reason why you can't make your own hummus and pita and portion them out into "snack sizes". That would be far more economical.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Dried or dehydrated fruit is always a good choice. Keeps a long time so I can keep the bags in my office at work.

I buy it at the local dollar store for a dollar each bag, dah... So much less expensive then anywhere else and I like it all, peaches, apples, strawberries, bananas, blue berries, ect...
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Do they make things like hummus and veggies or pita bread, or veggies with dip, snack size?

Yes, they do have snack sizes of these, but it’s more economical to purchase these items in regular sizes and portion them out. Doesn’t really take much effort.

This ^^^^^^
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @lorib642
    I am trying to add more plant based foods into my diet. I am trying a wellness plan through our insurance and that is their focus.

There's all kinds of plant based shakes out there now for Grab-N-Go portable lunch choices. I get bored with shakes because they don't offer as much satiety factor but have you tried...they have all kinds of products.

530_fermented_vanilla_gb_820x.png?v=1528218086
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I am going to send you a message because I used to live in your area and I can make specific recommendations :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    You asked for plant based convenience foods. You'll find a myriad of individual vege servings in any big grocery store. Throw in some protein and you're good to go.

https://plantfusion.com/products/complete-plant-protein?variant=3732320878632

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    nuzziek wrote: »
    I'm a vegan, and I agree with the previous post recommending no-sodium-added canned beans and lentils for easy protein. For snacks, I eat tons of plain veggies and fruits! Nothing easier than grabbing a banana or handful of carrots. If you're trying to eat plant-based, that should include staying away from processed snacks and oils. Try to a stick to a diet mostly of veggies, fruits, beans, legumes, and nuts. I've lost 50 pounds eating this way and feel fantastic. It takes a few weeks for your taste buds to adjust to the lack of processed flavors etc. but after that it gets easy and you'll find you actually crave the plant-based foods. Good luck!

^^ I agree with this -- there's nothing easier than grabbing some veggies or fruit for snacks. One of my favorite snacks is a banana or an apple with almonds (28 almonds have about 170 calories and 6 grams of protein). No prep, no cooking, no washing dishes.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    For veggies, you can get baby carrots, prewashed celery stalks, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas,and then some cucumbers and bell peppers to cut yourself. Do all the prep at once and throw them in a Tupperware in the fridge, then take a variety each day. If you have access to a warehouse store (Costco, etc), you can probably pick up individual hummus for a decent price. Or individual guacamole.

I also really like the frozen edamame in individual bags. Three minutes in the microwave for a good snack. Plus, the dry roasted version of edamame is good for a crunchy, salty snack.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Also, for quick meals, there are several brands of vegetarian/vegan frozen foods that don't have a lot of "extra" ingredients. I'm particularly fond of products from Sweet Earth.

PS: Also a lazy cook - virtually everything I eat is easy/fast. I eat pescatarian, but mostly vegetarian. My diary is open to friends if you are interested.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    If you really want ready-made single size packaged hummus, and don't mind the added expense over tupperwaring them at home, then Sabra makes these cute little snack hummus-and-flat-pretzel deals I've seen at the supermarket. I like Sabra brand hummus, but haven't bought any of this particular variety so can't 100% vouch for them. Enjoy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    nuzziek wrote: »

^^ I agree with this -- there's nothing easier than grabbing some veggies or fruit for snacks. One of my favorite snacks is a banana or an apple with almonds (28 almonds have about 170 calories and 6 grams of protein). No prep, no cooking, no washing dishes.

Yep, I'm a big fan of fruit plus nuts as a snack (and I'm an omnivore.)

I do weigh nuts, as their calories add up fast!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    My go to’s when I need something quick:

Veggie burgers

Superfood bowls (quinoa, black beans, veggies)

Vegan burritos like Amy’s

Bob’s protein powders
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Laziest decent meal - frozen veggie patty on toast or whatever with a bag of freezer veg.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Laziest decent meal - frozen veggie patty on toast or whatever with a bag of freezer veg.

That's exactly what we ate Wednesday. I was babysitting for a friend all day and needed something super easy.

•Boca Turk'y Patty
    •Slims/rounds (my sub for buns)
    •Ultra thin cheddar slice
    •Sliced avocado (my husband's contribution; he is always willing to cut an avocado)
    •Frozen broccoli
    •Spray butter on broccoli

Under 350 calories and decent nutrition. I probably added a mini chocolate bar for dessert.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2019
    If you have an Aldi they have a ton of little prepacked things in the refrigerated section. Snack sized things of hummus, cheeses, I'm honestly not really sure because I don't buy any of it lol, but I know there's a lot of options. They also have salad kits you could eat and add a protein to if you want. They also have these quinoa power bowl type things in the freezer section.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Thank you. Yes, we do have an Aldi.