Are you Keto and vegan?

Options
13»

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My Daughter is Pescatarian in the Navy ...No she didn’t chose the Navy to get freasher fish lol. She’s naturally only likes fish y vegan options she’s healthy but has an active lifestyle a well balanced meal approaches.
    More than one Vegan or Vegetarian option first figure out what you eat well for your health condition add what you would like to add to that see which fits it for you.
    I got my Dads side the meat eaters (in his 60’s) /Mom (died awhile back in her 70’s ate meat after marrying Dad) was Vegetarian y Vegan family members. Her oldest sister fully Vegan is in her 90’s now her husband too .
    Decide strict Vegetarian,Vegan,or regular Keto if you feel the one you choose doesn’t fit you try another.

Smart to research before hand. I’m on a freash food diet with Keto. Most natural the better from natural grains to meats for me. Took awhile to find what works for me. Everyone in my household has their own diet plans since none are 1 size fits all got to be tailored to you.

Some soy meats are high in sodium so read labels.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles- I use a hand one turn turn turn crack the old knuckles turn turn turn lol. I like them fresh then in a frying pan with Pam spray heats up so quick ready to go put the sauce on y anything you want. I love that!

Amazon to a few book stores have vegan keto cook books web has recipes.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/g4837/vegan-keto-recipes/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I’m sorry but I wouldn’t risk my health for a documentary. If Keto is working then continue eating meat. Also being plant based is seriously flawed because I’m South Asian, and you should see how burnt the Indian labourers hands get just to get out cashews! It’s sooooo unethical! Also don’t get me started on cocoa farmers from African countries who have never tasted the chocolate that they grow? There’s flaws in the meat industry, the dairy and other food industries. Just to grown one almond in California uses up so much water where there is already a shortage. It’s about being ethical vs non ethical. The rest is up to you.

How can one possibly compare harvesting cashews, cocoa beans and almonds to slaughtering a sentient living breathing being?

With the cashew example, the poster was talking about how cashew harvesting hurts the workers, not the cashews :)

I don't buy conventionally raised pork, and even if I did, I wouldn't buy it from Smithfield, because of how they abuse their employees.

Got ya! Thanks for the clarification!
    My only thing with all of that is while I definitely feel for the human aspect I really truly only care about the animals, who have no voice and who are horribly abused :(

That's pretty awful. It's as though you're going out of your way to fuel all the worst vegan stereotypes held by omnivores. Some people live in situations where their choice is to work on the farms owned by someone else, at the wages they set, under whatever dangerous conditions they set, inhaling whatever toxins or carcinogens the landowner chooses to use, or to starve.

Because the picture you're painting is pretty medieval, I just wanted to point out for others (as I'm sure you already know this) that farm worker abuse takes place in the US: https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/world/ciw-fair-food-program-freedom-project/index.html
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    banshee925 wrote: »
    capnrus789 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I use keto for medical reasons and the food plan options are vegan too so they must be compatible.

I was watch a documentary on the health benefits of going vegan. The scientific evidence of how much better it is for strengthening, energy and the digestive system.

Which documentary?

The game changers

Go listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast, the recent show with Chris Kresser. Go in with an open mind and try to limit any self serving bias you may have. A vegan-keto diet is going to be very restrictive and difficult to follow, and may ultimately be harmful to your long term health if you're not very, very careful.

Thank you 😊

I’m very open minded and love meat so looking into this thoroughly before trying it, but if I do go down that path I’ll be using professional guidance on my meal plans.

This is pretty much the antithesis of what you said earlier when you said that you essentially didn't want to/were unwilling to see an RD (which said post below also contradicts):
    1. I am not asking for advice regarding my medical condition or it vs keto. Keto works perfectly for my medical health and medical professionals have monitored this but thank you.

Using professional guidance, in this case, means seeking and following the advice of an RD who is has a lot of experience and/or is trained in working with populations with your condition(s) as well as consulting with your doctors.